Problem with shifting from 1th into 2nd...need help...please

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
Problem with shifting from 1th into 2nd...need help...please

Hi all,

Has anyone ever had problem with shifting from 1st into 2nd gear? Sometimes when I'm downshifting from higher gears into 1th and then from 1st into 2nd the shifter seems to pop back into neutral, it's almost like it's not catching onto the 2nd gear and comes back down. I can really feel that there's a force pushing down on the shifter into neutral. This is happening almost under any kinds of riding conditions like either going fast or slow. The bike has had this problem since day one when I first picked it up at the dealership. I rode my friend's gixxer 1000 and the shifting is just so smooth 1st into 2nd and I ride it the same way as I ride my superhawk. I don't know if it's just me the way I'm riding or if there's some problem with the gears or if the bike just needs some adjustments.

I did a couple big wheelies before and one time when the front end dropped down I accidentally shifted into 2nd without the use of clutch. Is this gonna hurt the bike? It's happened twice so far.

Any answers or suggestions will be helpfully. Thanks a lot!!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:25 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Problem with shifting from 1th into 2nd...need help...pl

it won't hurt it shifting without the clutch. I used to have issues with the 1-2 shift but never when I was downshifting to 1st from 2nd... what solved all my shifting problems was going gp shift. Now it's 1 up 5 down. Couldn't be happier
Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

My SH also had 1st to 2nd issues when I bought it last year (had 56 miles on it) I heard about the Factory Pro shift arm (not the full kit with the shift star) and it helps alot. May be worth looking into for your problem.

http://www.factorypro.com/

Rick B
02 SH
Old 05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy

Originally Posted by RickB";p=&quot
My SH also had 1st to 2nd issues when I bought it last year (had 56 miles on it) I heard about the Factory Pro shift arm (not the full kit with the shift star) and it helps alot. May be worth looking into for your problem.

Rick B
02 SH
Hi Rich,

Do you still have problem with shifting 1st into 2nd? Does the shifter pop back into neutral when doing so? I'd bring the bike back to the dealership if there's really a problem but if it's something that every SH owner experiences then maybe I will just ride it the way it is.

Maybe there's a recall on the bike I don't know about, mine's 2003 model.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

It really sucks when you hit neutral in a wheelie going from first into second gear!!! ouch!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:19 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
The nutcracker not so sweet. Where in CT are you Hawk guy? I lived in Hebron till I was 19.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Try letting your clutch out a little bit when you go from 2nd to 1st before going from 1st to 2nd.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy

To Superhawk 22:

I live in Farmington, CT. Just moved there last month. Where are u now?

To marmaladeboy:

Either way it's happening. This happens everytime I ride, I also noticed that if I downshift into neutral from higher gears and stop the bike completely while it's in neutral, let out the clutch, put it in 1st, get it going and shift into 2nd the problem seems to go away; but if I downshift into neutral while the bike's still rolling at low speed, put it into 1st, get it going again and then shift it into 2nd then the problem occurs. It would catch on 2nd gear but it just doesn't feel right. I rode my friends' gixxers and R1's I never had any problem like this.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
MotoGP

I'm in sunny Palm beach Florida now, I couldn't take the cold. I had friends in Farmington and Unionville, some nice roads in that area, a little bumpy though. I used to have the shifting problem as well and I stumbled on an expensive fix. I bought rearsets for more ground clearence for the track and it shifts much better now. I think it's got more leverage from the longer shift rod. You can try to adjust your shift lever down a spline or 2 somtimes it helps.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

the superhawk has always been touchy shifting from 1st into 2nd. the trick is to time your shift for the right rpm. if you get it right, its smooth as silk. if you get it wrong, it will stay in nuetral. and after a while, sometimes you second guess yourself so you don't get on it right after you shift to second, you end up feeling it out. don't know what to tell you about trouble downshifting, unless something's wrong wiht the bike. if you're at a stop and you can't get it into neutral, try rolling it forward and back while pressing down on the shift lever. I've noticed this a few times on my hawk, but I've had to do that with every bike I've owned from time to time. and at least with the superhawk, this trick always worked.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a couple of tricks to help your shifting one is free the other will cost some money. I have done both and shifting is greatly improved on the VTR.

Free Option:
By all means do this before you ride again.

-Set your bike on level ground (side stand or on a race stand)
-Measure from the tip of your shifter toe to the ground, get exact measurement from a good reference point on the shifter toe where your toe meets it. Write the measurement down as the "rest measurement".
- Now Push the shifter down as far as it will go and measure to ground again, write down as the "bottom measurement".
-Finally Push the shifter up as far as it will go and measure to the ground, write down as the "up measurement".

If i recall the difference between the up and down measurements will be 7/8".

So the trick is to change the up to down overall measurement to 3/4" or an 1/8" less than it is now. What this does is when you move the shifter toe 3/4" it still moves the internal shaft the same resulting in more leverage.

Now for the adjustment
-The goal is to shorten the shift throw while returning the shifter "rest" position back to the original location so your toe fits as before you started.
-Loosen the shifter adjuster jam nuts; note one is reverse threaded.
-Remove the shiter arm from the shaft and move one or two teeth Clockwise (best i recall it is clockwise, its been 2 or 3 years since i did this) on the spline and tighten back to factory specs.
-Adjust the shifter back to the original "rest measurement" you made to the ground when you started and tighten everything.

You should notice a better shift from 1st to 2nd and all other gears.

Cost Option:
Install the Factory Pro Shift Kit.
This sucker makes the shifting pop into the next gear.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:26 AM
Squid

DavidH1172
GILLES REARSETS BABY!!!!! THAT WILL SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Have a look at a thread I started on this issue a while ago. Not sure what it is called, but it is something to do with shifting anyway. I think I called it "improving the gearshift".

