Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

jacket input

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Squid

willie
jacket input

Hey guys,
I was wondering what everybody is wearing for jackets? I'm mainly using my bike to commute back & forth to work (45 miles one way). I currently wear a leather jacket, but I need to get something new. I've been looking at waterproof textile jackets with the armour, I mainly need something that is warm in the cool weather and cool in the hot weather and obviously it has to have good body protection. Any thoughts or input would be apprecaited.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
While leather provides great abrasion resistance, textile can keep you warmer. I would look a jacket like Joe Rocket's "Alter-ego". Like having two jackets in one. Textile outer shell with removable panel that converts jacket to vented one in just a minute or so. Everything but the top of the shoulders becomes fully vented. All JR jackets come with all the padding. JR also makes a version in leather. I have a First Gear "Kenya" jacket.
Waterproof with very good vent system. Not the best jacket to wear in summer, but good venting.
My summer jacket is a Joe Rocket "Sante-Fe".
Fully vented with perferated leather arms and shoulders. I wear that all summer. Hope you find what your looking for.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Re: jacket input

I have a J.R. (Joe Rocket) Phoenix jacket for warm weather usage - it also included a waterproof liner and a J.R. Sonic jacket with the full sleeve liner for cooler days. The Alter Ego jacket Motojoe mentioned looks like a good concept but I haven't tried one.

Rick B
02 SH
Old 05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Squid

dsbunton646

i also have the j.r. pheonix jacket because of the heat. i like it alot. not to expensive. check out motoxoutlet.com they carry most of the j.r stuff. i am looking for a leather or textile jacket for the winter/cooler months too. anybody have a j.r. velocity jacket? pros? cons?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Since I've tried my first textile jacket, I'm no more a fan of leather jacket!
Yes, leather stay the best choice for track and stunt but for day to day riding, under the sun, the cold or the rain, IMO textile is far away better!!

On my side, I've the new Shurikan from Ixon, this is my second Ixon jacket since the first one have been credited under the warranty for some velcro and zip fastener problem! I don't know if we are the exception but my gilrfriend also had some velcro problem with is Ixon jacket!!! Thanks to the extended warranty...

Before, I've owned a Teknic and a Choko textile jackets ( both were scratched in accidents!! ) To compare them, the Ixon are very more good under the rain and more warm for the cold day ( very practical here in North!! ) but they are a bit more hot on summer.

I have tried some Joe Rocket ( only in store I must say! ) and I was not as comfortable than on the Ixon, this is why have buy another Ixon with the credit I get from the previous defective jacket. But, this time if I had found a J.R. as comfortable as the Ixon, I would have probably bought it instead to compare.

My two cents

Cheers
Old 05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a cortech gx sport textile jacket this year.I love it!! It has a zip out quilted liner for these cold MI, days.It has pipeline ventilation=2 zippered chest vents and 2 rear exit vents on the back.plus all the padding.plastic elbow pads shoulder pads and molded back protector. best part of all I only paid 119.00 at newenough.com.I'm no salesman but it's the best jacket I've owned
Old 05-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dsbunton646";p=&quot
anybody have a j.r. velocity jacket? pros? cons?
I used to have the JR Velocity. The leather is nice and thick, but that also makes the jacket heavy. The button snaps make for a secure fit, but I prefer hook and loop fasteners (ie, Velcro). One downside to the jacket is it only has an 8" rear zipper, instead of a full circumference zip. This is only a problem if you need a full zip two piece. The jacket has a few vent holes that are open/closed by zippers, but otherwise it gets VERY warm.

