Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch Problem. Need Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Squid

mill7163 is on a distinguished road
Clutch Problem. Need Help!!!!!

I take my bike out for the first time after winter and my clutch isn't working that grate. I replace the fluid, bleed the lines of any air and it starts working again. Two days go by and it starts to act up again. This time I completely disassemble the clutch assembly including the piston set and make sure everything is clean and good to go. In the process I found some metal shavings in and around the piston (obviously not good!!!), but other than that everything looked to be in tip-top shape. Anyway, I put everything back together and the clutch wont even engage now. When I pump the lever it pushes fluid through the lines, but there seems to be no resistance with the lever or very much pressure build up in the lines. The only think I can think of is to buy a new piston set for $40 and see what that does. Am I being a retard and missing something? Is this a common problem with hydraulic clutches. Do they need to be replaced all the time? I'm lost for words and don't know what to do? Any advice?

Jeff
Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
I dont see where a piston set will help you. unless its leaking the piston "is" moving assuming your MC is actually pumping as it should be.i would power bleed the entire clutch system first a couple times b4 i started ordering parts. you prolly still got air in the system from trying to do the pump handle fast open valve close pump fast again routine.alot of times that will not purge the air from the MC and the clutch will not operate.one more silly thing i gotta ask is did you put the clutch rod back in ? or did you even take it out and clean it ? when you say engage do you mean release the clutch or or engage like so you will move..?

ok ok after rereading your post pull your clutch rod and clean it off its prolly stuck in the pilot shaft which will cause intermediate operation.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Check the push rod and make sure it moves freely. When you are bleeding the clutch, is your bike on the side stand? If it is you mite still have air trapped in the line. Because of the angle of the bike it makes the bango bolt the high piont in the system and can trap air in the master cylinder. Try standing the bike up vertical and turning the bars to the right. Then pull the cover off the master and try a 1/4 pump of the lever a couple of times and see if there is any air bubles coming up through when you release the lever.
Hope this helps.
Chris
Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Squid

mill7163 is on a distinguished road
so, I took the right crank case cover off to take a look at my clutch. From the looks of it everything is in good shape. All of the clutch plates and friction disks are above the service width and appear to be waring evenly if any at all. So I am back to square one on trying to figure out what is going on with my clutch. My next thought is to go out and buy a power bleeder. I have been doing a lot of reading and a lot of people have said when you bleed your lines out completely it really hard to get all of the air out of the system when doing it the old fashioned way of pumping the clutch lever (correct if I am wrong). Anyway, you guys have any other ideas or thoughts?

Jeff
Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the power bleeder and did you get the gasket on the clutch side off in one piece ? nothing worse than a tiny leak(cant be runnin around looking like a harley .