Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Trans bearing failing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Trans bearing failing?

I freely admit, “What is this noise” threads are mostly a waste of everyone’s time,,, I MOD on another board, and do a fair amount of Tech replies for a few models.. I know how hard it is to answer a users question about something that is heard and felt, but not visual. All that said.. I have a sound and vibration I’m trying to diagnose

It may be present at other times, but it is very noticeable and repeatable when down shifting to a lower gear. As you let out the clutch, there is a vibration and a … feeling of .. friction? Not grinding, but, well, it makes me think of a roller or ball bearing that is worn badly, at the vibration and friction between two metals you would feel from that. Or Hell if you own a large drill press or mill.. If you were to use a dull tool, no lube, and start a big cut in a ferrous metal…. That’s the sound and feeling I’m getting. If you pull in the clutch as this vibration is felt / heard.. it goes away. So, makes me think trans….One bearing or another has failed and I’m getting that metal on metal friction from that.

Anyone had a trans or countershaft bearing fail on the SH? Read about it on this or another forum? Seems if it’s out there it’s not common.
I only have a few weeks left in country,, really do not want to spend it with the motor on the bench if I’m missing a simple solution.
Have to work today, but figure when I get home. Drop the oil,, see what metal comes out. Check the CS sprocket and attachment (it is new, 1000 mile or so, and the only thing changed or added besides MCCT’s since the new vibration has come up) check the chain, dry, bad links ect ect. Check the CS for free rotation with the chain off.. no drag, or binding felt. The clutch cover was coming off today anyway to reinstall a Factory Pro shifter kit… so we will see if anything on that side is not looking well. If nothing, I’ll pull the valve covers have a look, after that.. I think I’ll need to pull the motor and have a detailed look at the trans…boooooooooooooo. It’s only a days job.. But waiting on parts means, it goes back together just in time to store the bike for a year.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Actually, I've had that little bearing at the end of the clutch pushrod shaft go bad. One time, when I was digging around to replace something else, I spun it by hand and it felt gritty. I never heard a noise but I don't think it had gotten very bad at that point. I'm wondering if this could be the culprit. Under normal operation the bearing just kind of free wheels. When you pull the clutch in it loads up the bearing, just like putting preload on it, and the noise goes away.

I kind of doubt you have a gearbox bearing going bad. If so, it would have to be the secondary (output) shaft or else it wouldn't go away when the clutch is disengaged. You should be able to put the gearbox in neutral and remove the chain so you can rotate the shaft by hand. You'll feel the gears/dogs of course, but if a bearing is that bad you should be able to tell.

Let us know what you find out!

Last edited by JamieDaugherty; 01-10-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? It's like being able to look inside of a running motor, as you move the probe and touch one component or another the sound of the turning parts generates visual imagery. If it doesn't sound liquid as you listen, then that is where you might want to open her up for a look.

Mine was under $20.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? It's like being able to look inside of a running motor, as you move the probe and touch one component or another the sound of the turning parts generates visual imagery. If it doesn't sound liquid as you listen, then that is where you might want to open her up for a look.

Mine was under $20.
When I was a teenager tuning a 283 Chevy an old timer came up to me with a piece of garden hose. His words, " Listen to it"
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Oil showed no metal at all, counter shaft feels ok, no drag or binding, clutch release bearing is ok, the only thing I found was the indication that the chain has / was/ may still be rubbing the sprocket cover, just a bit...and that would be the right "feeling" right type of friction.

Yes I have a mechanic's stethoscope... but ahh, kind of hard to use it going down the road to listen for the noise...., might be fun to try though..kind of going to be hard to explain to the state trooper.

So.... not sure, about to button it all back up and take for a test ride... We'll see what happens...
Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
For a stethescope, you can hold a big screwdriver to the areas and put the handle to your ear. Its just as easy and everyone has a screwdriver. You will definately be able to tell when something is not right.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
.....the only thing I found was the indication that the chain has / was/ may still be rubbing the sprocket cover, just a bit...and that would be the right "feeling" right type of friction.

How did that happen? Was something loose?
Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
How did that happen? Was something loose?
Not sure chain was adjusted correctly, I am 1 tooth down in front so really I do not think it happened in reference to my current issue. It was just an observation.

Did not get it finished up ast night.. garage is warming up now..... So we will see real soon
Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Don't ya hate it when things fix them selfs with no apparent reason.....
Upon reassembly and test ride.... the aforementioned noise and vibration is gone, the shifter is now back to being silky smooth.. and all is well with the force.

Other then lubing the chain well, removing and replacing the CS sprocket cover, replacing the drum stopper arm, spring and star center on the shift drum with Factory Pro items, removing and replacing the clutch basket, hub, pressure plate and putting some fresh Silkolene full Ester synthetic oil in... I did nothing that should have fixed the issue.. But something did.. So alls well that ends well I guess.... Just strange. Was sure I was going to find metal in the oil... went all up hill from there