I have a JR Phoenix as well for warm days. I also have a JR Speedmaster (leather - I sold the Velocity awhile back) for trackdays/spirited riding. I just purchased a JR Comet (textile) jacket, and I feel it offers the benefits of both worlds. It should be a lot more sturdy than the Phoenix if I were to crash in it, and it's a lot more usable in a variety of weather, especially with the zip-in (or snap-in) liner. While the Comet only has the 8" zipper, my JR Blaster leather pants have both 8" and full zip and my JR Ballistic (textile) pants have an 8", so I can use the textile jacket with either leather or textile pants.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate to sound like a doomsayer but I talked to a guy that sells,(owns retail acces. shop), and owned the phoenix jacket and he said he's had one melt to him. He said it hurt but wasn't too bad, again but he did say he was doing around 70 so take it for what it's worth. That's why I like the leather/tex jackets. If it's at all cool enough I wear my perf. leather, otherwise it's the leather mesh. A strong cordura should hold up well for a crash though, 1 crash at least.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Right on. The mesh will most likely not be effective at saving your skin at any elevated speeds. Heck, it even tears a little bit from the Velcro... But it's better than wearing just a t-shirt. I'm sure the riders on SHF are more responsible than that.

If I know I have some sort of freeway riding to do, then I will always reach for the textile (sometimes leather) jacket.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:42 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road

I had a Velocity jacket and the collar bothered me too much so I sold it on ebay and picked up the original Sonic - the 2.0 didn't have the full sleeve liner. Other than the collar comfort the jacket seemed well made.

Rick B
02 SH

Originally Posted by dsbunton646";p=&quot
i also have the j.r. pheonix jacket because of the heat. i like it alot. not to expensive. check out motoxoutlet.com they carry most of the j.r stuff. i am looking for a leather or textile jacket for the winter/cooler months too. anybody have a j.r. velocity jacket? pros? cons?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:39 AM
Squid

dsbunton646
i think i'll go with a textile jacket after hearing the reviews. hopefully i'll never have to test the strength of it. thanks for the input.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:42 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

I have a lot of Jackets I like my Joe Rocket Alter-ego the best. JIM
Old 05-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Squid

dsbunton646
is the alter ego much warmer than the pheonix jacket? i mean does it block the wind well in the evening and cooler months? also is it a pain to remove the outer panels.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

The outer panels zip right off. That's as hard as it gets. Since the Phoenix is a full-mesh jacket, there's more airflow than a textile jacket.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
With the humidity down here I wear a Fieldsheer Titanium mesh. The only complaint I have with the jacket is the collar. The Velcro isn't strong enough. Losing weight helped a bunch.:-D For winter or morning rides out west I wear an HJC leather jacket. Love the jacket. Both were bought from Newenough.

Karl
Old 05-26-2006, 01:38 AM
Squid

DavidH1172
I have a Dianese Kirishima textile jacket (it comes in both leather and textile). It's definitely warm enough a rode about 50 miles in the rain a few days ago and never got cold once. For the summer time, the sleeves and the lining are removable.

http://www.dainese.com/pre.asp

David Hill
Old 05-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen
If it is below 60 I wear my Joe Rocket Ballistic with the removable liner then when I get off work and it's 90 degrees I remove the liner and put it in my tank bag and ride home.

If it's above 60 I wear my Firstgear mesh jacket with armor (very comfortable) then when I get off work and it's 100 it's pretty bearable on the way home. 70 mph 23 miles one way. It can get warm at stoplights but I feel naked not wearing a armored jacket. Firstgear mesh is top rate.

Joe Rocket is stiff at first but wash it a couple of times and the more you wear it the more comfortable it becomes. My Ballistic jacket is black so it's too hot when it's above 90 outside.

It's summer now so I'm wearing the Firstgear constantly now and it's not to hot if you have to go into a store and walk around with it on. The temp here can swing 35 degrees from morning till afternoon,
Old 05-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Squid

ATLSHawk98
i am big fan of the joe rocket - alter ego jacket. it is a textile jacket with a removable skin that makes it a fully armored solid textile and full mesh jacket all in one. here is a retail write up on it:

