General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

is it bad if the peg drags during a corner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
is it bad if the peg drags during a corner?

i was out with a buddy yesterday and ive been trying to get my knee down on the street. my new leather pants are a little snug so im trying to break them in so that i can move a bit more freely in them. well we were merging hiways and this ramp is smooth and clean and it does a big 270 and eventually turns into a decreasing radius corner. so i got into it and i had the bike right over and i was trying to get my knee down with my tight leather pants and no dice, im not sure how far i was but not close enough, but my buddy was behind me and said my peg was all of an inch away from touching the ground. so i know the peg will fold when it makes contact but is it bad for it to touch? even though it folds can it bend or break anything?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Anything that scrubs the ground can upset the balance that is traction.

You hit hard parts bad enough and it levers the tire off the ground to the point you loose traction and low side.

The VTR has a clearance issue,.. Rear sets help as does adding a few MM to shock length.

>> A Little scrub with the peg is not going to hurt anything but grinding some aluminum from the peg itself.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
dragging a folding peg isn't a big deal. your pic still shows your feelers still attached so touching those down is what they are for.

this was before i got rearsets...

tim
Old 07-04-2010, 08:28 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
you are an animal Tim
Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
you are an animal Tim
just sticky tires...

tim
Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
i've slammed the pegs into the pavement before throwing the bike into a turn. scared the crap out of me. lucky the bike maintained traction.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
SuperBike

good to hear. yeah the feelers are on still but the pegs are being swapped out shortly to some that offer more foot grip.

that peg looks like it was put against a grinder thats wicked, lol. good work

i guess i need to start hanging off the bike even further and get my damn knee down, although i wouldnt mind a picture of the bike leaned right over like that

a little off topic i was at a track day a while back and a guy on an rc51 was there and he had the bike leaned over to the point where i thought he was gonna low side just from being over too far. he literally had his knee on the ground without hanging off the seat it was quite impressive
Old 07-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You would be surprised on just how far a well set up bike, on sticky tires can lean in a corner......

is it bad if the peg drags during a corner?-lean.jpg

is it bad if the peg drags during a corner?-stoner_09gp06_0957_an.jpg
Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I drag them often.. But then I remember to shift my weight to the inside of the corner and suddenly they are no longer as close to dragging. lol If you push the bike down with your weight on top of the bike it is easy to drag them (and no real danger so long as you don't keep pushing till a real hard part hits) but if you are hanging off the inside with your weight over the edge of the bike you shift the center of gravity more and can go around the corner faster with the bike in less of a lean.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Only if you crash!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned
MotoGP

and in the dirt you can really lean it over......

is it bad if the peg drags during a corner?-bar%2520drag%25201.jpg
Old 07-05-2010, 04:01 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
I am wondering if you can accelerate the streaching of those pants. There is a shop nearby me that sells ice-skates and they streach them if you need more room. Maybe a good mink-oil treatment would help soften them up.

BTW - one person who would not want to know if you can streach leather is OJ Simpson
Old 07-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Honestly, I would just take the feelers off. If your suspension is set up correctly you won't drag hard parts before you drag the actual peg or your foot, or your knee for that matter. BTW, why are you trying to drag knee on the street? Save that **** for a track day you squid!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
i think its very bad. the reason your doing it is because you trying to get your knee down. if you keep doing it your gonna bee started a i crashed thread. if you TRY to drag a knee your gonna screw up your body position, if you work on your body position your knee will touch down. and you shouldnt come close to touching pegs, i came home from my first track day of the year with chicken strips but was dragging my knee at just about every corner.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi
so i know the peg will fold when it makes contact but is it bad for it to touch?

Yes it is bad, not to mention squidley, if yer doin' it on the street!!!!!
Besides, I know someone who will be very unsympathetic if you toss yer bike down the road!

Hopefully, within a couple of days you'll have some highly pre-beveled pegs showing up.

Rex
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
The worst case scenario you startle yourself, apply excessive input into the bike and wreck or lever yourself off the ground.

What could be bad is your form. That is to say you might be using excessive lean angle for the given turn. Remember, although some tires afford you a larger contact patch when leaned over, in general, your overall level of traction for cornering is reduced.

Getting your knee down is result of speed. Thats is to say dragging your knee does not make you go faster. Although its fun!

Alternately, you can drag knee in parking lot going 30 or less mph if you monkey yourself just right. Which is retarded fun.

I'm not a fast rider by any means, but I've chased people on modern sportsbikes who've dragged knee through every turn, all the while I am barely hanging off with room to spare, on an 20 year old 600 Ninja.

