Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

took off carbs for first time

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
took off carbs for first time

i was suprised to see the carbs were also liquid cooled, makes sense i guess, they are huge. I have a set of d&d pipes, they were on the bike when i bought it. It has stock jets, stock filter and the needle was shimmed. I want to do a kn filter and jet kit in it with new needles. I was wondering if any one out there has done this setup and happy with the results. if so what size jets and where did u set the needles. i know i will have to play with them to tune it right but i would like a good starting point. I would also like to take off the air injection kit (pair). I have only seen one or two kits out there thats look decent. any advise on that matter would be nice.

i know this is most likley the 5000 thread on jets but searching didnt yeild exactly what i was looking for.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Carbs..

Hey..good for you..little tricky all that sfuff huh..Actually they aren't liguid cooled..they are liguid heated...Go easy with what you do here..search the forums...check our Greg's Superbike forum..very knowledgable people here..you may want to re-think the K&N...Beware braking your fuel enrichener mounting systems..fragile plastic...

Enjoy...
Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Back Marker

according to gregs site he did a k&n and had no problems. why you advise me to rethink it?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Back Marker

Hi Again

Greg's the man in tuning for sure..but you will hear him advise caution on tampering with the intake side in other posts...search out k&n..stuff like that..The Hawk appears sensitive on the intake side...more than the exhaust.You can get by with exhaust work, shimming carbs.. if air cleaner stock..but that seems to change when aftermarket air-cleaner installed...Take the time to go through this site...there are some frustrated folks out there that ended up with poor drivablity in their bikes when they have got way off with jetting..Along with worse gas mileage...Don't want to quench your desire to "fix er up"..I do it to..just learn from others...makes for a happy ending.

Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

well if you put in k&n cleaner and tune it right it should not be a problem from what i have read on this site. Gregs site gave me a good starting point for tunning the carbs. sounds like carb sync is kind of a pain in the *** tho

why is there coolant running through my carbs?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Back Marker

Carbs

It is coolant..but when engine warm, it will warm the carb bodies at the crucial area of where the air is coming into carb...prevents frosting I would guess as the reason..big carbs may be touchy...I will try and find some of the info on the air filter stuff and direct you to it..Of course you can make it work..that's part of the fun right.. I was going to go that way..But after reading backed off..

Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

ya im a tech and i work with a guy whos been wrenchin for 30 years and can make anything work
Old 01-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Back Marker

this is a great site with some great info on the hawk
Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
On mine at least the K&N doesn't seem to agree with the D&D's. It would seem its just too much air. I've got a Dynojet jet kit, but it still was back firing through the carbs from about 3 to 4 k. It's better with the stock air filter but still will occasionally do it at 3k. I am planning on putting a little more restrictive pipes on to clean it up. Just my experience.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, with the entire carbs set up off of the bike, how do you guys suggest to clean the entire thing? I wasn't sure if there is a method to go about spraying it down and scrubbing it or is there a certain chemical out there that I need to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Back Marker

macs carb cleaner from napa i think
Old 01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
The coolant through the carbs does not prevent icing. It's to help with rideability when the engine is first started. The thermostat is supposed to stop the flow of the coolant once the temp starts to rise.

That said I've bypassed mine. In fact I've pulled the hose setup from the carbs all together.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
The coolant through the carbs does not prevent icing. It's to help with rideability when the engine is first started. The thermostat is supposed to stop the flow of the coolant once the temp starts to rise.

That said I've bypassed mine. In fact I've pulled the hose setup from the carbs all together.
taking it off does not effect ridability?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Back Marker

Coolant in Carbs.

Hey Jamie;

You lost me there a bit..Icing maybe a strong word..frosting perhaps..Is the coolant in there not to warm the carbs? I'm thinking it is. Unless there is another thermostat to do what you say..The thermostat would only control temperature of entire cooling system. In cooler climates or days or mornings it could affect rideability I'm thinking. Some older Dodge v/8's had a heck of time with frosting if the heatriser valve in the intake stuck closed...this would happen on a high humidity summer day not just colder days.. Anybody else got thoughts on this??

Dave
Old 01-31-2007, 02:06 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Josh - I have not noticed a single difference. I ride down to the mid-30's and have seen no issues at all.

Dave - I really don't think it's an issue. The carbs should not be 'heated' on these engines anyway. It's supposed to help cold performance by making the intake charge a little warmer and therefore simulating the condition that the bike was jetted for. I hope that makes sense. As I mentioned before, the thermostat is supposed to stop flow once the engine is up to temperature. I just don't trust this system and would rather err to the side of power, that's why I disabled mine. There are no performance gains to be had, it's one of those 'just in case' kind of things.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Squid

firestorm'n is on a distinguished road
d&d

I've had an '04 for a year with K&N and D&D. As far as i can tell it's all good.
Just a little backfire,but I kind of like it.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Red face

mine is setup with dynojets , k&n and tbr pipes. it was like this when I bought it so cannot speak for any needle info. as far as I know the bike was jetted in cali and I am at a much higher elev here(6700) but the only complaint??: I have is the occasional carb "hiccup". Ive only ridden it in vegas besides here and the power gain did not seem to be much ?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

with the setup im gonna do i saw a dyno report of +7hp mid range
Old 02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Back Marker

cb21983
I use carb cleaner when I have the carbs off the bike which has only been once since I got it. I do however once a year run gumout carb cleaner fuel additive and that seems to do the trick.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
AS for the carb heating, looking at the diagram on the first page of the cooling system in the Service Manual, it shows that it is attached to the thermostat housing, but shows that it has flow through it all the time. I've always heard it's to prevent icing/frosting on humid days where the dew point temp is low. The venturi in the carbs can lower temps to the point that the humidity in the air will start to build up as ice on the throats. I guess the carb heating prevents this.

Way back in the day when I was tuning my bike I hooked up a shutoff valve on my carb heating supply hose and dyno'd back-to-back with it on and off. Results were interesting: Bike actually made more power with the carb heating turned on than it did with it off. Possible errors in this are the fact that I did the "off" run last. Bikes typically make their best power after you blow all the crap out and the oil is thinner, though it only makes a small difference by 0.5 - 1.0 hp. That was the same amount the two dyno runs were off by. I concluded that the carb heating does not affect performance at all, and other than the hoses being a PITA to hook/unhook when working on it, they harm nothing.