"Somebody in the design department at Joe Rocket really took on a challenge with the design of the Alter Ego. Not many jackets can claim to be "all season", but this one comes about as close as any out there. The heart of the jacket is very much like a Phoenix 3.0--a free air jacket with textile overlays on the shoulders and elbows, along with removable armor and a Dry Tech liner. This combination will cover very hot to cooler weather with ease. Then there is a removable outer shell which, when added, makes the Alter Ego very much like a textile sport jacket--similar to the Meteor 4.0 jacket. With the textile outer shell added this jacket will be comfortable in colder temperatures, and with the added wind block properties with the Dry Tech liner installed, it provides multiple layers to keep the chill out. For convenience while traveling, the outer shell includes a nifty storage pack built in, so you can store the outer shell and Dry Tech liner neatly in your luggage, tank bag, etc, or even in a pinch, you could wear it on your back like a back pack. It all seems to come apart and go together well. And there you have it--one jacket for all seasons."

to me it usable for all seasons and purposes and i have no complaints about it. there is also a leather version of it called the super ego.

good luck.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Squid

4wheelcycle is on a distinguished road
I've had my Aerostitch Roadcrafter jacket since the early 90's. I used it with my Nighthawk 750, then my VFR 750, and now my 2005 VTR. It's red and it goes great with my Ti bike.

The pit zips and full rear back zip vent make it fine for hot or cold weather and it's fully waterproof in a heavy rain. Built in elbow and shoulder armor, although I've never had to try it out.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Squid

MrFurious29
Having been looking around for new gear myself lately, I think the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego (textile) or Super-Ego (leather) are the best bargain out there. Personally I'll be picking up the Super-Ego as I prefer the added protection of leather and have never had a problem being uncomfortably warm with it.

BTW, if you go with either of these be sure to check out this seller on Ebay for the best price. Not sure how they're offering them at these super low prices, but they're a good $75 less than everywhere else I have looked.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgypsie2112

$215 "Buy It Now" for the Super-Ego (+$15 S&H)
$150 "Buy It Now" for the Alter-Ego (+$15 S&H)
Old 07-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Squid

ezerhoden is on a distinguished road
"BTW, if you go with either of these be sure to check out this seller on Ebay for the best price. Not sure how they're offering them at these super low prices, but they're a good $75 less than everywhere else I have looked.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgypsie2112

$215 "Buy It Now" for the Super-Ego (+$15 S&H)
$150 "Buy It Now" for the Alter-Ego (+$15 S&H)

I bought my Alter Ego from a local dealer for $245 out the door. Support your local dealer if they are within reason. Do not be afraid to ask for a discount above what they are offering.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Joe Rocket Alter Ego. Got mine off Ebay for $150 used (excellent/new condition). I love it although only riden with textile panels removed so far. Very good airflow as a mesh jacket. I've been riding in mid 90's temps and been comfortable as long as I'm moving at all. I'll give another review after it get's cooler here.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
+1 on the JR Alter Ego also. On the wet side, I've been through heavy rain and was dry as a bone underneath the waterproof liner. It really has a good fit too.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
I just picked up a new mesh jacket from MotoGP's line. It is mesh with a removable breathable waterproof liner that zips in. The liner also folds up small enough to store under your seat. It is good looking too. It has bona fide CE amrour that feels metter than my Joe Rocket armour in my Ballistic Jacket.

Check out the new MotorGP line. It's the cat's ***!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
ive owned Joe Rocket, Icon and now a Teknic jacket

I dont think i'll ever buy anything but Teknic again
Old 08-10-2006, 02:19 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got a fully perfed Fieldsheer jacket. Works great on the summer, except in stop-n-go traffic.
The deal is I wear it in the winter, also. I have a Joe Rocket Dry-Tech liner I wear under the leather. Stops the wind - period. Plus it's waterproof & has a very light fleece liner. Funny to say, but for $35 it's one of the best pieces of kit i've ever bought. If i ever lose it, i'll buy another one right away.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Squid

Corona Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
I tried to get in touch with teknic customer service last week to find out if there are any dealers near me besides "cycle jerk", our local shop sucks. Needless to say they never contacted me. Whats up with that for customer service?