Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Shotgun Exhaust

Old 02-23-2019, 03:07 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Shotgun Exhaust

After a few mods to the bike I was always on the lookout for a "Race "'system.

I placed an advert in a find a part service and got a hit.

I saw some pics of the system with all the parts laid out seperatley on the floor and thought , the pipes looked good but the cans were toast. Carbon Microns that were trashed but at the asking price it was a good deal so I bought it.

I looked at the cans and knew that they wouldn't do so I got the inlets on the original cans flared to fit the new much larger bore pipes and went to fit it.

I I was shocked when I realised that both the pipes exited on the same side that being the right!



The pipes are very well made and had no dings or rash on them so at 250 Oz they were a good score.They sit vey close to the engine cases and sump, the welds on them are first class and they look great. I'm sure they contribute to the many times I have been asked what sort of bike it is ?

Most people don't guess it and that makes it more fun!

When I put the new Carbon Micron Race Cans on and started it for the first time I knew it was worth it. Didn't like the look of them at first but they have grown on me.

A worthy mod, The butt Dyno after a carb sync and idle drop tells me there was a bit more at about 7 .

Been on for a while now and are a part of the bike.

Cheers
kenmoore is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 09:31 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
CaryDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 265
CaryDG is on a distinguished road
I WANT THOSE GRAPHICS!
CaryDG is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 12:49 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I can tell you a funny story about those graphics. Some people guess what it means some don't.

One day after about 700 Klms with a couple of hundred more to go I was in a service centre fuelling up resting my butt and having a coffee a guy comes up to me with the "I have one of those but yours is different ! What is this and what is that "

After answering a few questions he asks me what the sticker is.

I say, Have you heard of Yoshimura and Moriwaki and he says yes, so I say the sticker is from a famous underground Japanese Tuning House called Fukitani !

He replied "Oh yeah I have heard of them "

At that point I said I had to go and chuckled to myself as I suited up and rode away.

One of those funny biking moments that you never forget!




Last edited by kenmoore; 02-23-2019 at 12:55 PM.
kenmoore is offline  
Old 02-23-2019, 10:01 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore View Post
I can tell you a funny story about those graphics. Some people guess what it means some don't.

One day after about 700 Klms with a couple of hundred more to go I was in a service centre fuelling up resting my butt and having a coffee a guy comes up to me with the "I have one of those but yours is different ! What is this and what is that "

After answering a few questions he asks me what the sticker is.

I say, Have you heard of Yoshimura and Moriwaki and he says yes, so I say the sticker is from a famous underground Japanese Tuning House called Fukitani !

He replied "Oh yeah I have heard of them "

At that point I said I had to go and chuckled to myself as I suited up and rode away.

One of those funny biking moments that you never forget!



Not too brilliant for sure... That was funny mate lol...
NHSH is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 07:53 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
CaryDG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 265
CaryDG is on a distinguished road
What's amazing in the is that I found those stickers available on Amazon!
CaryDG is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 12:42 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I know it came from the States, can't remember where but it's been on the bike for years.

It is a statement for me about why I ride bikes .

if anyone gets this sticker and puts it on their VTR post a pic please , have a chuckle and remember the Fukitani story!

kenmoore is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:56 AM
  #7  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gettysburg, Pa
Posts: 4,446
Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Kinda reminds me of the Indigo exhaust. Any idea who made 'em?
Wolverine is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Kinda reminds me of the Indigo exhaust. Any idea who made 'em?
Was exactly my thought :-)
NHSH is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 11:48 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
All my research points to Indigo however I have no way of telling .

They could be a custom set.

Whoever did them knew what they were doing, the welds look to clean to have been done by hand.

Who knows ?
kenmoore is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:12 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore View Post
All my research points to Indigo however I have no way of telling .

They could be a custom set.

Whoever did them knew what they were doing, the welds look to clean to have been done by hand.

Who knows ?


Is this looks similar? ;-)
NHSH is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 03:15 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
It's hard to see exactly, but I believe the Indigo actually have a connection between the pipes somewhere under the swingarm pivots and your pipes seem independent, so you maybe right that it is custom made.
NHSH is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I took some pics before an early morning ride today. The pipes are independent and the positioning of the cans is different so I believe it may be a custom set of headers.

They are much larger in diameter compared to the standard as you will see in the pics.







They sound good ! Bloody loud.
kenmoore is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 09:33 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore View Post
I took some pics before an early morning ride today. The pipes are independent and the positioning of the cans is different so I believe it may be a custom set of headers.

They are much larger in diameter compared to the standard as you will see in the pics.

They sound good ! Bloody loud.

Yea Mate, don't look like the Indigo, It looks like someone made it custom, very clean job I may add
NHSH is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 10:56 AM
  #14  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gettysburg, Pa
Posts: 4,446
Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore View Post
I took some pics before an early morning ride today. The pipes are independent and the positioning of the cans is different so I believe it may be a custom set of headers.

They are much larger in diameter compared to the standard as you will see in the pics.







They sound good ! Bloody loud.
They look awesome!
I'm pretty sure the Indigo's have a X-over connection, like NHSH mentioned. My desktop hd is locked up at the moment or I'd dig up all the pics I have of that system.
Wolverine is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 01:36 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the comments.