Last edited by Karbon; 07-07-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I havent had the money for rearsets yet and im just hoping for the day i do... There have been many a sharp corner leaning too far and scraping peg and a few that ive actually caught my toe on the ground.. made me seriously contemplate spacing out the shock a little bit and raising the forks... I do have racetech springs to put in just waiting for seasons end.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Back Marker

dickard37 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scottiemann
There have been many a sharp corner leaning too far and scraping peg and a few that ive actually caught my toe on the ground...
I've scraped my toe more than once and everytime it almost made me pee myself lmao

I make it a point now to keep "em up outta the way

Last edited by dickard37; 08-06-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
By street riding theres a good chance that you're not getting enough heat in your tires to really experiment with low lean angles. And another thing, with the Hawk's pegs being really low, you have to use some good form to avoid dragging parts, and to sound like a broken record, you really shouldn't try knee dragging on the street. If you screw up and misjudge your speed or whatever chances are you'll crash and your body will hit something that won't move. Consider this, tracks are usually 40+ feet wide, a single lane of traffic is roughly 12'. That's almost zero room for error. I watched a good friend of mine die from crashing on the street and it made me realize it's just not worth it. Seriously, check your ego and save it for the track.

Most trackday organizations will let you corner work for a free trackday. And corner working is valuable experience to see peoples lines and body position in all the different skill levels.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
What's the big deal about draggin your knee on the street because it's too dangerous. You can drag your knee in a parking lot, a traffic circle, an on/off ramp and/or any open turn on a back road if you use a little discretion. Doin this **** at the wrong time/place is foolish and can get you a driving award or worse, get you hurt. Next they'll be telling you not wheelie, then it'll be no passing in a no passing zone, then no exceeding the speed limit. Then you may as well sell your bike a buy a freakin convertible and just mosie along and look at everyone.

I try to be discreet, but I do pass on double yellow, on curve where I can see far enough ahead because if you follow slow vehicles on back roads, you may as well quit riding. Hell, if you follow slow vehicles till you get to a passing zone, you could go all the way from LA to Monterey and never get on the sides of your tires. Most don't think like me and that's fine. I know this for sure because last week a kid pulled over and forced me to the edge of the road when I was passing. This week I passed a guy on a curve and the guy was hollerin at me when i stopped at the stop sign to wait for a friend. ******** abound in the US. I got stop badmouthing these ******* because it's just a matter of time til someone pulls out a 9mm, or it'll be an over-zealous off duty cop in his Ford Focus and i'll end up with a hefty fine or takin a trip to the big house.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
then it'll be no passing in a no passing zone, then no exceeding the speed limit.
I'd never pass in a no passing zone, and I'd certainly never ever even think of exceeding the speed limit.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Folding a peg should not make you crash unless it startles you. Get your *** off the seat and you'll drag a knee before a peg. Why did you buy pants that damn tight anyway? Y-M-C-A
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Your body position is wrong. Get that *** off the seat and lean into the turn.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:40 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You would be surprised on just how far a well set up bike, on sticky tires can lean in a corner......

Attachment 9525

Attachment 9526
there was an rc 51 at the last lapping day i went to. guy was dragging knee and his *** wasnt leaving the seat. he had that thing almost on its side. blew my mind. looked like he was riding sidewall lol.

Originally Posted by residentg
I am wondering if you can accelerate the streaching of those pants. There is a shop nearby me that sells ice-skates and they streach them if you need more room. Maybe a good mink-oil treatment would help soften them up.

BTW - one person who would not want to know if you can streach leather is OJ Simpson
haha yeah good ole oj
ive been wearing the leathers more and more, theyre getting better but theres a hard fabric strap that goes around just over the knee and thats where shes tight, otherwise i could pull them up higher, but ive been forcing the open more and more. figure they wont rip, shouldnt anyway. theyre just tight in the damn legs. i used to leg press alot back in high school so i have big thighs, pants are a size 40 and i wear a 36 comfortably. waist is too big rest is tight, lol. i think next year im gonna go visit a man an hour away who makes custom one piece suits at a fair price and have one made
Old 08-07-2010, 04:49 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Honestly, I would just take the feelers off. If your suspension is set up correctly you won't drag hard parts before you drag the actual peg or your foot, or your knee for that matter. BTW, why are you trying to drag knee on the street? Save that **** for a track day you squid!
feelers are off i have new pegs on already

also its jsut a few ramps that are too smooth and tight to not have fun on. you know how it is

Originally Posted by jay956
i think its very bad. the reason your doing it is because you trying to get your knee down. if you keep doing it your gonna bee started a i crashed thread. if you TRY to drag a knee your gonna screw up your body position, if you work on your body position your knee will touch down. and you shouldnt come close to touching pegs, i came home from my first track day of the year with chicken strips but was dragging my knee at just about every corner.
ive got a buddy like that, bike is almost upright knee on the ground.

Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
Yes it is bad, not to mention squidley, if yer doin' it on the street!!!!!
Besides, I know someone who will be very unsympathetic if you toss yer bike down the road!

Hopefully, within a couple of days you'll have some highly pre-beveled pegs showing up.

