Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Adjusting MCCT

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Adjusting MCCT

These are the MCCTs that came on my bike. So Im correct in thinking to check they are adjusted right I undo the locking nut and wind the inner screw in untill its tight then back out 1/4 turn?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Adjusting MCCT-100_2152.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 10:53 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
open the rear cam cover, and check the slack on the cam chain. it should be 5-7mm. the whole "finger tight and then 1/4 turn back" and all that is very random. best to just check the slack on the chain and make sure.

how many miles are on the bike? id leave them alone because they are probably fine
Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jscobey
open the rear cam cover, and check the slack on the cam chain. it should be 5-7mm. the whole "finger tight and then 1/4 turn back" and all that is very random. best to just check the slack on the chain and make sure.

how many miles are on the bike? id leave them alone because they are probably fine
26,000miles. Nothing makes me think there is a problem just I dont want to be the guy that says "I should have checked my MCCTs"

I had been hearing a rattle when riding today which brought it to mind but found my chain dragging on the LH pipe. Its due a new chain and sprockets as it has a big tight spot. Seems the previous owner was not big on chain lube. Bike now has a Scott Oiler.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:20 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Your MCCT's will not fail or cause problems unless anything loosens up or you meddle with them. That's their advantage. Once they're set, they need little if any attention for thousands of miles. When you take the valve covers off, say for a valve check (I think it's recommended at 28,000 miles) then you can check slack. Otherwise, like jscobey said, leave them alone!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Squid

tylerjensen is on a distinguished road
cam?

a bit off topic just wondering if the rear cylinder intake cam will work on the front cylinder????
Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Tyler, are you asking if the intake cam on the rear cylinder will work as the intake cam on the front cylinder? If so, then yes.

Just curious, but why do you ask? And welcome to the site!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:30 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
He's probly asking cuz on other bikes doing the cam swap is a performance gain. Never thought of it on the hawk but it works on the sv.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM
Squid

Tofazfou is on a distinguished road
Recently change mine but I have to agree with others here, If your suspicious of noise, check the CCT tension as suggested above. If all is fine........LEAVE EM ALONE!

I feel NO MORE comfortable with my new CCT's than I did my old ones. No one here seems to be able to settle on how much tension is enough or not. The hole FINGER tight thing then 1/4 more (less?) doesn't FEEL right at all.

But I have to admit, I have no issues so far with the new ones I installed.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
He's probly asking cuz on other bikes doing the cam swap is a performance gain. Never thought of it on the hawk but it works on the sv.
Ive read somewhere chaning inlet to exhaust cams on Hawks finds a little power.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:29 AM
MotoGP

Oh geeze guys. If your bike has mccts in it and is running, just make sure all the bolts are tight and then forget about them. It is not going to cause problems if it is a little off.

To feel comfortable, take valve covers off and check play in the chain between cam sprockets at tdc. 1/4" or so and you're good. No finger tight, no adjusting when it's running. If they're too tight your bike will run slow. If they're too loose you'll hear slapping. They have to be very loose to skip teeth.

Last edited by 7moore7; 05-01-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Squid

tylerjensen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Tyler, are you asking if the intake cam on the rear cylinder will work as the intake cam on the front cylinder? If so, then yes.

Just curious, but why do you ask? And welcome to the site!
well I bought a full head off of Ebay and the guy didn't package it very well and the lobes were dinged up..... and he said he will send the rear intaake if they work, so i am just checking it out for myself.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Why not check while hot and running? I've checked with the valve covers off after a running adjustment and found them spot-on but I have a keen ear and steady, sensitive gloved hands.

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Oh geeze guys. If your bike has mccts in it and is running, just make sure all the bolts are tight and then forget about them. It is not going to cause problems if it is a little off.