It certainly gives the bike a different look and as I said confuses the hell out of them.

I am happy with how they turned out .

What to do next eh?
kenmoore is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 03:36 AM
  #16  
Moderator
MotoGP
 
Wolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gettysburg, Pa
Posts: 4,446
Wolverine is on a distinguished road
5 spoke wheels?
Wolverine is offline  
Old 03-05-2019, 05:47 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 28
Butts is on a distinguished road
Ken, they look bloody good. Stand out from the crowd.
I definitely will look out for you next time I'm down your way, not going to be hard to miss you!!
Butts is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
If your coming down my way send me a P.M

I don't live far from Kangaroo Valley , maybe go for a ride.

I know most of the roads in that area.
kenmoore is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 02:48 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 28
Butts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore View Post
If your coming down my way send me a P.M

I don't live far from Kangaroo Valley , maybe go for a ride.

I know most of the roads in that area.
Ha, Ken I grew up in the Southern Highlands. Now live in Sydney, but get down that way fairly often (still family in the area).
Macquarie pass/Kangaroo valley/Jamberoo, in the old days were my weekly rides. Actually did a loop of all 3 over Xmas on the VTR, was a lot of fun revisiting my favourite corners (memory still worked).

Definitely will ping you when I'm next down on the VTR, and WITHOUT the family! :-)
Butts is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 08:56 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
Ha, Ken I grew up in the Southern Highlands. Now live in Sydney, but get down that way fairly often (still family in the area).
Macquarie pass/Kangaroo valley/Jamberoo, in the old days were my weekly rides. Actually did a loop of all 3 over Xmas on the VTR, was a lot of fun revisiting my favourite corners (memory still worked).

Definitely will ping you when I'm next down on the VTR, and WITHOUT the family! :-)
I would join you too mates, love that part of NSW, but I live too far nowadays in fact freezing my *** up here at the moment...
NHSH is offline  
Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 PM
  #21  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 28
Butts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH View Post
I would join you too mates, love that part of NSW, but I live too far nowadays in fact freezing my *** up here at the moment...
NHSH, I'm always happy to go for an "explore" weekend north!! How far are we talking?
Butts is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 01:42 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Good one mate,

Give us a shout.

I work every second weekend , days of through the week as well .

Let us know .
kenmoore is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
NHSH, I'm always happy to go for an "explore" weekend north!! How far are we talking?
I reckon you wouldn't make it in a weekend where I am )) maybe flying with Qantas for 26 hours, I am in New England mate and have frozen snow on the ground at the moment... I would run back to straya if I could, can't stand the long winters here...
NHSH is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 03:14 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 28
Butts is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH View Post
I reckon you wouldn't make it in a weekend where I am )) maybe flying with Qantas for 26 hours, I am in New England mate and have frozen snow on the ground at the moment... I would run back to straya if I could, can't stand the long winters here...
Ha!! I didn't know you weren't in the country!! Maybe if I built a jump ramp around Cairns, and used "maximum power" of the VTR I could potentially launch myself closeby! :-p
I thought your reference to being "cold" was a typical Queenslander having a go at the southern states, cause its always perfect up there!
When I catchup with Ken, we will send you some pics to remind you what you are missing!! :-)
Butts is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 04:26 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
NHSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South of Live Free or Die & North of Family Guy
Posts: 1,377
NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
Ha!! I didn't know you weren't in the country!! Maybe if I built a jump ramp around Cairns, and used "maximum power" of the VTR I could potentially launch myself closeby! :-p
I thought your reference to being "cold" was a typical Queenslander having a go at the southern states, cause its always perfect up there!
When I catchup with Ken, we will send you some pics to remind you what you are missing!! :-)
Deal, please do take some pictures, I reckon Ken will take you to the best spots out there.
When you go there, just south Fitzroy falls, there's a great road if I remember correctly, Moss Vale road I think, take a video if you can, love that one especially up hill .
NHSH is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 12:30 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
SuperBike
Thread Starter
 
kenmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 1,522
kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I live in a Village just to the West of Mossvale Road and it leads to Kangaroo Valley and Barrengarry Mountain which ultimately end up in Moss Vale.

I know the roads there like the back of my hand and yes the uphill sections are great, 3rd gear corners , surfing the torque of the VTR between 5- 7 ooo revs and it's great. Lots of hairpins with fast straights linking them then hard on the brakes, lay it over and start again.

The downhill ride is good fun as well!

it also helps that there is a great pub in the Valley that is a bit of a bikers haunt and many interesting characters and bikes hang out there.

My VTR usually garners some attention as folks try and work out what it is.

Will be happy to post some pics when I get a chance.
kenmoore is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Just_Nick
Modifications - Performance
5
06-24-2010 08:52 PM
Anwar
Technical Discussion
8
06-05-2010 07:50 PM
HisHawkiness
General Discussion
5
04-05-2008 12:04 PM
SlowHAWK
General Discussion
13
10-28-2007 08:33 PM
MarineHawk
Modifications - Performance
12
08-04-2007 09:54 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shotgun Exhaust


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands