General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Long time rider first time owning a superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Squid

crtlv is on a distinguished road
Long time rider first time owning a superhawk

Hi everyone ,came across this site a while back and it helped alot in me getting my first superhawk.
I live in las Vegas and have ridden pretty much everything under the sun but I always loved v twins.after doing some research i found a superhawk that was fully stock and in my price range and brought it home yesterday .after riding tls and sv's and a ducati 900 ss I have to say I'm very happy with my sh.
Thanks to this site I had the confidence to know I wouldn't regret getting a hawk.
Thanks for having a great place to learn from and hopefully the mods begin soon.I already drilled a few holes in the stock can and will remove the Cali smog crap and pair valves this weekend
any suggestions on further things to do ?I'm a mechanic so working on my own isn't a problem
thanks again
Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Welcome CRTLV, and congrats on the new bike!

I highly recommend sorting out the suspension before anything else... especially the front end. Springs for your weight and re-valving make a world of difference in how the bike handles.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Welcome! Have any pics of your new ride?

First thing I did was install Heli bars. If you do long rides, an after market seat and taller wind screen will do wonders. Uncorking that big V-Twin is the best bang for the buck though.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:47 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. Why don't you just ride the bike for a while? It's OK to be happy with it just the way it is. Change or modify the things that bother you when they bother you enough to do something about them. Other than that, make sure it's sound mechanically and have fun.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:05 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
Welcome to the forum. Why don't you just ride the bike for a while? It's OK to be happy with it just the way it is. Change or modify the things that bother you when they bother you enough to do something about them. Other than that, make sure it's sound mechanically and have fun.
good advise...

once you get into it, be sure to look through the KBs, it is all there - welcome.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
good advise...

once you get into it, be sure to look through the KBs, it is all there - welcome.
Welcome! I have to agree with riding it for a bit. I drilled my cans and then found my carbs needed work and then....it goes on and on. I hope you have fun with it.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
Welcome. I have one question for you. I go to Vegas once a year and always wonder how you guys ride in that heat with helmets on. I would melt. By the way, i'll be in your neck of the woods July 12-17th.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the acquisition and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by superdutyd
Welcome. I have one question for you. I go to Vegas once a year and always wonder how you guys ride in that heat with helmets on. I would melt. By the way, i'll be in your neck of the woods July 12-17th.
LOL i get that question All the time when im out of state riding.I make it a habit to put lots of miles on any bike i ride.I take a trip from Vegas to Santa monica Ca at least 2 times a month and i ride there and back one day to visit my daughter.

As far as the heat,you kinda get used to it,I wear a armored jacket And gloves and sometimes my full track pants,Yea it does get hot in the summer but the way i see it i would rather be a bit sweaty than have my bare skin hit the pavement,Road rash and burn isnt my idea of a good time.Its why i flip out when i see people riding in full suzuki gear "Flip flops no sock,shorts and a suzuki tee shirt"

Hit me up when your out,If your on your bike lets go for a ride,I can show you all the good roads here.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by comedo
Good words,my problem is im a tinkerer and cant leave the wrench and drill on the workbench!lol
One thing i did do what drill a few holes in the stock cans cause the bike was WAY too quiet for me,Now it has that V twin sound That i wanted,And its cool too.
One thing i do have to try and figure out is how to get the buzzing out of the bars,Dont know if the bike has a mechanical problem but it has a buzz under throttle and mid to higher RPMs,The bike Idles just fine and has Plenty of power Heck it cruises at 80 easy and im getting 46MPG "Dont know if thats normal"
Any thoughts and perhaps i should post up in the tech section ?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of the sport v-twin. The folks here, as you already are aware of, have an awesome knowledge base and, if you can't find your answer after searching, just put the question out there. Someone will always chime in with their .02 worth.

Everyone here is helpful and I must say that I love working on these bikes. My bike had the Cali crap on it and I removed that and "impaired" it, too. I had a low end cough and shimming my needles got rid of that. I had the APE cct's put on it because it had 30K on when I bought it, but it runs like a new one as far as I know. Like anything else...take care of it and it'll take care of you.

Anywho...good luck and put up some pics!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Im pretty new to this forum too. I got my bike about a month ago and this site has been so helpful. I too drilled a few holes in the mufflers to get a little extra sound. It sounded good. Then this weekend i removed the baffles completely. WOW. what a difference. I highly recomend taking the baffles out you won't regret it.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superdutyd
As a Arizona resident let me chime in.. The helmet actually helps keep you cool so long as you are moving. A good helmet has air ventilation and the solar radiation is not hitting your head directly.

The Phoenix Police Department did a test of this for their Motorcycle cops and found that the standard Police helmet (half helmet, white) kept their average head temperature down about 20 degrees vs no helmet in the summer. (I heard this from a Motorcycle Cop)
Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranchomice
Welcome! I have to agree with riding it for a bit. I drilled my cans and then found my carbs needed work and then....it goes on and on. I hope you have fun with it.
+1000!! Exhaust changes open up the proverbial Pandora's box of tuning issues. Welcome, and enjoy your Hawk!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwshadow
Im pretty new to this forum too. I got my bike about a month ago and this site has been so helpful. I too drilled a few holes in the mufflers to get a little extra sound. It sounded good. Then this weekend i removed the baffles completely. WOW. what a difference. I highly recomend taking the baffles out you won't regret it.
I recomend Erions, a needle shim, TPS adjust and some #48 pilot jets ; )