Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

how in the f#%kin hell do you get the axle back in the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
how in the f#%kin hell do you get the axle back in the wheel?

Hey guys, need suggestions. As we know, there's this floating tube inside the wheel the axle goes through. So how the hell do you insert the axle back into the wheel on the bike? Dang tube won't line up right...BTW, I'm doin this alone...
Any ideas other than a same sized axle thing at the other end to line em up? My back is starting to kill me, lol!
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Squid

LuvmyVTR is on a distinguished road
Do you have the wheel off the ground? I just did mine a few days ago. The 2 bushings on either side of the wheel are a close fit inside the swing arm. if you are able to adjust the height of the bike you can just slide the tire right into position and the bolt may need a little persuasion.
I used a hammer and lightly taped all the way till it hit the bushing on the sprocket side. I then gave it a little wiggle pushing on the bolt, with my legs under the tire to moved it up and down till i got 'er in the hole.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Superstock

That's what I was trying, with the tire asmy balanced on my shoes, wiggling back an forth. Problem is the Damn tube in the middle...think I may need some sort of drift pin
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Squid

LVMYHEMI is on a distinguished road
Try applying some axle grease to hold the mid spacer in place. Its amazing what just a little bit can hold.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Superstock

Hmmm...you mean that heavy weight sticky ****? All I gots is Mobil 1 synthetic grease...but yeah! Axle grease! Good idea! But how would I get it down in there? Remember, its sandwiched between the bearings an bushings...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Installing the rear wheel is one of those simple things that can drive you nuts.
Some things can make it easier. I screw in the chain adjusters until the holes in the adjusters are at the front of slot in the swingarm. I use a cable tie to hold the rear caliper mounting plate to the swing arm, locate the hole for the axle at the front of the slot in the swingarm and spread the pads a bit with a screwdriver. I cover the caliper with a rag so that I don't scratch the wheel while I'm working it past the caliper. I put a light coat of grease on the axle and make sure it's going to be within reach when I need it. I put the spacers into the wheel and hope they stay there.
I support the wheel with my feet as I move it past the caliper and raise it so that the disc slips between the pads. It's easier to install the axle from the brake disc side (per Tweety's suggestion) than from the sprocket side. The axle doesn't care what side it's inserted from.
The spacer between the wheel bearings shouldn't be off by much, if anything. A gynecologically trained finger or a dowel or screwdriver should put things right if necessary. There's a lot of slop in the chain adjusters and that plus a wheel that's tilted in one or more planes can make the job a source of misery.
You will beat it. You will overcome.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Strange, I never noticed this. Had my wheel off dozens of times. TMK the 2 wheel bearings should hold the spacer inside the wheel captive. There shouldnt be a way to get it "out of line" unless the bearings are not driven all the way in....
Old 05-02-2012, 07:18 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1998>VTR1000F>REAR WHEEL

That spacer, #7 in the parts fiche, shouldn't be moving. The bearings should hold it in place... Me-thinks somethings wrong here...
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Smokinjoe beat me to it...

I'd lay the wheel on the ground, align the spacer with the bearings with a long thin screwdriver, and see if theres any play between the bearings. Something ain't right.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Superstock

Naw, pounded the bearings in real good till I heard a clink clink...metal hitting metal...all surfaces sub flush...that tube was floating before I started. Oh well, at least I got the new clutch cover gasket installed. New oil, filter, an a coolant top off. Enough for today lol. Thanks for all the input tho...this forums got more DIY'ers than I can count!

Oh an BTW the car Purlator Walmart filter I got is too damn long for that bottom fairing...an its white...*sigh*...live an learn lol
Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
Naw, pounded the bearings in real good till I heard a clink clink...metal hitting metal...all surfaces sub flush...that tube was floating before I started. Oh well, at least I got the new clutch cover gasket installed. New oil, filter, an a coolant top off. Enough for today lol. Thanks for all the input tho...this forums got more DIY'ers than I can count!

