RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

my rant about work.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
my rant about work.

So I've been working at this dealership for about 2 1/2 years for **** pay... I've been in the parts department for over a year now and was told I was gonna get a raise 6 months ago but no raise... I was also hired at a certain salary and have come to find out I make about $5000 less then I was told when hired... this company is **** and my last day is Friday and believe me there are many more reasons I'm leaving besides pay...

Here's my problem now... I'm working overnights at target for less pay and my old job at autozone wants to hire me back as a manager but can't find hours even though they have dipshits working there who can't show up on time and don't know **** about cars...

Over the past couple months I have submitted either a resume or application to almost 50 different places of all types of work but can't find a decent job... its come down to me applying to the local convenience stores and grocery stores just to make up the difference but still nothing...

I have 8 years of experience in frame to finish carpentry, almost 4 years of experience in aftermarket parts sales, 1 year of dealership parts sales, 1 1/2 years dealership service experience, extensive customer service background and a whole slew of other skills and certifications along with an associates in automotive technology...

I could easily get a job in construction but I don't have a truck or tools...

I don't know what the **** to do because I can't support my family and I can't have the wiretapping drop out of school with less then 6 months less... I am as desperate as can be and hopefully when I talk to autozone again tomorrow they can find some way to get me hours...

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated but if they involve my own company with a startup cost I can't do it as I've been slowly working on my own company for two years but budget wont allow much progress...

That is my rant...jchhhduchhvzgxxgdehduchdbdheufffjch!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

And wiretapping is supposed to be wifey.. stupid ******* phone
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
with the damage of the Hurricane Sandy, seems like construction might be profitable till you get something else. The manger position at autozone seems like a great resume builder.

you made a big mistake by working for a **** company for 2.5 yrs when you knew you were getting screwed. This is rationalization at it's worst. The unkept promises should have clued you in immediately and you should have confronted your boss then.

The problem with doing this type of rationalization is that you train yourself to accept abuse and you fool yourself into thinking you are working for a good company. The other problem with a **** job is that you think you have a job and it sucks up the energy that needs to be devoted to finding a real job.

It's a hard lesson, but if you learn from it and change your behavior now, you will not be liable to commit this same error again ever. No problem making mistakes, but there is a problem when you don't learn from them. Then you deserve what you get.

Bustin your *** is not good enough, you got have respect for yourself or most people will **** on your head.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM
SuperBike

I know its a hard lesson and I brought up the raise to my boss around the expected time and he said he had to discuss it with his boss... one of the two were on vacation the following couple weeks and I reminded him when he got back... when he started dickin me around the next couple weeks I started looking for a new job... I've been looking for work both aggressively and passively for the past 4-5 months and in the mean time have been bringing up the raise to him every couple weeks... the last straw was a couple weeks ago and I needed out of that company...

I was able to find an overnight shift at target which will allow me usual business hours to find a second job or a complete replacement job but at the moment I wont be making enough money to cover bills with just the one job... I have a wife and kid and although we have support from the state for him and support from family and friends I need more income...

I wish I could go back to construction as I have enough experience to get me more than double my income but I have zero money for tools and I don't have a truck... all the job listings I've found require a truck and tools...

And trust me as soon as I reallized there was no silver lining I started looking for a way out
Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scottiemann
I know its a hard lesson and I brought up the raise to my boss around the expected time and he said he had to discuss it with his boss... one of the two were on vacation the following couple weeks and I reminded him when he got back... when he started dickin me around the next couple weeks I started looking for a new job... I've been looking for work both aggressively and passively for the past 4-5 months and in the mean time have been bringing up the raise to him every couple weeks... the last straw was a couple weeks ago and I needed out of that company...

I was able to find an overnight shift at target which will allow me usual business hours to find a second job or a complete replacement job but at the moment I wont be making enough money to cover bills with just the one job... I have a wife and kid and although we have support from the state for him and support from family and friends I need more income...

I wish I could go back to construction as I have enough experience to get me more than double my income but I have zero money for tools and I don't have a truck... all the job listings I've found require a truck and tools...