The short version of the story is to replace the joints in the gear linkages with heim joints to remove all the slop in the standard set-up. Works very well and is well worth the small effort and minimal cost.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:38 AM
SuperBike

Occasionally the shift still gives me problem but its a lot better wit the Factory Pro detent arm/spring kit. Like others have mentioned, rpm and speed do seem to affect how it shifts first to second. I believe its just a Honda "quirk" as I have had the same thing on other models including my '92 Nighthawk 750 I bought brand new...

Rick B
02 SH

Originally Posted by The Hawk Guy";p=&quot
Originally Posted by RickB";p=&quot

Rick B
02 SH
Hi Rich,

Do you still have problem with shifting 1st into 2nd? Does the shifter pop back into neutral when doing so? I'd bring the bike back to the dealership if there's really a problem but if it's something that every SH owner experiences then maybe I will just ride it the way it is.

Maybe there's a recall on the bike I don't know about, mine's 2003 model.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

First the Super Hawks shifting from 1st to 2nd is an issue but it IS NOT a Honda issue. I have a VFR and a VF500f and they shift like a dream; there can be not better gearbox as far as shifting goes as that in the VFR. No noise no clunk always smooth and quite! I also installed the Factory shift spring, arm and star wheel and it is a 75% improvement (still not close to the VFR). I find that with the Factory kit my gear box shifts best with the shift mechanism in the original position and not rotated to reduce movement as many use with the stock set up where it many in fact shift better. With the Factory kit it is best in the stock poison no doubt about it (IMO) as I have done a lot of A-B comparisons. JIM

Rich B - what shift arm are you using for thr 1 up 5 down set up? JIM
Old 05-02-2006, 06:56 AM
SuperBike

Sorry to disagree but it would seem to be a Honda design issue for certain models - if the Factory Pro parts make it a lot better which they do then Honda could have designed it better in the first place. Having been on the Nighthawk 750 lists and the VTR lists there are tons of 1st to 2nd shift issues... thousands of folks can't be imagining the same shift issues. I have also had other Hondas with real nice gearboxes such as my VT500FT Ascot and Hawk GTs

You are correct that the VFR has a much better gearbox.

Rick B
02 SH

Originally Posted by Jim TT";p=&quot
First the Super Hawks shifting from 1st to 2nd is an issue but it IS NOT a Honda issue. I have a VFR and a VF500f and they shift like a dream; there can be not better gearbox as far as shifting goes as that in the VFR.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

Rich, I have owned 15 Hondas since I bought my CL90 in '68. The Super Hawk is among the worst shifitng Hondas I have owned. My 1981 CB750F was also bad, 1st to second was iffy; my 1969 CB350 was very bad when it got hot. Over all I would say most Hondas shift better than the Super Hawk. Anyway you didn't answer my question about your 1 up 5 down set up: what shift lever are you suing to make it work? JIM
Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 AM
SuperBike

My SH is stock shifter and shift pattern, only change is the factory pro spring/detent arm kit without the shift star. I have had a '73 CB500 4cyl, '84 VT500FT, several '88 - '90 Hawk GTs, '92 CB750 Nighthawk (same shift issues), '95 Ducati 916 (shifted nice, didn't like the clutch much), a few dual sport/enduros and the '02 SH - it did shift crappy until I put in the kit now its like you said 75% better. Honda could have designed a better transmission to start with imho.

Like I have mentioned I have seen lots of complaints on the '91 up CB750 Nighthawks and the Superhawks with 1 to 2 shift issues.

Originally Posted by Jim TT";p=&quot
Rich, I have owned 15 Hondas since I bought my CL90 in '68. The Super Hawk is among the worst shifitng Hondas I have owned. My 1981 CB750F was also bad, 1st to second was iffy; my 1969 CB350 was very bad when it got hot. Over all I would say most Hondas shift better than the Super Hawk. Anyway you didn't answer my question about ypur 1 up 5 down set up: what shift lever are you suing to make it work? JIM
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

JimTT I think it was EngineNo9 that did the GP shift. So Engine do tell.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

Thanks '22 you are right.

Rich I agree, could have been better. BTW no one has mentioned this as far as I can remember but I notice my hawk is not so much RPM sensitive as it is throttle sensitive, that is if I roll off before clutching I get a clunky shift where as if I am on the gas when I pull the clutch I get a quick sinc- in shift. It seems all that crank weight free wheeling results in a quicker engagement that if it is slowed at all.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy

Hi Rick,

I have to agree with you on the CB750 Nighthawk shifting issues 1st into 2nd. I forgot to let you guys know that I also have an 93' CB750 Nighthawk. I bought it 3 years ago and I've noticed the same shifting issues similiar to the Superhawk. ARE ALL THE HONDA BIKES LIKE THAT? That makes me nervous about buying HONDA again the next time.

Is the dealership responsible to fix the problem or maybe I should just ride it the way it is if it's really the design problem.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:55 PM
SuperBike

I bought my '92 brand new and the dealership said it was normal for that bike. Not all Hondas have shifting issues which is a good thing!

Rick B

Originally Posted by The Hawk Guy";p=&quot
Hi Rick,

I have to agree with you on the CB750 Nighthawk shifting issues 1st into 2nd. I forgot to let you guys know that I also have an 93' CB750 Nighthawk. I bought it 3 years ago and I've noticed the same shifting issues similiar to the Superhawk. ARE ALL THE HONDA BIKES LIKE THAT? That makes me nervous about buying HONDA again the next time.

Is the dealership responsible to fix the problem or maybe I should just ride it the way it is if it's really the design problem.