Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Rearset replacement Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Squid

MILKMAN65 is on a distinguished road
Rearset replacement Help!!!

Anyone have any tricks regarding the replacement of the right-side rearset. Not sure if there's an easier way than pounding a rod the same size to hold the suspension in place, and then following it back with the rearaset and oem bolt. What kind of lube can I use when knocking it thru, I don't want to damage the bushings....any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well the last time I had mine out it went like this.

Support the bike. ( I used a front & rear stand with a floor jack under the oil pan)

Remove the rear wheel

Remove the lower shock mount bolt but leave the rest of the linkage in place

Remove the nut on the swingarm bolt

Used a drift with a smaller diameter than the swingarm bolt to get it started out, then pull it out from the other side. This might be a bit tough as the bolt builds up a bit of crud.

I used a bit of synthetic wheel bearing grease to coat the bolt before reinstalling it and just reversed the steps and you're done.

The whole job to around 45 min.

If you have no way to support the whole bike you can use a drift with a slightly smaller diameter than the swingarm bolt to hold everything together while doing this but I would still remover the lower shock bolt so you can move the swingarm up and down while you are pulling & reinstalling the bolt.

But as always YMMV.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Squid

MILKMAN65 is on a distinguished road
Thanks 8541, By chance do you know the size of the drift to use? Your feedback was very helpful, thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I need to replace my rearsets. I didn't have a drift so I tried using a 18mm piece of stainless to pound out the swing arm bolt. I got it about 6 inches out and then it just stopped. Tried hitting a few more times with a small hammer to no avail. Any suggestions from anyone how to get the bolt out without taking it to a shop?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JakeT
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I need to replace my rearsets. I didn't have a drift so I tried using a 18mm piece of stainless to pound out the swing arm bolt. I got it about 6 inches out and then it just stopped. Tried hitting a few more times with a small hammer to no avail. Any suggestions from anyone how to get the bolt out without taking it to a shop?
You have probably put some pressure on it at an angle, and it's binding... Make sure to support the rearwheel and suspension to make everything stay in place and line up... And for gods sake, no pounding... You will only crush a bearing... Support things, then take the large nut, and unthread it to the last few threads, and hit it with a rubber mallet... Then grip the other end of the bolt and PULL... Not pound... PULL... Works well to twist and pull, and it's a great idea to clean off the threaded end first, to reduce the chance of it binding...
Old 11-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Squid

thanks tweety darn tried what you suggested and the bolt wont even budge. im thinking maybe i need to hoist the bike as the stands dont seem to be doing the job of taking the weight off the suspension
Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JakeT
thanks tweety darn tried what you suggested and the bolt wont even budge. im thinking maybe i need to hoist the bike as the stands dont seem to be doing the job of taking the weight off the suspension
Stands, as in you have the bike on a front and rear stand, nothing else?

If so, put the tools down, and put on you thinking hat for a while, as you have missed something that should have been obvious, and doing anything wrong now can become very costly...

When you remove the rearsets on a VTR you are effectively splitting the bike in two parts, as the same bolt holds the swingarm... One option is to support all parts independantly so that nothing can move...

Since you obviously failed that option, and now have something binding, you are at risk of damaging the bearings, and even worse, crack the engine cases... So, at this point you are out of options... Hoist the bike, get the rear wheel off, to get the load of the swingarm, and also unbolt the suspension linkage... At that point, with the swingarm completely free, you can figure out what went wrong, and how to unbind the pivot bolt...

Not doing it this way, and putting another side load on it now, it can snap the cases, and it can damage a bearing that you then need to extract and replace... I hav seen it happen, and helped the owner sort out the mess... Not cheap nor fun...
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety
Stands, as in you have the bike on a front and rear stand, nothing else?

If so, put the tools down, and put on you thinking hat for a while, as you have missed something that should have been obvious, and doing anything wrong now can become very costly...

When you remove the rearsets on a VTR you are effectively splitting the bike in two parts, as the same bolt holds the swingarm... One option is to support all parts independantly so that nothing can move...

Since you obviously failed that option, and now have something binding, you are at risk of damaging the bearings, and even worse, crack the engine cases... So, at this point you are out of options... Hoist the bike, get the rear wheel off, to get the load of the swingarm, and also unbolt the suspension linkage... At that point, with the swingarm completely free, you can figure out what went wrong, and how to unbind the pivot bolt...

Not doing it this way, and putting another side load on it now, it can snap the cases, and it can damage a bearing that you then need to extract and replace... I hav seen it happen, and helped the owner sort out the mess... Not cheap nor fun...
Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Use a step ladder or something to safely suspend the rear of the bike.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Squid

Thanks for your help everyone. I had removed the rear tire last night to remove the weight though that wasn't the golden ticket to removing the bar easily. Also I did undo the rear suspension bolt on the bottom but that wasn't the golden ticket. After what tweety told me about the bike being broken in half. I decided to use a floor jack under the oil pan and from there was able to remove the bolt quite easily. Thank you all for all your help. I am grateful to have found this forum! Mahaloz
Old 11-27-2012, 03:44 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
glad you got it sorted out, but this was stated early on in the thread by hawk:

Support the bike. ( I used a front & rear stand with a floor jack under the oil pan)