Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chain tensioners failing? (not ccts)

Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Chain tensioners failing? (not ccts)

The last two times I have adjusted my rear wheel to adjust the chain, I've noticed the wheel seems to be moving forward after adjustment.

My last adjustment was 2 weeks ago, and I just did it again. Last time I set it I was right at the far end of the green marker, close to replacement but still green. Today it was about 1/4 of the way into the new section (closer to green), and the chain was obviously loose. It still falls within the green zone when adjusted, but it seems that the tensioners are spinning and causing slack.

Has anyone experienced this before? Would new tensioners do the trick, or should I just locktite every adjustment?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Is your axle bolt torqued to spec after adjustment? (69 ft/lbs) The chain adjusters don't hold the tension to the chain once the axle bolt is tight.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine View Post
Is your axle bolt torqued to spec after adjustment? (69 ft/lbs) The chain adjusters don't hold the tension to the chain once the axle bolt is tight.
+1
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well try this:

After you have the adjusters set to the proper place out a rag on the lower run of the chain by the sprocket .

Then rotate the wheel so the rag is between the chain and sprocket. This will pull the wheel tight on the adjusters.

Tighten the rear axle bolt.

Remove the rag and re-snug the adjusters.

I am,what I would consider, a pretty high mileage guy and have gone through more rear tires than I could keep track of and I'm still using the original adjusters, so no I don't think your are worn out.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
The problem probably occurred right at the time of adjusting the chain, rather than down the road somewhere.

Keep the axle nut a little snug. Start with the wheel forward and use the adjusters to pull it back against the friction. Then bind the chain and torque the nut. Nothing should have moved.

I use the 8mm wrench that I have handy during this time to bind the chain. A rag sounds good too.