Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

RJL pads squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
RJL pads squeal

Not a high pitched squeak but kind of a low frequency hum just before stop. I tried removing and sanding the pads, resurfacing & sanding the rotor then going over it with a ball hone. After a couple days it comes back.

Havent had the issue with other pad. The RJL's are allegedly the best, most durable most powerful but I may have to change em out.

I tried the auto disc brake quiet but it just made a mess. I have heard they make backing pads to help but havent found them.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Not a high pitched squeak but kind of a low frequency hum just before stop. I tried removing and sanding the pads, resurfacing & sanding the rotor then going over it with a ball hone. After a couple days it comes back.

Havent had the issue with other pad. The RJL's are allegedly the best, most durable most powerful but I may have to change em out.

I tried the auto disc brake quiet but it just made a mess. I have heard they make backing pads to help but havent found them.
Changing the pads will be the simple solution, what type of rotors you run on your bike? I'm assuming it's your street one.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have an old set of pads with the metal backing shims, try putting those on the new pads. Also, sometimes it helps to bevel the leading and trailing edges of the pads if they are not already that way from the manufacturer. If these 2 things do not help, a different pad compound is the best cure.

Maybe these pads are made to work with a different rotor alloy than what you have now?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
RJL pads on my bike with OEM rotors and F4I calipers do not squeal at all, never have. I can hear just a bit of noise / vibration from the drilled rotors / friction/ pad interaction as i come to a stop.. But that's it.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 AM
MotoGP

Yeah beerhunter, I wish I could find those metal backing plates. All my cbrs had em but the ron ayers fiche doesnt show them so maybe they come with the pads?

Google has mentioned autoparts stores may have aftermarket backing plate material.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
They come with most pads... Usually they are also stuck to the pads with a bent over tab or similar...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 AM
MotoGP

So I chamfered all the leading edges. Changes the sound of the moan but its still there. Gonna call around tomorrow for the ebc brake shims to solve it.