Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Back Marker

Blurr is on a distinguished road
Exhaust leak?

I noticed the other day my Jardine slip ons were hissing there is a little leak on the right side on the bottom clamp.........also I heard a ticking down the bottom of the bike there is a clamp missing down off the engine going onto the other part of the exhaust......Would exhaust leaks be bad for the bike ? Cause it to backfire? Is there any goo I could put around the pipes to make a better seal or ?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
are you talking about where the slip on mounts to the stock header ?

here is a breakdown:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...0&parent=13160

notice there are seals. you can try & use a permatex gasket glue ( or whatever brand your store carries )
but i have found it works best for tight fitting joints. try new high guage clamps first.

tim
Old 05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Back Marker

Well the one clamp on the underside of the bike coming out the back cyl is loose and theres not even a bolt in there and then the clamp for the slip on where it meets the stock pipe is hissing and you can feel it coming out.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Back Marker

Yeah I need to get a bolt to clamp the main exhaust out of the rear cyl.......but the other clamp down where the slip on mid pipe meets the stock pipe no matter what I do has a little leak and its wont go on any farther down the pipe and like it almost seems theres a little crack on the stock part....

anyone know if I could just take it to a muffler shop and have them clamp everything down or throw a little weld to fix things or should I mess around further or go to a bike shop?

Are the stock header pipes expensive?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Back Marker

Well I got some uber gasket maker stuff copper goo put it on the pipe slid it on and everything let it set and yeah no more leak from what I could tell. Seems the jardine clamps just arent very good...
Still need to get a bolt on the back cyl and see what I can do there

Seems slip ons are sure a pain in the ***, I assume I full systems go on the same way?

Hmmm wonder if the Leo Vince are any better
Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
yes they are a pain in the ***. especially high-mounts. I went through the same struggle. eventually I had to resort to automobile exhaust clamps because the bike ones were just too flimsy. I used some high temp gasket sealant and tightened them as tight as I possibly could. now no leak. but damn it was a months long battle. I think I'm gonna take it to a welder at some point soon anyway and make them truly permanent. they are hindle titanuims so they will never need repacking anyway.