Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

cam chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
cam chain

whats the issues with the cam chain tensioners? they blow up at 20k miles? im at 19k should i have to worry about this with my 99>?
Old 05-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...searchid=36762
Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
dead link but i get the point..... SEARCH
Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
What is a CCT?

The main purpose of the CCT is to supply tension to the timing chain. Honda uses an Automatic Tensioner. This is a spring loaded piston that keeps tension on the chain guide so that the chain would always supply enough tension to keep the chain in conjunction with the sprocket, hence, proper timing.

The problem with this auto tensioner is that if the spring within the tensioner fails, the chain would lose its' tension resulting in skipping of the chain/sprocket. It is well documented that the unit Honda supply and perhaps what they have implemented in their engine design is faulty. The failure of this unit will result in catastrophic failure of a running engine as it is directly attributed to the piston hitting the valve(s). This is similar of what happens in cars that have the timing belt break while running.

To remedy this situation, a number of solutions have been attempted. Honda with their upgrade of the tensioner, modification of existing tensioner via stronger spring by some and the implementation of a manual tensioner.

The most accepted solution for this problem seem to be the use of the APE Manual Tensioner. This is a machined unit with a bolt in the middle and locking nut. The idea behind this is to supply constant tension without the tensioner ever 'backing out' thereby preventing chain and sprocket skipping. The problem with this unit is that it must be set properly as to not being too loose or too tight.

If too loose, skipping will result whereas too tight abnormal wear would be a problem.

I hope this explain the purpose of the CCT.

As to - do they blow up at certain km?...It is hard to say as some have theirs fail early on while others have not failed at high engine life. It all seem to be a crap shoot. I would think the way each bike is driven have direct impact on when it fails.

The following is a step by step of the Ape manual CCT installation:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=5510
Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Squid

Lilbitz909
cam chain tensioner

I would look into it... im at 13000 miles on my 99 SH and i just had a chain tensioner go out and it bent bolth exhaust valves. So i would replace them or least have them looked at. im already at 800 dollars.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
I would recommend going with the APE CCTs. My bike has 42,000 miles and I'm just replacing the factory CCT's with APEs now, but it's was really clattering and I feel like I've been playing russian roulette and dodged a bullet.You should never have to replace the the APEs, just adjust them once in a while. I just got them cheap off a great supplier on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

Get a shop manual or download it off this site and read all the info you can on this site including the tutorials. Be patient, follow the manual and tutorial directions exactly and the bike will turn out great. Since I had to take off the airbox to get at the front CCT, I synchronized the carbs and adjusted the Throttle position sensor and idle using the tutorials on this site - once done you realize what the engineers had in mind when they designed these things (Honda refinement.)