Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Air bag vest? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Squid

johnpace2 is on a distinguished road
Air bag vest? Opinions?

My local shop has these (don't remember the brand), but they are a best you wear that is an air bag that inflates in your chest and neck area in a crash.

Sounds like a good idea but haven't seen much talk about it. Has anyone used or know anything about these?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
ive seen videos on airbag 1 piece suits. whats the vest worth? and im sure its tethered to the bike like a seadoo kill switch. the only thing i can see happening is if youre not careful and get off and forget about the tether you may pop the vest and make it useless. unless you can re use it after inflation. but id be interested in learning more. any protection is good protection
Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
"....and in the event of a water landing..."

Fish
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'd say it's useless unless it protects your back as well. Not many crashes result in the rider doing a swan dive into the pavement, with their chest impacting first.

The 2 times I crashed when it was my fault, decades ago, I landed on my face (both were high sides). Full face helmet did the job. Neck protection is a very good thing though.

But, as stated above, if you get pitched into a lake, it would be a good thing to be wearing.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have done my fair share of crashing on track... And I can tell you from personal experience that rolling along like that is something you don't want to do...

Take the first impact without breaking arms and legs, then make yourself flat and slide... If you roll, you bounce, and after the second or third bounce you are to dizzy to know what's going on and then you hurt yourself... Trust me, your bounce just as good as a rubber ball, but rubber ***** don't break bones...
Old 09-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
I think the bounce factor would put me off it.
Agree good back protection is a must! Quality gloves. Quality boots!! My Dad lost part or a leg after being drug under a bike. FULL FACE lid!! Ask my Aunt and Uncle and the 3 year old Black Angus......

Fish
Old 09-14-2010, 01:38 AM
MotoGP

One thing I have seen that might be a good idea though, is kind of like an inflatable collar that acts as an instant neck brace... It should protects from some types of neck injuries... Unfortunately I think it might potentially cause others instead...
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
One thing I have seen that might be a good idea though, is kind of like an inflatable collar that acts as an instant neck brace... It should protects from some types of neck injuries... Unfortunately I think it might potentially cause others instead...
I think that's the one I just saw on "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel. The first shot they showed of the rider low siding, it made him tumble. In the second shot he was able to slide, but it didn't look like he was going that fast (hard to tell, since it was slow motion). It kind of looked like a big white horse collar after it inflated.

I might add, it wasn't a "starfish" slide. He was sliding more on his side. His helmet seemed very well braced though.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 09-16-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, I think that's the same I saw... no chest or back, just collar and out over the shoulders... Kind of braced against the helmet as you said... That one might be usefull... But I'm no expert on protection... I have some experience falling over though...
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Alpinestars and Dainese both have electronic airbag systems for riders.The Alpinestars system is being used by some Moto GP guys. It's a very difficult task to perfect, as the main obstacle is developing the necessary electronics to "know" when your actually about to crash, as opposed to leaning or moving around on the bike. I'm sure there are plans for the street rider, but that needs further refining, bet it would be bloody expensive too.As for the safety aspect, if its proven to reduce injury and save life then I'm 100% for it.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Back Marker

Big Shepp is on a distinguished road
Having done quite a bit of time in rehab for sports injuries, i can tell you that spine injuries are by far the worst. If it can help prevent a broken neck, I'd buy it. and I've seen some rumors about back protectors specifically designed to keep your back and neck from flexing too much in the event of a crash. I'd trade any number of broken arms and legs to keep my next and back safe. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
I have done my fair share of crashing on track... And I can tell you from personal experience that rolling along like that is something you don't want to do...

Take the first impact without breaking arms and legs, then make yourself flat and slide... If you roll, you bounce, and after the second or third bounce you are to dizzy to know what's going on and then you hurt yourself... Trust me, your bounce just as good as a rubber ball, but rubber ***** don't break bones...
I agree, sliding is a way better option! I've never been down at enough speed to slide very far, but I've seen anough crashes to know that sliding creates far less injuries than rolling and flipping about! I also question the fact that it could create more "space" between your body and say...your head and the ground! Maybe ok if you hit a wall.