General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Cam Chain Tensioner woes - please advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Squid

Racer647
Unhappy Cam Chain Tensioner woes - please advise

Hey All,

My name is Josh, ive been lurking the last couple years. I have a 98 SH that I bought used at around 27kmi. Ive been reading the posts on the cam chain tensioner issue especially as my SH hit 35k mi.

Well, the other day I heard that horrible racket inside my engine and I just knew what it was. My engine froze, had to tow it to the shop.

The says its definitely the CCT and the ball park estimate for the shop I go to in Sanford, FL is $1000.

Does that sound right?

Anybody have a spare engine lying around for less than that?

Ive been checking EBAY but I havent seen any full engines.

Any advice/experience would is appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Sorry to hear that you were struck by the CCT gremlin. Just curious, which one failed?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:23 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
well I'm assuming if it skipped that you smashed some valves, busted the piston and maybe some more damage on top of that. $1000 sounds like a good deal but I'd wanna make sure it was done right.... I'd personally build it up myself but that's just me...
Old 08-21-2006, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
heh. this motor was posted today https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=3410
Old 08-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Squid

Motohead
It does sounds about right factoring in the dealer's obnoxious hourly rate - especially if you did piston damage (but I doubt you did). I agree with No09, if you have the mechanical ability, do it yourself. If it's just bent valves, you're not looking at a lot for parts (head bolts, head gasket, valve stem seals, valves).

Either way, I wouldn't go back with the stock CCT. I went through 3 on the rear cylinder (luckily I skated in under warranty), until I finally did it myself with the APEs. No probs since (with the CCTs, anyway).
Old 08-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Pistons usually survive but atleast two valve are definately bent, probably intake valves.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Racer, I'm the one with the left over engine after my complete rebuild.... If you figure out your shipping cost from me to you, you can have the engine for $500..... Like I said in the other post, it was a strong running engine up to when the front cct failed, but after both heads removed for inspection, NO DAMAGE!!! All that needs to be done is reinstall the heads with new gaskets, and re-assemble all the other top-side stuff.... And of course switch out all your engine components to the new engine.... My local dealer quoted at least three days labor at $65 an hour for the removal repair and replacement, and any parts were extra.... That's why I bought a donor bike and did all the swapping myself and had an engine guy build me up a new engine.... Best of luck....Darren.