And trust me as soon as I reallized there was no silver lining I started looking for a way out
I applaud your work ethic while so many people are little more than lazy takers. While it is important to respect your boss/supervisor/others, it is equally important to have that same regard for you and, if that is not enough, your wife and kid. So that means, separate the bullshit excuses from reality. In most cases, when they put you off, they really have no intention of giving you a raise ever; instead they are just using you for as long as they can and if push comes to shove, they'll look for another sucker. You realized yes, just get better and a lot faster in terms of identifying the "massholes" .

If they were good people, or at least up front, they would acknowledge your aspirations for a higher wage and tell you the truth about what to expect from them wagewise. Unfortunately, many business people today, albeit not all, are greedy and ruthless in terms of paying their employees and your job is to identify these types ASAP so that you can get away from them for something better without delay. Don't bullshit yourself for a minute. It's a continual quest until you find the job that is both financially and emotionally rewarding, and if that is forever, so be it.

Have you looked into Union construction jobs? School maintenence positions? Not that I like the union mentality I've experienced as a trucker who hauled into your area. Some real mean ****** up there indeed.

Regardless, in looking for work, don't sell yourself short by only looking at jobs within your skill level. Instead, go after anything because many employers want good people even though they may not have the experiece, especially those prospects who demonstrate an eagerness to learn and a strong work ethic. And the experiences of interviewing/selling yourself will be invaluable in finding better jobs throughout your life.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
I have felt this pain after being laid off by an employer after 2 years of crazy work. I was promised many things only to find out its a sham. I had to change careers to find work, i was working in IFSAR mapping which is super flooded with workers with not enough jobs. I have learned that over performing in the majority can hurt a long term commitment to a job. The bar of expectation can be raised so high that trying to continually output high level work becomes exhausting or undervalued. The happy medium is where i learned to settle. Doing my job well but still under the radar a bit. I left the Mapping field after 8 years of experience and left for IT administrative support.

Possibly you might find that there is plenty of work in other fields that you can apply said knowledge to. For instance, supervisory or management experience can be applied almost anywhere no matter the business. I have also found that most public service jobs are always looking for candidates and really require a day of testing and a workshop to get started.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 AM
SuperBike

yea ive been looking for work in and out of my skill level and I am fairly good at selling myself interview wise...

In this case it was hard to cut out the bullshit because my supervisor agrees with me that I dont make enough and cant support a family on this income but he has to report to a higher power as well. But like you said I have too much dignity and self respect to keep working for this company if they cant respect their employees and my main priority is supporting my family...

Ive already put in an application today and submitted a resume and called and set up an interview somewhere else for tomorrow

for the past couple months Ive been submitting resumes or applications to 1-5 places almost every day so i just gotta keep with it and someone will hire me eventually as long as i keep my head up...
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM
SuperBike

The thing that screwed me was going back to college believe it or not... like I sad I've been working on starting up my business for years but its moving at a snails pace with no initial capital and my inability to get a business loan for fear of screwing myself and my credit...

I was working remodelling construction for my father for 8 years, 5 years on the books making $1/HR raise every year without fail...

My father didn't baby me or treat me different then other employees at all, between 7:30-4 mon-fri it was business and I was an employee...

Anyways my mother finally convinced me to go back to school and switch careers to automotive since that is my passion and in doing so cut my income to 2/3rds what it was with promises of advancement...

Now I have a family and my income is 2/3rds what it could be if I stayed working construction... it would even be significantly more so if I stayed in construction and eventually had money for a truck and a full set of tools...

