Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

running on 1 cylinder.. .or so i assume

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
running on 1 cylinder.. .or so i assume

alright guys, im from mn and it is just starting to get into riding season we hit 48 today and i wanted to get out, got my new battery installed and fairings back on and new SS brake lines bled and i get real excited to start her up, fires up pretty well on choke and then starts to have an issue idling. drive the bike from the back yard/garage to the front of the house and there is NO power, bike wants to die when i pull the clutch in and when i get out front i let it idle for a little

get off go around back and feel exhaust, one is warm and seems normal and the other is almost cold air and smells like gas. i put my hands close to the header on the front cylinder and its warm i can tell without getting too close and then the rear header about 3 inches from the engine is BARELY warm, i could hold my hand on it without an issue... very traumatic experience as i take very good care of the bike and winterize properly and since 09 when i got it there has never been an issue

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

i just wanna ride
Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
Your probably right, no fire in the back can, Put some seafoam in and run it for a while, see if it opens up. You either have a clogged jet or aren't spark. My bets on the jet, probably didn't get all the fuel out last fall.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by spladle160
Your probably right, no fire in the back can, Put some seafoam in and run it for a while, see if it opens up. You either have a clogged jet or aren't spark. My bets on the jet, probably didn't get all the fuel out last fall.

i always winterize the bike WITH stabil in it, never had a problem before but who knows im going to drain the tank and pull the carbs and do the carb setup to ensure i have it right.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
Gotta put gas in it... mmmmmhhmmmmm
Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Superstock

ok so spark plug wire off on rear cylinder and spare plug in it, it sparks while grounded on the frame.

i have yet to take the carbs out as i wanted to make sure it was necessary first.

does anyone have experience with using stabil and having running problems after storage? it was a pretty long winter for the SH this year....

im going to take the carbs off and see what they look like inside

im going to read the how to on setting TPS and do that as well, also who has the haynes manual? had to re-read the direction that said "now torque bolts until head shears off...." made me laugh

cheers all
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Superstock

got the carbs out today and tore them down, i have NEVER taken carbs apart that were so clean! i was extremely impressed/disappointed....

happy they are clean and everything is as it should be but sad because that means something else is amiss with the bike, i dont really get what it could have been other than the gas was bad and fouled up the rear spark plug...

im going to put it all back together, adjust TPS and see what happens.... other than that i dont know what could be wrong, i put it away in november and it was running flawlessly
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont let a sparking plug fool you. I've been a MC mechanic for 25 yrs and I have had plugs that would fire out of motor but not under compression. Actually had brand new ones do that to me a couple of times. Does the spark look blue & sharp or yellow & faint?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by SPRHK
Dont let a sparking plug fool you. I've been a MC mechanic for 25 yrs and I have had plugs that would fire out of motor but not under compression. Actually had brand new ones do that to me a couple of times. Does the spark look blue & sharp or yellow & faint?

the spark plug i was using was my spare i keep under the seat and it looked pretty yellow... i didnt have my extension to get the new ( last october) plug out and check that one, could it up a failing coil or if the spark isnt BRIGHT and blue just replace the plugs?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:38 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

The first & easiest thing to try is a plug swap. If the new plug also has a faint yellow spark, it could be a faulty coil.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by SPRHK
The first & easiest thing to try is a plug swap. If the new plug also has a faint yellow spark, it could be a faulty coil.
hmmm i think this is a good time to swap to the CBR coil mod if they are bad
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Bearshawk
hmmm i think this is a good time to swap to the CBR coil mod if they are bad
Good call!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Superstock

so i decided to start fresh with new plugs and new gas in the tank and synch the carbs... all is good HOWEVER

i got spark plugs from the dealer today, tousley motorsports here in MN and the plugs i got are in honda boxes and are NGK DPR9Evx-9's and are different than the other set i put in last september... i got them from a dealer as well but the ones i have in currently i know are iridium plugs not sure of the actual plug numbers....

are these what others are using?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

Original plugs are not available anymore. The Iridiums are what they replaced them with. They work well. Dont sweat it.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Superstock

so after the saga of only running on once cylinder i finally got my little brown box from honda with the new pre-filters, and boost joint for the front carb synch point i added in and got it all put back together and added a gallon of 92 octane and PRESTO runs like a champ and holy crap... long mn winters i forget how hard she pulls

i am so excited for warmer weather...if it ever comes along
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

Awesome! Glad all worked out well for you! Now go ride the wheels off that bike!