Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

picture of rear caliper mounted needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
picture of rear caliper mounted needed

i'm putting my rear tire back on and can't seem to figure out how the heck the caliper sat in there. there is a slot in the caliper that looks like it should go over the nub that is welded to the swingarm, but i don't remember taking it off that way. i think it was just floating on the axle... the manual has crappy pics...anyone have time to take a few pics so i get it right? any input?

thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 06:10 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
sorry, I wish I had taken a picture - I just changed my tires this weekend so remounted the wheel yesterday. the caliper almost slides over it from back to front - its a groove and slot. It helps a lot to have the wheel on top of a 2X4 or something similar (assuming your using a rear swingarm stand) to get the wheel up in the air so you aren't balancing it. Just lay the caliper in the grove - you'll know its right before you try the wheel in there because the hole in the caliper will line up with the swingarm axle hole. then just roll the wheel in. then if you have someone watching while you lift the wheel up with both hands and once they tell you all the holes are lined up they can slide in the axle. be sure both left and right spacer are still lined up. PIA doing it alone.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
The slot on the caliper unit does fit over the rib on the swingarm. I put that on first. Make sure there is enough space between brake pads for the rotor to slide in. If the rear of the bike is just high enough for the tire to clear the ground, you can lift the bottom of the tire with your foot as you line up the rotor and push it through the pads. Then I sit to the side and line it up to fit the axle with both feet and one hand as I push in the axle with the other hand.