So here I am taking yet another step back, both because of my self respect and earning potential and the fact that I have a family to provide for...
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 AM
SuperBike

At this point and at this moment I don't care what I take and how many hours I need to work to be able to provide for my family, but that is my main concern... once I can provide for my family I can hopefully make enough above that to continue working on my business even if it takes dropping the individual income and taking 2 or more jobs
Old 10-31-2012, 08:59 AM
SuperBike

I have an interview with a repair shop tomorrow and hopefully my boss will let me take a long lunch or leave early in order to do so otherwise I will be sleepless for 2 days seeing as I have to work 7-5 tomorrow 10-6 overnight and 7-5 Friday...
Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I feel you man. I spent 3 years getting my degree to be a paralegal, considering the average paralegal makes $50k in my area and paralegals are required to be certified starting next year that I would be ahead of the game. I plan to one day be an attorney, but being young, married with bills, and coming from a low income family I couldnt afford to attend school full time and I don't qualify for financial aide. I work Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 and wentto school Monday through Thursday 6 to 10. After spreading myself thin with work, school,and trying to find time to spend with the wife I was more than excited tp be finished with school and start a career in a law office. That was until I started to apply at offices. These ******* scum bag lawyer's want someone with a degree and previous experience, yet only offer minimum wage with a 2 dollar increase after a year. Every single one of them. I didn't spend 3 years and over $8k, out of pocket, to make barely over minimum wage doing legal work. I have more self respect than that, and I actually took a job detailing cars that paid more starting out than a lawyer would have payed me after 2 years. Go figure, cleaning cars pays more than a legal profession.

Anyways, I guess my point is that things are screwed. Employers are getting away with screwing over their employees simply because they have a supply of willing applicants that they can replace you with if you stand up for yourself. There is no shame in swallowing your pride and taking a little bit of ****, but never lower your self worth.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
SuperBike

Yea I'm salary plus commission and my weekly pay didn't change when I moved into parts from being a valet... just added commission

But that was before I had my own place and before I had a kid...

And to top it off my weekly pay didn't change being salary and I work an extra 10-15 hours a week with a changing schedule that wouldn't allow me to get a second job... my commission is low btw
Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by scottiemann
The thing that screwed me was going back to college believe it or not...

College is one of the best investments that you can make.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
College is one of the best investments that you can make.
any knowledge is a good thing even if you don't actually intend to use it...So never count yourself out for that! However in certain situations I do find it best to not always mention said knowledge, as this as they say is a hidden benefit to you when a said idiot professing to be knowledgable in that area aproaches and tries to BS everyone, you then can either snicker at them in silence or call them out on thier BS. lol.
I have found in my many years of working (many different fields) that I do use the knowledge I gleamed from the diversity of these jobs. I am now an occomplished and adept handyman. I do most anything (and yes I have all types of tools and a truck ) . I also raised 3 kids on my own as well as went to college (although I didn't get into that particular field as everything became outsourced apon my graduation go figure). But the knowledge is always there and I consider it a plus. anyhow the one thing I wanted to really say is that don't settle for just anything (as that rout will only get you a bad rep as a jumper and you will always make excuses to yourself why). Best to do what you like even if its lower pay (as you will be more at peace with yourself and those around you). And don't thin yourself out with too much work as this will only alienate you from you children , wife, and friends (been there done that) and top it all off you will still be unhappy. Money doesn't always equate to happyness! And your of no use to those you love (and actually worked yourself to death for) if your too worn out or busy to enjoy them. Oh and those years fly by fast (trust me I know)...
That was just my 2c worth (take it or leave it from an older man lol).
Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
any knowledge is a good thing even if you don't actually intend to use it...So never count yourself out for that! However in certain situations I do find it best to not always mention said knowledge, as this as they say is a hidden benefit to you when a said idiot professing to be knowledgable in that area aproaches and tries to BS everyone, you then can either snicker at them in silence or call them out on thier BS. lol.
I have found in my many years of working (many different fields) that I do use the knowledge I gleamed from the diversity of these jobs. I am now an occomplished and adept handyman. I do most anything (and yes I have all types of tools and a truck ) . I also raised 3 kids on my own as well as went to college (although I didn't get into that particular field as everything became outsourced apon my graduation go figure). But the knowledge is always there and I consider it a plus. anyhow the one thing I wanted to really say is that don't settle for just anything (as that rout will only get you a bad rep as a jumper and you will always make excuses to yourself why). Best to do what you like even if its lower pay (as you will be more at peace with yourself and those around you). And don't thin yourself out with too much work as this will only alienate you from you children , wife, and friends (been there done that) and top it all off you will still be unhappy. Money doesn't always equate to happyness! And your of no use to those you love (and actually worked yourself to death for) if your too worn out or busy to enjoy them. Oh and those years fly by fast (trust me I know)...
That was just my 2c worth (take it or leave it from an older man lol).
+ 1 Nicely said!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 AM
SuperBike

+2 on that as well...

