Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bike is stuck in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Squid

stumplove is on a distinguished road
Bike is stuck in gear.

I wrecked my sh 3 weeks ago and have been doing some work to rebuild. For some reason, it seems to be stuck in gear and will not shift up or down. I took the right case cover off to see if it might be a broken tooth on the shift star or something, but that does not seem to be the culprit. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this problem and how to fix??? I would appreciate it bigtime.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Bent shift fork maybe? That could easily happen during a crash. If the engine stopped and then a great deal of force is applied to the shifter, this is a likely outcome.

Splitting the cases is the only way I know to confirm this theory.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
If you went down on the left you may have bent the shift shaft or one of the shift forks.
Another possibility is that you damaged the shift plate, which is part of the shift shaft, The shift plate translates shift shaft rotation into shift drum rotation. There are a couple of claws on the shift plate that hook into the shift drum pins. if one of those claws is bent or broken off the shift plate will not go back into it's 'at rest ' position and prevent shift drum rotation.
Check chapter 9, page 20, in the Service Manual.
Good luck.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
before trying anything else,put the bike on a rear stand,turn the wheel in its driving direction about 5 to 8 inches if it will let you,you should hear a small click,after you hear that first click,try and shift gear,if it is successfull,repeat until you get to the gear you want.this happens with mines when i got it up in the air.this is normal.thats if nothing was damaged on the inside.