Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bolt is stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 PM
Squid

Dahl is on a distinguished road
Bolt is stuck

Hey,
So my husband has a 98 superhawk and has been trying for over a month now to replace the rear tire. He can't get the bolt loose. He's not sure if its reverse threaded or not or if there's something he needs to do first. It is jacked up of course. He bought it used without a manual and the previous owner never had to change a tire on it. If I could get some advice on the best way to do this I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 04-07-2020, 11:25 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Are saying that the Nut won't break loose or the axle is stuck? If it's the nut, use a longer breaker bar. If the axle is stuck, remove the nut, use something to protect the threaded end i.e.; block of wood, Etc. and strike it with a hammer while trying to rotate the axle from the sprocket end.
When reassembling it put a thin coat of lithium grease on the axle before reinserting it. This will prevent future difficulties. Re torque to 69 lbs ft.
Enjoy
Old 04-15-2020, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I've wrestled with more than a few axles at the bike shop over the years. If it's just the nut, apply some heat (keyword some). Don't make it cherry red or anything. If it's the axle, have fun... A decent brass drift helps as does a friend. One twist and pull while one hammers and curses. When it's out, clean it up good on a wire wheel and coat with your choice of grease. I like white lithium for that.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:32 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
They are on there pretty tight. Normal thread...I use an impact when necessary. Sounds like a good time to buy a Milwaukee cordless.

AV