RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

damn you kickstand from hell!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
damn you kickstand from hell!!!!

d

Last edited by nfbzike; 02-17-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
p.s. it wasnt really the kickstands fault
Old 07-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Squid

clarkwebb is on a distinguished road
That sucks *** man. I dropped mine off a rear stand once. Luckily the front fairing was off, and I and the frame sliders caught it.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I learned recently while doing the brake swap, that when you remove the front axle, then the front wheel, with it on a bike stand, it will try to fall over. The shocks are allowed to move independently. My buddy caught it.

Sorry to hear that it fell.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I can one up you on that, back in 99 when i got mine i was so proud of her. i was scared someone would steal it out of our work garage so i put a wheel lock on her.

After work i was eager to ride, got on her fired her up and let the clutch out.

Next thing you know my steed is laying on the concrete floor still running and i am standing over her thinking, what the heck happened.

Well she didn't like that front wheel lock very much and when i pulled out and the lock hit the caliper that was all it took fo rme to dump he on the ground.

Busted turn signal, busted fairing, dented pipe and bent clutch lever.

Here is to your misery, been there, done that.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
In the future use a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, about 12" by 12".

I dropped my first bike 25 years ago when I stepped off without putting the sidestand down.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:51 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
I can one up you on that, back in 99 when i got mine i was so proud of her. i was scared someone would steal it out of our work garage so i put a wheel lock on her.

After work i was eager to ride, got on her fired her up and let the clutch out.

Next thing you know my steed is laying on the concrete floor still running and i am standing over her thinking, what the heck happened.

Well she didn't like that front wheel lock very much and when i pulled out and the lock hit the caliper that was all it took fo rme to dump he on the ground.

Busted turn signal, busted fairing, dented pipe and bent clutch lever.

Here is to your misery, been there, done that.
I've often wondered how often a wheel or disc lock results in a drop...especially with the Harley guys leaving a bar.
But hey, I'm the one who stepped off without putting the sidestand down.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Squid

Unclutchable is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
In the future use a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, about 12" by 12".

I dropped my first bike 25 years ago when I stepped off without putting the sidestand down.
lol I should market these

I cut out an 1/4" thick 12" square piece of steel diamondplate with three 6" metal stakes welded to the bottom to anchor it in place. Works great, even on the soggy ground after the nasty rains we had here in MO this year.

Could put a D ring on it and use it as an anti-theft device too I imagine, it's heavy!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel your pain... I had the old VTR parked outside my old apartment complex (as usual) with the bike cover on it. In rolls a monster monsoon storm with extremely gust winds. the cover acted like a sail and pulled the bike over on the kickstand side. Bent clutch lever, dented tank, scuffed exhaust. Shitty
Old 07-20-2008, 02:21 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I thought the ground was going to be too soft to support the bike so I parked it on asphalt when I got to work. The sun came up and beat strongly on the earth below, including the patch of asphalt under the kickstand. Intending to run an errand at lunch I found the VTR on it's side with the foot of the kickstand six inches into the pavement. Slo-mo tip over so the damage was slight but it took three friends to extract the bike out of the surface of the parking lot.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Squid

Manning
Originally Posted by inderocker
I feel your pain... I had the old VTR parked outside my old apartment complex (as usual) with the bike cover on it. In rolls a monster monsoon storm with extremely gust winds. the cover acted like a sail and pulled the bike over on the kickstand side. Bent clutch lever, dented tank, scuffed exhaust. Shitty
Sounds just like what happened to me a few years ago. Had a cover on mine outside my condo and it turned into a sail when a wicked storm front rolled thru. When it blew over onto the right side, I got lucky because it was parked at the end of the parking pad and landed in the grass. Only damage was a front turn signal pushed in to where there was almost no stalk, and the right clip-on plugged into the dirt about an inch. I think the act of plugging into the dirt softened the impact on everything else.