Oh an BTW the car Purlator Walmart filter I got is too damn long for that bottom fairing...an its white...*sigh*...live an learn lol
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I just read your last post. I'm not sure if the wheel hub has a shoulder for the bearings to seat against, most hubs do, but if it doesn't, the metal to metal sound was the bearings hitting the spacer and holding it in position... out of alignment.
Yes it does have a shoulder for the bearing to seat against. It also should hold the spacer in place with some tension.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Superstock

Wait, if you didn't know that the bearings have a shoulder, why again are you posting? Lol. An It was loose when I pulled it...when all of you did yours, it wasnt? Hmmm..and I didn't use a hammer on the axle lol, that should slip in by hand. An I used a 36mm socket an a rubber hammer to pound in the bearings...I may just try axle grease that was suggested earlier...like, duh! Lol thanks again guys, ya'll are great!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
I always use a 2x4time under the ture and jack the bike up or down till i can see through the holes in the swinger and wheel then slide the axle in... sometimes it takes a wiggle to slide all the way through...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned
MotoGP

So is the spacer loose or held in place on your bike?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a triangular wheel chock. Place it up against the front side of the tire and then sit down behind the bike with the back of your heels against the chock to pull against the tire and raise it as needed. You can also align the holes in the wheel, etc. by putting the axle through the left side and into the wheel. Now you can rock the tire side to side as necessary to tap the axle through with a dead blow or rubber hammer. Hardest part is getting my old bones up after the job is done. lol
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Wait, if you didn't know that the bearings have a shoulder, why again are you posting?
You're the one who can't get your wheel back on

If it was loose when you took the wheel off then something isn't right. It doesn't matter what tricks you to get the axle in, you need to fix it first.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah dont go riding it with the bearings all misplaced. If you stack wood pieces under it to equal the swingarm ht it should go right in. Take pics...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah dont go riding it with the bearings all misplaced. If you stack wood pieces under it to equal the swingarm ht it should go right in. Take pics...
That's what I do too. Have a variety of thin to thick wood strips all about 3 to 4 inches wide. Use them for front and rear wheel installs!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Superstock

Guys its not a problem of the wheel being stacked, or any of that...that tube in the middle floats...guess my only options are a drift pin from the brake side, or axle grease...or both lol.
Thanks for all the interest! This site is tops for all kinds of info an knowledge
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Guys its not a problem of the wheel being stacked, or any of that...that tube in the middle floats...guess my only options are a drift pin from the brake side, or axle grease...or both lol.
Thanks for all the interest! This site is tops for all kinds of info an knowledge
I think you either do not understand what you being told, or choosing to ignore it..

One we can help with, the other, well that's your choice. If it's the second, just tell us so we can stop helping, and or wasting our time.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Been there. What I did; used a wooden dowel cut to the inside length of the hub, bearing to bearing, to hold the interior spacer in alignment. When axle got inserted the dowel got pushed out.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Wow! you made a wooden "ROD" then "PUSHED" it through? Is that called a "PUSHrod" ?

Sorry slow day at the office!

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 05-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Superstock

Pushrod! That's the kind of advice I'm looking for! Stay on topic guys! An marquez You didn't even offer advice...only criticism...so spare me lol
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Superstock

Anyway, much bigger problems...I had it started up...waiting for the fan to kick on...no fan...it overheated an shut off...Wtf? Waterpump shaft not engaged? How? I didn't unplug anything except the turn signal to take off the right fairing...****...at least I can access the pump without removing to clutch cover again, that was a bitche too, lol
Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
None of you have a rear stand? Wood blocks work fine I'm sure, but with a stand its a lot more stable and theres no need to jack up on the bike. Before o had a stand I would put a jackstand under each side of the swing arm. I would adjust one to the right height then tip the bike over on the side stand (so the back wheel comes up) and slip the stand under the swing arm, then push the bike up onto that stand and put the other on the opposite side.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Superstock

Got a stand man...an my method works for the bandit...but there's no cursed floaty tube thingy lol
Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Banned
MotoGP

If the tube is floating then you have major problems.... which can lead to a bearing failure.

The the leap to water pump shaft not engaged because the fan didn't turn on.....really???
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Superstock

8541, no, Two separate things...fan didn't kick on. An it overheated...no water pump? Not enough coolant? Air trapped in lines?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Superstock

An like I said before, it was floating the whole time, before I disassembled It...no problems...an it has shoulders...so it can't go in any further than it is...

Quick Reply: how in the f#%kin hell do you get the axle back in the wheel?