Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

clutch squeal

Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
clutch squeal

every so often if i slip the clutch with too much gas, the clutch squeals. what does that mean? funny thing is, my accord race car used to do it too....never figured out what it was.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
That's normal for the S'Hawk. I've not figured out what it is either. Just don't abuse the clutch. Best time I got at the track was a slightly quicker street start and then just hammer it.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
That's normal for the S'Hawk. I've not figured out what it is either. Just don't abuse the clutch. Best time I got at the track was a slightly quicker street start and then just hammer it.
so ur saying u get that same noise?
Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had the same thing happen a few times on hard starts... it's a little bit alarming when I hear it. Glad to hear it's somewhat typical of the bike though.

Funny, but I didn't notice it @ the one trackday I've done on this bike. One time I came in mid-session. The adrenaline was up & when the track marshall released me back onto the track I did a good sized wheelie out of the pits... backed off so as not to loop it, brought it down sorta hard & then wheelied again on to the track. That was pretty cool.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
I've had the same thing happen a few times on hard starts... it's a little bit alarming when I hear it. Glad to hear it's somewhat typical of the bike though.

Funny, but I didn't notice it @ the one trackday I've done on this bike. One time I came in mid-session. The adrenaline was up & when the track marshall released me back onto the track I did a good sized wheelie out of the pits... backed off so as not to loop it, brought it down sorta hard & then wheelied again on to the track. That was pretty cool.
odd thing is both my track vehicles do it...weird stuff
Old 05-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Squid

JesseW.
my superhawk used to do it lot until i changed the cutch and springs (kevlar EBC and stiffer springs). It still happens some but not as bad. The steel plates still looked brand new though with 40,000 miles on them. and i know the 12,000 i have put on it were hard miles.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Squid

streetfighter996 is on a distinguished road
oil film between the plates causes the plates to momentarily slip, or hydroplane upon initial engagment. Yamaha has had several models to do it, and it seems to show up worse with a hydraulic clutch, probably because of slow retraction of the slave cyl. Mine has done it for the first 20k, then I installed new plates,springs,polished the slave piston to cut friction, and switched to motul ester oil.I am not sure what actually cured it, but it is as good as a hydraulic clutch gets now, with no squak.