General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

hot hot hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
hot hot hot

man I went out riding today and it was 102* out , too hot! was like riding inside a furnace...oh and as I was cooking along down the highway following a car in in the left lane we passed a car and all of a sudden the car in front of me swerved over to the right lane and what do I see ? a damn full boxspring bed laying completely in the road ahead of me blocking the whole lane I barely had enouph time to react and lean hard to avoid the thing and miss the car in the right lane.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

jeremyabbott is on a distinguished road
Wow! Glad your Hawk is ok! And of course, glad you are as well. Leaving that extra space makes all the difference, and the faster you are going the more space you need to react. Again, glad you are ok.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:43 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
yeah was my excitement for the day lol...after that I pushed it to stay well ahead of all other trffic and then pulled into a qt and got a cold drink and cig
Old 06-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
It's been hovering at 106 the last week.. Riding to work in the morning is not bad, but mid day heat at lunch or after work is ... is an adventure
Old 06-30-2012, 09:00 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
That story reminds me of a trip to Florida a few years ago. We were driving along a major highway and the cars in front started swerving over exposing a wheel barrow laying in the middle of the lane. Lucky for us there wasn't another vehicle in the fast lane and we missed it. Can't imagine facing that w/ the bike.

Glad you averted an off!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah VTRing is hot but I mountain biked 18miles today in 102*. I put an ice mat in the back of my mesh jacket and it takes the edge off. We UA shirt is great too.

I hit a cinder block on my cbr at @ 50mph. That sucked. I managed to get the front up a bit but still got totally airborne. No crash but bent front wheel.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
These situations really do make you realize how fast things can happen on the road.

I had a close encounter once with a full sheet of plywood that flew off a truck and came at me from above. I saw it move from my right, over across in front, and then back toward the right again where it narrowly missed a car in the lane next to me and then landed flat on the road.

A friend I had long ago rode home one day with a milk crate bungeed to his bike. I asked where he got it. While riding his 500 Interceptor on the interstate, this milk crate appeared right in front of him. After having been moved around on the pavement by the turbulence from a big truck, the crate then became lodged between the fairing and front wheel. He came to a stop on the left shoulder without any damage or injury, dislodged the invader, and kept that milk crate as a trophy.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Muscle memory and reflexes of a cat save the day again and again.

Trick to riding in the heat. Wear absorbent fabric and soak yourself with water when you stop. Hosed down jacket and jeans act as air conditioning when passing air causes evaporation.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Full Fledged Member
Squid

jeremyabbott is on a distinguished road
I was an instructor for the MSF for 9 years and before and after every course I would practice emergency braking, braking in a corner, traction management, keeping my eyes up, etc. I still go and run through a lot of the exercises and I can't count the number of times that training kicked in automatically because it was ingrained. Seems silly sometimes to be in a parking lot doing a quick stop in a corner but in the long run, that practice and being intentional about control and safety will save your life.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:40 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
I hit a whole spare tire/rim probably dropped from a small truck bounded right over the thing kept it up, tore off my lower fairings on my CBR 600 F2
Scared the crap out of me too
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Jeremy that is a really smart idea to do those drills. I was thinking about this thread riding my wife to church today from Queens to Brooklyn. I made sure to keep my distance when safe to. (its a really dangerous road).
Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Squid

tnsporting90 is on a distinguished road
yes, It is very good plan for those drills.