Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb cooling fluid, ehhh

Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Squid

Jens_denmark is on a distinguished road
Carb cooling fluid, ehhh

as some might know, iam struggling with my hawk.

Wass checking the carbs for leaks, when i saw this strange thing, never see it before, but also my first v-twin.

If you take out the carbs, turn em on the head. Under them there goes a water line, from on carb to the other, from the line there goes a pipe to the waterpump i think it is.

I removed the line to check it, when i blow into it. the front one, i can hear air comming out, i think thats how i should work. when i do the same to the read one, but no air comes out, looks like its blocked !

So as i can see water goes in on the rear on the carbs, but dont goes out again ?

Is this right ? also are the carbs affected by the water cooling ? the one that are blocked, is that by factory or a fail ?

thx

Last edited by Jens_denmark; 05-24-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The coolant goes through the carbs to prevent ice buildup in cold humid environments.

If you live somewhere that gets cold, keep them hooked up in case you ever ride when the temperature is below freezing. If you live somewhere warm, they can be blocked off with no detrimental affect.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Squid

Jens_denmark is on a distinguished road
oki thx. good to know.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by lazn
The coolant goes through the carbs to prevent ice buildup in cold humid environments.

If you live somewhere that gets cold, keep them hooked up in case you ever ride when the temperature is below freezing. If you live somewhere warm, they can be blocked off with no detrimental affect.
Actually that is a common misconception. If you look at the placement of the lines they are there to warm the fuel bowls up a bit as warm fuel atomizes easier than cold fuel and with 48mm carbs and main jets in the 170's stock the fuel needs all the help it can get to stay atomized instead of pooling in the intake tracts. That is why the bike makes more power with them connected. I guess we can ask Greg N. to post the dyno charts once again.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Actually that is a common misconception. If you look at the placement of the lines they are there to warm the fuel bowls up a bit as warm fuel atomizes easier than cold fuel and with 48mm carbs and main jets in the 170's stock the fuel needs all the help it can get to stay atomized instead of pooling in the intake tracts. That is why the bike makes more power with them connected. I guess we can ask Greg N. to post the dyno charts once again.
Ah, either way in Phoenix I am not too worried about warming anything most of the time.. But that said, I don't plan to disconnect them either.