Heres my problem though, doing what I enjoy doing at less pay will not stop me from being evicted, having my phone shut off...etc

At the moment Im looking at filling the gap fast... for the past 8 years ive worked for 3 companies the shortest being 2 1/2 years and the longest being 5 years so I dont think filling the gap right now is going to convict me as a jumper..

keep in mind im working on starting a business and my girl will be done with school and back to work in march. so hopefully at some point within the next year or so I will be working for myself but right now I have to pay the bills...
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
yeah I understand about bills trust me. however that said there are limited amount of jobs out there at the moment (unemployment high ) . Here is an idea for you that may help make things more practical for you (as best I can ) .
Forget truck at the moment ,useful but not necessary at first. Tools needed to start a used circular saw, screw gun, hammer, tape measure, pry bar, 4' level, speed square. later you could upgrade to more advanced tools such as mitersaws sawsalls etc... But those basic tools can get you into building decks and most small jobs (quick cash). Have all materials prepaid for by customers (can be done over phone at home depot) and have then deliver (hence no truck needed at this point). This will at least get you a start. toal expence on startup cost apx $200. So make sure 1st job is good enouph to cover this expense then all jobs after are profit. ot tool upgrades, then cheep lil truck. lol
Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
yeah I understand about bills trust me. however that said there are limited amount of jobs out there at the moment (unemployment high ) . Here is an idea for you that may help makers things more practical for you (as best I can ) .
Forget truck at the moment ,useful but not necessary at first. Tools needed to start a used circular saw, screw gun, hammer, tape measure, pry bar, 4' level, speed square. later you could upgrade to more advanced tools such as mitersaws sawsalls etc... But those basic tools can get you into building decks and most small jobs (quick cash). Have all materials prepaid for by customers (can be done over phone at home depot) and have then deliver (hence no truck needed at this point). This will at least get you a start. toal expence on startup cost apx $200. So make sure 1st job is good enouph to cover this expense then all jobs after are profit. ot tool upgrades, then cheep lil truck. lol
This. I build fences and decks for extra cash, its fast easy money. I started with a skill saw, tape measure, level, hammer, square, all bought from yard sales for under $50 total. After my second job I bought a small compressor and a framing nailer, then I was able to finish the job faster and start on another one. Take small jobs, a few small jobs pay off more than one big job and you can do them without having to hire help.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
HMM - Good Advice

Scottie

Not sure about ur skill set, but have U considered construction management? I was a laborer, carpenter about 15 yrs ago & went into management.

U sound like a hard working guy. I've did about every job U can imagine between, 15 & 30 yrs old.

If U have a good appearance, written & verbal skills, U can easily get into construction management, as long as U don't have ink plastered in visible areas, U should be good. (yes kids that big $ U spend to get ur baby mommas name on ur neck, was probably a bad idea - put it somewhere the sun don't shine)

When $ was tight for me I also worked w/e nights doing catering jobs. U make good $ doing house parties & it doesn't take alot of ur time away from family, plus its mostly cash. Can U bartend, waiter? Look up high end caterers in ur area & apply. I'd stay away from catering halls, they pay **** & work U to death, house parties = good $$.

If U want info, send me a PM
Old 11-03-2012, 12:58 PM
SuperBike

Well right now I'm working overnights at target. I actually enjoy it and the nights fly by because there's so much to do and so little time. Although I've only been there a couple days my managers have noticed my hard work and have started training me in different departments and have been coming to me to cover other peoples shifts which I obviously wont turn down...

I meet with the district manager of autozone Tuesday morning to see what they can do for me as a manager and hours/locations I can work...

And I had an interview Thursday afternoon regarding working at a repair shop in the area that pays commission which is good because I am a fast and thorough mechanic...

Things are looking up but there's still a lot of unknowns right now but ill keep you guys posted