Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch problem - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Squid

JasChen is on a distinguished road
Clutch problem - Please help!

I have a 99 VTR1000 that I normally ride in the summer. I hopped on a few weeks ago and noticed the clutch was very soft. So after starting it and warming it up and pumping it nothing helped. When I tried to engaged it into the first gear, it seems like I was already in gear and I stalled like I forgot to engage the clutch.

After a few inspections I noticed the clutch fluid reserve was empty. I flushed the clutch system and got the clutch feel was back, but the clutch still didn't disengage. Just like I"m in first.

Is my clutch cable gone? My master cylinder gone? Clutch/plate gone?

Thank you for the help.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
No clutch cable on these as they are hydraulic. Sounds like you have a leaky seal somewhere. I would strart with the clutch slave cylinder on the sprocket cover.

(:-})
Old 04-23-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
also check the rod that pushes the clutch appart from the slave and make sure it is intact and not sticking, and make sure that the system is properly bled, one little air bubble can cause a whole lot of issues. start pulling, open the bleeder, once clutch lever is all the way in hold it and close the bleeder, if you let go even the slightest bit it will pull air back into the system.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Likely didn't bleed it fully. When flushing the system, bleed it like you would brake lines, but pump the clutch lever several times between bleeds. Watch the fluid reservoir for bubbles to come out... often they get trapped in the master cylinder and will cause the system to go soft.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Personally at this point I would first remove the slave cylinder.
Take it apart and clean it.

Put it all back together and then bleed the system, but that is just me....
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

You say that because...... it's a damn good idea.. I've worked on several VTR's now that had clutch issues, everyone of them had sludge in the slave cylinder.

A through cleaning of the slave cylinder, master cylinder, and a correct bleeding has fixed all but one, and it needed seals in the MC.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Squid

So that's exactly what I'm going to try. I already bought a MC rebuild kit and I'm going to try and replace the internals. I'm also going to clean out the slave as well. I hope that fixes the problem. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Do the slave first as that's easier :-) The m/c has a tricky internal circlip ;-)

With the slave if grit gets in there it can scratch the bore and leak hydraulic fluid around the gear lever, sidestand area. Wet&dry the bore smooth and replace seal if needed should fix. Other alternatives is that the Honda Blackbird clutch slave unit is a straight swap.

When bleeding keep filling the reservoir little and often so the fluid level doesn't drop introducing bubbles into the system. A large capacity 60ml catheter syringe with a bit of hose can be useful for drawing fluid down via the slave bleed nipple.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
Do the slave first as that's easier :-) The m/c has a tricky internal circlip ;-)

With the slave if grit gets in there it can scratch the bore and leak hydraulic fluid around the gear lever, sidestand area. Wet&dry the bore smooth and replace seal if needed should fix. Other alternatives is that the Honda Blackbird clutch slave unit is a straight swap.

When bleeding keep filling the reservoir little and often so the fluid level doesn't drop introducing bubbles into the system. A large capacity 60ml catheter syringe with a bit of hose can be useful for drawing fluid down via the slave bleed nipple.
Now that you mentioned it, I noticed my kickstand has an excessive amount of oil on it. It could be clutch fluid. Is there a rebuild kit for the slave?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1999>VTR1000F>LEFT CLUTCH SLAVE

Look on ebay

Last edited by Wicky; 04-25-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JasChen
Now that you mentioned it, I noticed my kickstand has an excessive amount of oil on it. It could be clutch fluid. Is there a rebuild kit for the slave?
From the ronayers link get part #6, 8, 9, and 15 Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1999>VTR1000F>LEFT CRANKCASE COVER WATER PUMP

Recommend your "cleaning" fluid is brake fluid, and wash painted surfaces after cleaning so as to not stain the paint.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Banned
Squid

Thatonedude303 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

I have a 2000 vtr 1000r and my clutch is doing the same thing. I can completely disengage clutch in gear and the engine revs but im not matching the speed. I'm stumped any help will work
Old 05-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Thatonedude303
I have a 2000 vtr 1000r and my clutch is doing the same thing. I can completely disengage clutch in gear and the engine revs but im not matching the speed. I'm stumped any help will work
Remove, disassemble, clean the slave cylinder.
Flush the master cylinder.
Fill and bleed as normal, then back bleed the slave.