Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fluid coming from under clutch fluid reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Fluid coming from under clutch fluid reservoir

Not sure what's up, kinda funny. I replaced my clutch line over the weekend, replaced with a Goodridge line. I bled the new line, clutch worked perfect, went riding yesterday about 150 miles and found upon return there was fluid on my fairing coming from under the reservoir cap. (my paint is still there )
I never liked the rubber boot on the inside of the clutch reservoir as I thought it impeded my view of clean fluid, so I removed it and screwed the lid on tight, walla, I could see the clean fluid. I thought that was my problem, so I put the rubber piece back into the clear reservoir, tightened it all up and went to work this morning. Got to work and brake fluid coming out from under the reservoir(not under the cap), where the reservoir meets the lever, anybody seen this before? To the manual I go after work. I may need to replace an o-ring or something there.

Any help appreciated.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
There are 2 "o" rings under the reservoir which might be leaking or the reservoir might be cracked.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You could also try tightening the screw that holds the res. in place.

Take the cap off and you can see the screw.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You could also try tightening the screw that holds the res. in place.

Take the cap off and you can see the screw.
Thank you, good recommendations!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Letsrideinsc
Not sure what's up, kinda funny. I replaced my clutch line over the weekend, replaced with a Goodridge line. I bled the new line, clutch worked perfect, went riding yesterday about 150 miles and found upon return there was fluid on my fairing coming from under the reservoir cap. (my paint is still there )
I never liked the rubber boot on the inside of the clutch reservoir as I thought it impeded my view of clean fluid, so I removed it and screwed the lid on tight, walla, I could see the clean fluid. I thought that was my problem, so I put the rubber piece back into the clear reservoir, tightened it all up and went to work this morning. Got to work and brake fluid coming out from under the reservoir(not under the cap), where the reservoir meets the lever, anybody seen this before? To the manual I go after work. I may need to replace an o-ring or something there.

Any help appreciated.
Actually, the rubber boot is useful... It might not have anything to do with your problem right now, but I would still keep it there... The point of it is too reduce foaming, ie repeated cycles of fluid into the the cylinder and out to the reservoar could created bubbles in the fluid and make the cylinder pump air... The rubber bladder keeps that from happening by filling the volume that isn't fluid instead of a big airbubble...

It's probably not life changing if you remove it on the clutch res, but on the brake fluid res, it might not be a brilliant idea... Just FYI...
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
+1........ the rubber sucks down as fluid level recedes when brake pads wear and the pistons have to increase travel.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
There are 2 "o" rings under the reservoir which might be leaking or the reservoir might be cracked.
What he said above or, you simply spilled and the fluid is in the air gap under the cup..

Drain cup, remove screws, clean and inspect cup, replace O rings, reinstall, careful when you pour fluid back in... no dribbling over the edge as it will run down the edge, to the air gap and sit, until you ride (wind pressure) of just lean the bike over at rest the right way,, then the fluid will dribble out from under the cup.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually, the rubber boot is useful... It might not have anything to do with your problem right now, but I would still keep it there... The point of it is too reduce foaming, ie repeated cycles of fluid into the the cylinder and out to the reservoar could created bubbles in the fluid and make the cylinder pump air... The rubber bladder keeps that from happening by filling the volume that isn't fluid instead of a big airbubble...

It's probably not life changing if you remove it on the clutch res, but on the brake fluid res, it might not be a brilliant idea... Just FYI...
The rubber cup is also there to keep air away from the fluid which is hydroscopic..and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
The rubber cup is also there to keep air away from the fluid which is hydroscopic..and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.
True... Ie removal isn't very smart...