Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch Bounce

Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Clutch Bounce

Or at least it has been described as that, chatter is another term.

Launching the SH hard (or even moderately fast) causes what is sometimes described as chatter or disk bounce... the drive and driven plates not fully engaging each other.

So Im thinking self.... what to do....

with 32,000 plus miles a new clutch would not be a horrible idea. The basket is not notched so that is good...

Measure the driven steels for flatness and thickness and replace if bad, replace the drive fiber disks and some new heaver springs I think.

Focusing on just the clutch chatter now,,,, has anyone found a clutch brand / spring and clutch disk combo that reduces that launch chatter? Disk bounce?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Moriwaki offered racing clutch springs in their kit. It might be worth asking Roger D.

I believe Barnett offered stiffer clutch springs for the VTR, as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Eric, I had (have) the same issue on BOTH my hawks. They just dont like long clutch slippage on launches. So on my A (daily) bike I bit the bullet and replaced everything, friction, driven plates and springs and STILL have the clutch grabiness and chatter on high rpm clutch slips.

So I really dont think its ever gonna launch like a cbr off the line on slippage. Just some feedback to work with.

BTW, the clutch I removed looked fine but with a new one in hand, I swapped it anyway. That was @ around 25K miles.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Thank you for bringing this up. I've mentioned it a few times and don't think it has anything to do with wear or damage because every superhawk I've had (I think I'm on number 6) has done it, including my first which was brand new. Motorcycle.com also mentioned it way back when they tested it and the TL1000S at the dragstrip. I've heard folks mention heavier springs but I'd love to hear someone who eliminated it and how if it's even possible.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
swap to a cable clutch as ive read the problem is hydraulic , just a thought
Old 06-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lloydievtr
swap to a cable clutch as ive read the problem is hydraulic , just a thought
Mine did it when stock, and kept doing it when I swapped the springs, and later the entire clutch for a stouter unit...

The biggest difference, altough it didn't "cure" it, a new steel braided clutch line (matching the brake lines) made it noticably less pronounced...

Still does, albeit less so, and with those two clues, I'm pretty convinced that it is in fact a hydraulic characteristic...

Last edited by Tweety; 06-24-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Back Marker

MC Leather is on a distinguished road
Mine doesn't chatter. I had to replace the fibers when I first got the bike, I used new, well soaked OEM plates. I have a braided line and a Brembo GP billet radial clutch master. I don't know if my bike has stock springs or not.... RCVTR???
Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Do either of you two remember how long you needed the line to be? I'm thinking 36in should work but I don't want to get a line and it be too short. Thanks for any imput!