SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Racing (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/)
-   -   How do the Moto2 riders get the rear wheel to slide on corner entry? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/racing-33/how-do-moto2-riders-get-rear-wheel-slide-corner-entry-31265/)

comedo 10-15-2013 11:53 AM

How do the Moto2 riders get the rear wheel to slide on corner entry?

I was amazed watching the Moto2 riders race in Malaysia. I cannot figure out how they slide the back tire as they lean into the corner. Do they do it by using the rear brake or by releasing the clutch lever? Why don't they highside when the rear wheel regains traction? Does anyone have any insight?

KCCO 10-15-2013 12:29 PM

Here is a short write up on how SuMo "Back it in" I know the steering geometry is different but I imagine It is similar in "breaking it loose" http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20...2_backitin.pdf

lloydievtr 10-15-2013 09:15 PM

Rear brake to get it out and a slipper clutch and traction control to make it behave and a talented rider in the seat .

HRCA#1 10-15-2013 10:10 PM

If you have to ask you can believe you can't do it!

comedo 10-16-2013 06:04 AM

I believe that Moto2 bikes have slipper clutches but no traction control.
The Supermoto article was very helpful. Thanks.
The last time I used the rear brake to "get it out" I highsided.
I think that the only thing that stands between me and being able to back it in is talent.

98VTRrider 10-16-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by lloydievtr (Post 364000)
Rear brake to get it out and a slipper clutch and traction control to make it behave and a talented rider in the seat .

"one common misconception is that a rider has to use the rear brake to initiate the slide"

Locking it with the rear brake is a recipe for disaster. When you let off the brake and the tire spins again it will regain traction and throw you. And a slipper clutch will actually make backing it in harder because the engine braking won't cause the rear tire to slow and brake traction while downshifting as much.

One thing you have to keep in mind whether moto2, motoGP, or supermoto, is these are racers on a track pushing things to the limit. They are so hard on the front brake there is practically no weight on the rear tire, often it skims and hovers above the ground as they modulate the front brake. Having no weight on the tire when enterting into the turn, while also downshifting and letting the clutch out, will cause the rear tire to slow and break traction, and the rear to step out. Clutch modulation controls the rear tire speed while slowing and downshifting.

But in order for that to happen, you need to be trail braking hard. Harder than I would ever want to try something on the street.. maybe with a small supermoto like a DRZ400, but certainly not with a big heavy bike like the VTR.

thedeatons 10-16-2013 07:12 AM

They put some sand in every corner...

That's why they have corner workers there, to reapply the sand when it thins out....

:)

RCVTR 12-06-2013 08:07 PM

The limit of front braking is when the rear tire comes off the ground. Push the inside handlebar with no load on the rear tire and the rear end will come around.

Roadracing World had a great analysis in an interview with Kenny Roberts, analyzing Marc Marquez' riding techniques. He trail brakes into the corners, keeping a very heavy load on the front tire and manages not to lowside. It gets him into trouble because his corner entry is faster than Jorge and Dani and Jorge whines a lot about it. Dani Pedrosa complains about the rear end sliding. Marc revels in it. Casy Stoner steered the Ducati with the rear tire and became world champion on a bike that nobody else could ride.

Marc's technique apparently comes from riding heavy, underpowered Moto2 bikes that have to be ridden very aggressively and don't reward smooth riding like the featherweight 2-strokes did. Marc is also exceptionally talented. Casey too.

PJay 12-07-2013 12:41 AM

It's just the same as when you're riding a VTR fast on a gravel road - plenty of front brake, steer it off the throttle.

smokinjoe73 12-07-2013 05:37 PM

A huge amount of what you see is that they are braking so hard there is no wieght on the rear tire or it actually lifts. This makes it look all squirely on entrance. I have no slipper clutch and do it with downshifting and all the braking my hand can do.

Its not locking up, and its not quite supermoto since they are more likely to lock it up.

mdouglas71 12-13-2013 03:05 PM

I thought that you also slip it out from putting all the weight on the front? Thats what it looks like... the weight shift allows them to slide it out easily... otherwise it'll be much too hard.