Rex
and theyre pre dragged so i have bragging rights for parking lot racing at coffee time

Originally Posted by nath981
What's the big deal about draggin your knee on the street because it's too dangerous. You can drag your knee in a parking lot, a traffic circle, an on/off ramp and/or any open turn on a back road if you use a little discretion. Doin this **** at the wrong time/place is foolish and can get you a driving award or worse, get you hurt. Next they'll be telling you not wheelie, then it'll be no passing in a no passing zone, then no exceeding the speed limit. Then you may as well sell your bike a buy a freakin convertible and just mosie along and look at everyone.

I try to be discreet, but I do pass on double yellow, on curve where I can see far enough ahead because if you follow slow vehicles on back roads, you may as well quit riding. Hell, if you follow slow vehicles till you get to a passing zone, you could go all the way from LA to Monterey and never get on the sides of your tires. Most don't think like me and that's fine. I know this for sure because last week a kid pulled over and forced me to the edge of the road when I was passing. This week I passed a guy on a curve and the guy was hollerin at me when i stopped at the stop sign to wait for a friend. ******** abound in the US. I got stop badmouthing these ******* because it's just a matter of time til someone pulls out a 9mm, or it'll be an over-zealous off duty cop in his Ford Focus and i'll end up with a hefty fine or takin a trip to the big house.
thats just it, were pretty cautious where we play. long onramps and a few select twisty roads we run all the time. other than that i wont try to get my knee down when turning onto a side road

Originally Posted by superbeater
Folding a peg should not make you crash unless it startles you. Get your *** off the seat and you'll drag a knee before a peg. Why did you buy pants that damn tight anyway? Y-M-C-A
bought them online because they zip into my jacket and no stores had any. i bought up a size at the time and they were too tight, now theyre 2 sizes bigger and still too tight in the thighs. so im hoping to get the leather stretched. would rubbing some sort of a conditioner into them soften them up a little?

i know i need to work on body position. i need to see pictures of me in turns to see where im doing it wrong. but again its hard when the pants dont allow me to get a proper position. ill work on it
Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
there was an rc 51 at the last lapping day i went to. guy was dragging knee and his *** wasnt leaving the seat. he had that thing almost on its side. blew my mind. looked like he was riding sidewall lol.

haha yeah good ole oj
ive been wearing the leathers more and more, theyre getting better but theres a hard fabric strap that goes around just over the knee and thats where shes tight, otherwise i could pull them up higher, but ive been forcing the open more and more. figure they wont rip, shouldnt anyway. theyre just tight in the damn legs. i used to leg press alot back in high school so i have big thighs, pants are a size 40 and i wear a 36 comfortably. waist is too big rest is tight, lol. i think next year im gonna go visit a man an hour away who makes custom one piece suits at a fair price and have one made
dragging knees is a relatively recent phenomenon. We never hung off and drug pegs, mufflers, center stands, soles, and whatever else was there to drag. Hanging off allows you to carry higher corner speeds with less lean. To increase lean, you need to bring your knee in toward bike. It's best to learn the limits of lean on the track or on wide open turns with no obstacles to tear you up if you happen to exceed the limit.

for tight leathers at the knees: soak the knees in tepid water for several minutes, put them on and sit on your feet on the floor or otherwise stretch the knees out a bit, leave them on, then go riding and you can accelerate the break-in process.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:05 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
Well here in So. Ca., mountain corners are almost all blind. If you're going fast enough to have your knee down, it's only a matter of time before you hit a stalled car, fallen boulder, ******* making an illegal u-turn, etc.
1988, when they brought the USGP back to Laguna Seca, I hauled my 84 Honda 1000 interceptor on the top deck of my sem-trailer, unloaded in bakersfield, left my truck there at the building site, and went west to the coast, and then south toward LA. I ran across a fallen rider who ran into a fifth wheel trailer that crossed the centerline on one of those 20mph turns on the cliffs. On the way back up to Monterey, I met up with a bunch of locals headin for Laguna and we passed everything in site: on the left curves where you could see through the turns, and before and after the blind right curves. The scary part was that it got dark on the way back up and this added a whole new dimension to those highrise 15-20mph turns. I was leading them for a bit , but their headlites in my mirrors were interfering with my attention and I had to back off and follow. Talk about running on adrenalin and testoterone. I was so jacked, it took the rest of the night of drinkin beer et al just a to settle down. haha fun fun and more fun. I like those left coast riders. A great weekend that has remained with me ever since.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Well you can always just get some of these and call it a day......

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=90
Old 08-07-2010, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

Uchi, you need these to get your knee down. Puts your knee 3/4'' closer to touchdown.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...pictureid=2135
Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

homemade rearsets, JD 4FI shock mod lifted *** end, removed wire clips and lowered forks level with clip ons, effectively raising seat height from 31.9" to 32.75". More ground clearance along with rearsets = no more dragging hardparts.

Last edited by nath981; 08-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: is it bad if the peg drags during a corner?