Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

speedo bounce

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
speedo bounce

so i noticed this the other day, coming home down the hiway doing 100 kph. i shift into 6th gear and blip the throttle a little, i was lazy shifting, so i rev match and let the clutch out and saw the speedo bounce from 100 to 80 back to 100. i tried to get it to happen again but no dice. i hit a small bump when it happened but i dont think that would cause the speedo to act up. ive never seen this before but then again i rarely look at the speedo. what could be causing this?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... If you time the bump to when the needle is going down, the small stepper motor moving the needle is disengaged, so that would let it "freefall" past where it was going until the motor brings it up again... Completely normal, and you'd need to time things exactly right to make it happen on purpose...
Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
SuperBike

ok makes sense. i was hoping the speedo wasnt crapping out or that the speedo healer wasnt starting to die. thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
wheel hop?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 PM
SuperBike

No wasn't that bad of a bump. Hopefully its what twenty said and not something that's gonna necessitate an upgrade :-)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Squid

Jens_denmark is on a distinguished road
Check you speedohealer connection. I had the same problem and when i checked speedohealer, 1 of the wires wass broken.

I nearly never have the problem anymore, but somtimes when i change gear it can go from 100 to 90 and the back to 100 again. If you remove speedohealer you wont see the problem anymore, but then again, you cant trust you speedometer anymore. so i live with the problem :-)

Jens
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 PM
SuperBike

lol well i havent noticed it again but as i said i rarely look down. except when there are cops around
Old 08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
SuperBike

something is definatly wrong. i took the cluster off to prep the bike for the track and im thinking maybe i didnt click it in all the way, so ill have to recheck that. but its not reading right. ill hammer the throttle and itll randomly freeze, like at 60 mph itll just stay there and wake back up and jump to 80 or 90 or whatever im cruising at. and itll get hung up again at 110 mph or so, but seems to be bad when im at full throttle. if i roll up the speed at part throttle it doesnt do it. so i have no idea whats causing it. so tomorrow ill check the connections, then unhook the speedo healer, then check to make sure its connected to the speedo sensor. which btw i dont know where it is so maybe someone could give me a general idea of where to check

and after that who knows, tape it up and guess how fast im going, lol