Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Did a bad bad thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Squid

Mactank is on a distinguished road
Did a bad bad thing

Jumped my bike with the car battery and all I get now is click, click, click. No turn over, nothing. Anybody have any idea what I blew up?
from the idiot
Old 04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
maybe only still have a dead battery? I've had bad luck jumping mine as well - I don't know anything about electricity but never have any luck jumping the SH batter with the car - but I haven't hurt anything trying either.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Normally there isn't a problem jumping a bike with a car battery, I have done it afew times when I had no other option - I would highly suggest that the car is not running when you do it though. A 12volt battery is a 12 volt battery just one has a lot higher cranking power. Check for dirty connections including the wire at the starter and make sure they are clean and tight. You can jump the starter solenoid (the thing thats clicking) if the starter engages it could be a bad solenoid - had one get tired on my '84 VT500FT. Check the fuses as well...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar thing happen. Not when I jumped with the car battery, that was ok. But the click, click, no start.

I had corroded terminals on the starter relay, mounted on the rear subframe on the left side. Pull the connector off and check the terminals. It's been a long time, but that's my recollection.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Back Marker

TheRezyReb is on a distinguished road
If you use a car batt. make sure the car is not running, this can fry you rectifer regulator.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:43 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheRezyReb
If you use a car batt. make sure the car is not running, this can fry you rectifer regulator.
Not really. It's all 12vdc, shouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
I HAVE HAD TO JUMP MINE WHEN I FIRST PICKED IT UP IT WAS FINE. RICK IS RIGHT 12 VOLTS IS 12 VOLTS
Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Squid

Sincerest Gratitude guys am worried though

Do see on a schematic that the starter relay does have a 30 amp fuse, so am hoping that it blew and protected the electric's. Will check all connects too.
Anyone now how to check a starter relay to see if it's still good should the fuse not be blown?

BUT, I did have the CAR running when I did it. ( dumb... I now.
Certainly hope it's not the R/R, thinking that's kinda pricey.

Again, thank you all for responding in my time of desperation.
Mac
Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Squid

RC 51 and Penske Shock

Cliby,
Had inquired about having the rear shock re-worked but was told it's a "sealed" unit and cannot be done. Aftermarket wise what would you say I should pay for a new (used if I can find and rebuild if necessary) shock?
Also, are there any major mods to get the RC51 front end to drop in?
Mac
Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
You could have worn starter contacts. Check the fuse and relay first.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I think I have jumped mine as much as ten times? and all the times I have had the car running... no problems at all... (I had a tad R/R problems last summer)

You just need to know what you are doing, that's all...

Connect the black cable to the bikes frame and the cars frame, then hook the red one to the positive pole on the car battery... lay it to the battery pole on the bike and press the starter, promptly remove it once the bike starts...

Or hook up both battery poles to each other and spend the next millenia changing fuses and repairing the ECU on both car and bike...
Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mactank
Cliby,
Had inquired about having the rear shock re-worked but was told it's a "sealed" unit and cannot be done.
Mac
Well I'll jump in here and say that whoever told you that is full of it. Unless Honda redesigned the shock (which I can't believe) it can be rebuilt. I had mine re valved and re sprung by Lindemann (http://www.le-suspension.com/)
back in '98 and just got it back for having the oil changed for the second time in it (well it is 10 yrs old now) and it works great for street applications. If you're going to the track, then I would get an aftermarket unit but for street work a rebuilt stocker works just fine.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:43 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The starter relay connector is a slip-on deal.

Pull it off and check for corrosion. I cleaned mine and it worked like a champ.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well I'll jump in here and say that whoever told you that is full of it. Unless Honda redesigned the shock (which I can't believe) it can be rebuilt. I had mine re valved and re sprung by Lindemann (http://www.le-suspension.com/)
back in '98 and just got it back for having the oil changed for the second time in it (well it is 10 yrs old now) and it works great for street applications. If you're going to the track, then I would get an aftermarket unit but for street work a rebuilt stocker works just fine.
are there many other places that do the same type of work?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sassage
are there many other places that do the same type of work?
Any good suspension shop should be able to do it.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:46 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
click click click on any of the superhawks I've had was always a dead battery
Old 04-19-2008, 06:27 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PRTSMN
I HAVE HAD TO JUMP MINE WHEN I FIRST PICKED IT UP IT WAS FINE. RICK IS RIGHT 12 VOLTS IS 12 VOLTS
The difference is this...

YYX12-BS - 180 cold cranking amps

Average car battery - ~600 cold cranking amps
Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I had a buddy back in ~2000 that had a Victory no more than 3 weeks old. For some reason his battery went dead. When he went to jump the bike using a car he completely fried his wiring harness. Dunno about the design of the electrical system on that bike and I'd think a fuse would have given way first, but after seeing that I learned not to do it on my own bikes.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
The difference is this...

YYX12-BS - 180 cold cranking amps

Average car battery - ~600 cold cranking amps
That just means more power available, it won't make the motorcycle draw more. (the starter will only draw the amps it uses no matter how many are available)

With a good functioning wiring harness the # of amps available doesn't matter.

However if there is a fault in the bike's wiring the car battery now has the amperage to melt the wires etc much more easily.

You can kinda think of it like a water pipe, the amps is the size of the pipe, the voltage is the water pressure. If you increase the water pressure it will force things badly, if you only increase the size of the pipe you have more water available, but it isn't pressing any harder. Not exact but kinda the idea.

Last edited by lazn; 04-20-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 PM
SuperBike

pretty good analogy but I would go with comparing a water tank of 50 gallons to one with 500 gallons both using the same size pipe and the same pressure... I do have a degree in electronics so unless like lazn said there is an electrical problem in the bike OR someone messes up and reverses the polarity there should be no ill effects. I would however as I said before not have the car/truck running while jumping the bike.

Originally Posted by lazn
That just means more power available, it won't make the motorcycle draw more. (the starter will only draw the amps it uses no matter how many are available)

With a good functioning wiring harness the # of amps available doesn't matter.

However if there is a fault in the bike's wiring the car battery now has the amperage to melt the wires etc much more easily.

You can kinda think of it like a water pipe, the amps is the size of the pipe, the voltage is the water pressure. If you increase the water pressure it will force things badly, if you only increase the size of the pipe you have more water available, but it isn't pressing any harder. Not exact but kinda the idea.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I just don't see what difference running or not could make. The 800 or however many amps are coming from the battery, not the charging system. So the amps are in the system if the car is running or not.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM
SuperBike

It probably doesn't but if the car is putting out 15.5 which is not uncommon it could make an already iffy R/R or ECU go bad... Since some of these that have had R/R failures were running just fine with 18+ v with the exception of blowing light bulbs I don't think the ECU will mind if the car is running or not. I have always heard to not have the car running so I go with that advice, AAA road service also recommends this to their tow truck drivers when jumping a bike... your results may vary.

Originally Posted by drew_c14
I just don't see what difference running or not could make. The 800 or however many amps are coming from the battery, not the charging system. So the amps are in the system if the car is running or not.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:07 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
The only issue is the higher charge rate of the auto. Of course, assuming your polarity (red-positive, black-negative) is correct.
You can overdrive the battery with prolonged high (4-8 amp) charge rates. Thats why battery chargers come with the 2 amp rate for small equipment.
An electrical engineer with the system design info could tell you if high charge rates will damage the regulator and associated circuits. My guess is, it will.