Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

How do the Moto2 riders get the rear wheel to slide on corner entry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
How do the Moto2 riders get the rear wheel to slide on corner entry?

I was amazed watching the Moto2 riders race in Malaysia. I cannot figure out how they slide the back tire as they lean into the corner. Do they do it by using the rear brake or by releasing the clutch lever? Why don't they highside when the rear wheel regains traction? Does anyone have any insight?
Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Here is a short write up on how SuMo "Back it in" I know the steering geometry is different but I imagine It is similar in "breaking it loose" http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20...2_backitin.pdf
Old 10-15-2013, 09:15 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
Rear brake to get it out and a slipper clutch and traction control to make it behave and a talented rider in the seat .
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
If you have to ask you can believe you can't do it!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I believe that Moto2 bikes have slipper clutches but no traction control.
The Supermoto article was very helpful. Thanks.
The last time I used the rear brake to "get it out" I highsided.
I think that the only thing that stands between me and being able to back it in is talent.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:54 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lloydievtr
Rear brake to get it out and a slipper clutch and traction control to make it behave and a talented rider in the seat .
"one common misconception is that a rider has to use the rear brake to initiate the slide"

Locking it with the rear brake is a recipe for disaster. When you let off the brake and the tire spins again it will regain traction and throw you. And a slipper clutch will actually make backing it in harder because the engine braking won't cause the rear tire to slow and brake traction while downshifting as much.

One thing you have to keep in mind whether moto2, motoGP, or supermoto, is these are racers on a track pushing things to the limit. They are so hard on the front brake there is practically no weight on the rear tire, often it skims and hovers above the ground as they modulate the front brake. Having no weight on the tire when enterting into the turn, while also downshifting and letting the clutch out, will cause the rear tire to slow and break traction, and the rear to step out. Clutch modulation controls the rear tire speed while slowing and downshifting.

But in order for that to happen, you need to be trail braking hard. Harder than I would ever want to try something on the street.. maybe with a small supermoto like a DRZ400, but certainly not with a big heavy bike like the VTR.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
They put some sand in every corner...

That's why they have corner workers there, to reapply the sand when it thins out....

Old 12-06-2013, 08:07 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The limit of front braking is when the rear tire comes off the ground. Push the inside handlebar with no load on the rear tire and the rear end will come around.

Roadracing World had a great analysis in an interview with Kenny Roberts, analyzing Marc Marquez' riding techniques. He trail brakes into the corners, keeping a very heavy load on the front tire and manages not to lowside. It gets him into trouble because his corner entry is faster than Jorge and Dani and Jorge whines a lot about it. Dani Pedrosa complains about the rear end sliding. Marc revels in it. Casy Stoner steered the Ducati with the rear tire and became world champion on a bike that nobody else could ride.

Marc's technique apparently comes from riding heavy, underpowered Moto2 bikes that have to be ridden very aggressively and don't reward smooth riding like the featherweight 2-strokes did. Marc is also exceptionally talented. Casey too.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
It's just the same as when you're riding a VTR fast on a gravel road - plenty of front brake, steer it off the throttle.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
A huge amount of what you see is that they are braking so hard there is no wieght on the rear tire or it actually lifts. This makes it look all squirely on entrance. I have no slipper clutch and do it with downshifting and all the braking my hand can do.

Its not locking up, and its not quite supermoto since they are more likely to lock it up.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Squid

mdouglas71 is on a distinguished road
I thought that you also slip it out from putting all the weight on the front? Thats what it looks like... the weight shift allows them to slide it out easily... otherwise it'll be much too hard.