To feel comfortable, take valve covers off and check play in the chain between cam sprockets at tdc. 1/4" or so and you're good. No finger tight, no adjusting when it's running. If they're too tight your bike will run slow. If they're too loose you'll hear slapping. They have to be very loose to skip teeth.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Why not check while hot and running? I've checked with the valve covers off after a running adjustment and found them spot-on but I have a keen ear and steady, sensitive gloved hands.
I've done that too, BUT, for those who are tentative about adjustments this is hardly a confidence inspiring procedure. Too many options also makes things seem confusing too. Also, we have had less experienced members back theirs out too much and cause failure, so I wouldn't feel comfortable telling others to follow this procedure.

So, if your bike is running with MCCT's but you don't feel confident they're adjusted right (they likely are if they're in there and there isn't excessive rattling or squealing): Take valve covers off, set 1/4" of play between sprockets at TDC. Locktite and tighten all bolts. Then you can be completely sure that you don't have to worry about anything CCT related again. End. Anything beyond that is fine tuning, nit picking, and general oil thread stuff.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
+1 totally agree

(:-})
Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM
SuperBike

LOL

Not "laughing out load"

Limitation Of Liability

It's a given...

If one has the gonads to try it once...

Really, I've been doing it on Honda's since 1972 so its natural for me to feel the engine change, and listen for knocking too

It was easy on the old parallel twins to adjust the valves the same way.

British clutches and some merican iron were adjusted under load.

Cam chains are really easier.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:57 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Limitation Of Liability LOL OMG no......we havent quite got to that stage of suing each other for anything and everything yet. We're only about 10 years behind Just ones conscience to deal with here.

Someone with a bit of mechanical experience then yes go and adjusts by hand, saves a bit of work. But as has been said some folk have run into problems with devastating consequences. Especially when they are the type of person that couldn't tighten a 10mm bolt without snapping it.

(:-})
Old 05-03-2014, 02:51 PM
SuperBike

You and 7M7 without realizing it raised the LOL flag. If someone asks you provide options and let them decide based on their experience and confidence.

It saves a LOT of work to adjust running hot, as not a part needs to be removed to gain access (though small, heat resistant fingers are a plus).

Race mechanics have long adjusted cam chains, valves and clutches (wet & dry) hot when running by feel/ear. Valve lash is given for cold checks but does not apply to hot running adjustment as you never even see the valves.

Checking hot and running means dimensions and tolerances are as they will be rather than when cold and looser; which is another good selling point.

Each to their own but I hate the work required to get to the front valves. Also, in order to check cam chain deflection (I've read less than 5 mm) one must remove the 1 side bolt (of 3) that secure the "chain guard bridge" with the nylon slider. Even with rags stuffed in cam chain tunnel, it is very easy to drop that lil' bolt down to the basement, which IMO is much more scary...

When changing front valve lash shims, I zip-tie the sprockets to the chain and leave the sprockets on the cam positioned with rags in zip-lock bags (with air squeezed out). Removing the 2 left radiator mounting bolts and lowering the oil cooler (4 bolts) makes it easier to slide the valve cover out the front (it won't come out rearward, dam). Use a piece of cardboard to protect the cover from being scratched on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails Adjusting MCCT-20130324_171628.jpg   Adjusting MCCT-20130324_171708.jpg   Adjusting MCCT-20130324_171844.jpg  
Old 05-03-2014, 03:38 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I did my final adjustment hot and running. I tighten until I get a drop in the idle and then back off to my regular idle rpm. If you're not real mechanical, it could be intimidating.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Each to their own but I hate the work required to get to the front valves. Also, in order to check cam chain deflection (I've read less than 5 mm) one must remove the 1 side bolt (of 3) that secure the "chain guard bridge" with the nylon slider. Even with rags stuffed in cam chain tunnel, it is very easy to drop that lil' bolt down to the basement, which IMO is much more scary...
Fair enough... options are options. I was just trying to save NZSpokes some trouble with my first option: to not mess with it. I guess I have a soft spot for people asking about adjusting the things. Installing manual CCT's was the first project I've ever done on a motorcycle, and that was a worrisome enough experience doing it by measuring slack. You couldn't have given me enough confidence to do it by ear at that point.

And remember, we did have a member back theirs out too far causing the top end to destroy itself. The procedure give for that person was to back it out until it rattles, then tighten till it stops. This is how I've done it and would do it again.