Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

ICON vest

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:15 AM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
ICON vest

ICON has a nice vest for those of us who require a vest to get on base. Just heard about this from a friend....I don't have one so can't comment on it's quality.

Looks very functional though.....

Mike
Old 09-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Squid

rhu5
Re: ICON vest

I have one and I've talked to a couple people who also own one and it's a good looking and functional accessory. It's highly reflective and has several pockets ( including an I.D. holder which is attached to the vest with velcro...****** it off, show it and slap it back on).

The sides of the vest are adjustable but the only negative about the vest is that it might be a little snug for the "heavy hitters" 'aka' the larger rider.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
I was kind of reluctant to get it at $50... plus you need to check with your base regs...

Cycle Gear in Murrieta offers a 10% military discount and I got mine for $45+ tax.

This 'MIL SPEC' they mention is for BARE MINIMUMS in regards to the basic orders... bases such as MCAS MIRAMAR in San Diego have more stringent regs as Base Commanders can enforce stricter regs than those in the basic orders... but they cannot lesson the basic regs.

For example:

MCAS Miramar's Station Order 5100.2A w/ Change 1 states:

"A commercially available mesh/fabric vest or other upper torso garment worn as the outer garment. The garment must not be covered or concealed,such as by a backpack. The garment will be bright yellow, international orange, or lime green and will have (2) two 1 and 1/2 to 2 inch wide vertical or horizontal retro-reflective stripes front and back. The vest is authorized for wear by Marines in uniform and shoud be removed as soon as the Marine gets off the motorcycle."

With the above Station order... the ICON VEST in NOT authorized... BUT..... they allow it due to the fact that many riders will leave the ICON VEST on instead of removing it once they leave the base and most likely will wear it off base as well.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Squid

rhu5

Icon is now offering the vest in a 2XL-4XL size and in a yellow color for '05-'06.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Originally Posted by rhu5";p=&quot
Icon is now offering the vest in a 2XL-4XL size and in a yellow color for '05-'06.
DANGIT!!!! I WANTED YELLOW!!!

thanks for the info
Old 10-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Squid

rhu5

I would have gotten the yellow one if it was available this past season. I might get it anyway :wink: .
Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
yeah... IM GETTIN ONE!!! I can care less what the wife says....

$39 at www.cyclegear.com

Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Squid

mtmansl

Icon is smart, this is perfect for getting on base. They realize how many of us there are in the military!
Old 02-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point

You need them to get on base whether you are in the military or a civilian working for them. I'll take one in yellow thank you.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but this is definitely related. I'm seeing Last year's Icon TiMesh jacket on eBay for $109. This is way cheaper than what it used to sell for. Does anyone have experience with these jackets?

I do mainly spirited street riding, but don't find myself much over 100mph unless I'm in a straightaway that I can see far ahead. I realize that doesn't guarantee anything; I'm just saying that if I go down, it would probably be from gravel in a turn at 60-80 mph.

So I want a white (I know, funny looking. Whatever..) mesh jacket for summer riding, and was wondering about the quality of this jacket and how comfortable it is. I'm not really into wearing the black Vanson in 90+ degree heat, even with the perforation and multiple vents.

Any experiences? Opinions?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
Icon has done its research in regards to Military personel and the rules and regulations we have to abide by. We actually had a REP from Icon come down to one of my safety classes at *** Norfolk and talk to us. They want feedback in regards to the vest and the Military. If you want to see some changes made...be sure to throw in your suggestions. I suggested making one with a spine protector.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Are you an MSF instructor for the Navy?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Squid

Msf

I am not an instructor just for the Navy. Once i got my cert, i usually assist in classes at the community colleges in the area but a group of us will hold special classes for those of us that are stuck on Sea Duty with limited time at home. Due to my age and racing background, I cannot get certified to be an "on base" instructor. Oh and by the way I HATE NORFOLK :-D
Old 06-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Squid

Post NY Guy

Hey by the way...great site...So far! I take it you are in the Navy as well? I just to Norfolk with the USS San antonio...heared of us? Have you retired or are you active, all the way up there in New York?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Still active duty. Currently on instructor duty at Nuclear Power Training Unit, Ballston Spa, NY. It's great up here. I hated Norfolk too. You're not alone. But I left a lot of long time friends up there too, so that saddens me. I hung out with a group that called themselves Coast Riders. They are mostly racers now but some still street ride, some have moved away to other places but still keep in touch. Check them out at http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/fo...hp?forumid=248

They usually get together every Tuesday night at 32 Degrees Restaurant for TWT and in the summer months ride down to the BP at the corner of Laskin and Atlantic to hang out for a little while. Pretty mild group because we're mostly older (>30) but most are quite experienced. Stop by and tell 'em Greg sent ya'!
Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 AM
Squid

Talking Ride

Hey thanks alot. I would love to find some people to ride with. All these guys down here are about racing down 64/264 and I am not quite ready for death yet. LOL. You know virginia drivers, there is no amount of skill you can have that will save you from a random driver eating food, playing with the radio, yelling at the kids, doing their makeup, tying their shoes, and drinking the hot coffee! :-D
Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Back Marker

VTRFISH
I'm retired Navy (Dec 05).....now working on LPD-19. Inatalling and testing comms cables.

Mike
Old 07-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Squid

jmalys is on a distinguished road
Thank god I am in the coast guard, so most bases don't require the whole vest thing.