Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Jardine RT-One High Mount Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Squid

vtr_rider
Jardine RT-One High Mount Exhaust Leak

I'm getting a bit of leak after the installation of my Jardine pipes, those clamps are cranked down tight but it sounds and feels (only burnt myself a couple of times, damn they get hot quick) like some exhaust is escaping at the right pipe where it joins the header by the footpeg.
Any suggestions? Has anyone ever use some kind of high temp sealant? Plus, my left side pipe doesn't fit flush with the ridge around the header under the bike on the left side, yet I haven't found any leaks...
Old 08-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Squid

tjayswift
Re: Jardine RT-One High Mount Exhaust Leak

As for the left side, I had to bend the mouth of one of my pipes (Jardines) just a little to get it to slide all the way up- I just wrapped a towel around it (so as not to scratch it), and bent it out 1mm or so on each side with a vice grip... the clamp bent it back upon tightening, anyway. It looks and works just fine.

On the right, first I would try the towel and vice grip trick, only bend the mouth of the pipe in instead of out. You may need to be a bit more precise on that manuver, and by that I mean make a few smaller bends all the way around, instead of a couple of larger ones. If that doesn't work, there are a couple of other tricks- you could go the more involved route and try to locate some of the sticky back metal tape stuff (there was some inside the neck of my Yoshis). Or you could go the cheap route and try to wrap some aluminum foil around the smaller pipe before you join the two. That may require some of the bending technique discussed in paragraph #1.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:41 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Jardine RT-One High Mount Exhaust Leak

I have the Jardine RT-One oval pipes and had neirther of the two problems you both described. I have used the orange high temo exhaust silicone sealent on other header/slip-on connections with great success. Just wipe the excess off while it is still wet and pliable or you will wish you had.