SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Shotgun Exhaust (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/shotgun-exhaust-35281/)

kenmoore 02-23-2019 03:07 AM

Shotgun Exhaust

After a few mods to the bike I was always on the lookout for a "Race "'system.

I placed an advert in a find a part service and got a hit.

I saw some pics of the system with all the parts laid out seperatley on the floor and thought , the pipes looked good but the cans were toast. Carbon Microns that were trashed but at the asking price it was a good deal so I bought it.

I looked at the cans and knew that they wouldn't do so I got the inlets on the original cans flared to fit the new much larger bore pipes and went to fit it.

I I was shocked when I realised that both the pipes exited on the same side that being the right!

https://i1043.photobucket.com/albums...psmrr4zui8.jpg

The pipes are very well made and had no dings or rash on them so at 250 Oz they were a good score.They sit vey close to the engine cases and sump, the welds on them are first class and they look great. I'm sure they contribute to the many times I have been asked what sort of bike it is ?

Most people don't guess it and that makes it more fun!

When I put the new Carbon Micron Race Cans on and started it for the first time I knew it was worth it. Didn't like the look of them at first but they have grown on me.

A worthy mod, The butt Dyno after a carb sync and idle drop tells me there was a bit more at about 7 .

Been on for a while now and are a part of the bike.

Cheers

CaryDG 02-23-2019 09:31 AM

I WANT THOSE GRAPHICS!

kenmoore 02-23-2019 12:49 PM

I can tell you a funny story about those graphics. Some people guess what it means some don't.

One day after about 700 Klms with a couple of hundred more to go I was in a service centre fuelling up resting my butt and having a coffee a guy comes up to me with the "I have one of those but yours is different ! What is this and what is that "

After answering a few questions he asks me what the sticker is.

I say, Have you heard of Yoshimura and Moriwaki and he says yes, so I say the sticker is from a famous underground Japanese Tuning House called Fukitani !

He replied "Oh yeah I have heard of them "

At that point I said I had to go and chuckled to myself as I suited up and rode away.

One of those funny biking moments that you never forget!

NHSH 02-23-2019 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 409345)
I can tell you a funny story about those graphics. Some people guess what it means some don't.

One day after about 700 Klms with a couple of hundred more to go I was in a service centre fuelling up resting my butt and having a coffee a guy comes up to me with the "I have one of those but yours is different ! What is this and what is that "

After answering a few questions he asks me what the sticker is.

I say, Have you heard of Yoshimura and Moriwaki and he says yes, so I say the sticker is from a famous underground Japanese Tuning House called Fukitani !

He replied "Oh yeah I have heard of them "

At that point I said I had to go and chuckled to myself as I suited up and rode away.

One of those funny biking moments that you never forget!

Not too brilliant for sure... That was funny mate lol...

CaryDG 02-24-2019 07:53 PM

What's amazing in the is that I found those stickers available on Amazon!

kenmoore 02-25-2019 12:42 AM

I know it came from the States, can't remember where but it's been on the bike for years.

It is a statement for me about why I ride bikes .

if anyone gets this sticker and puts it on their VTR post a pic please , have a chuckle and remember the Fukitani story!

Wolverine 02-25-2019 03:56 AM

Kinda reminds me of the Indigo exhaust. Any idea who made 'em?

NHSH 02-25-2019 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 409369)
Kinda reminds me of the Indigo exhaust. Any idea who made 'em?

Was exactly my thought :-)

kenmoore 02-25-2019 11:48 AM

All my research points to Indigo however I have no way of telling .

They could be a custom set.

Whoever did them knew what they were doing, the welds look to clean to have been done by hand.

Who knows ?

NHSH 02-25-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 409376)
All my research points to Indigo however I have no way of telling .

They could be a custom set.

Whoever did them knew what they were doing, the welds look to clean to have been done by hand.

Who knows ?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...eca24564d7.jpg
Is this looks similar? ;-)

NHSH 02-25-2019 03:15 PM

It's hard to see exactly, but I believe the Indigo actually have a connection between the pipes somewhere under the swingarm pivots and your pipes seem independent, so you maybe right that it is custom made.

kenmoore 03-03-2019 02:23 AM

I took some pics before an early morning ride today. The pipes are independent and the positioning of the cans is different so I believe it may be a custom set of headers.

They are much larger in diameter compared to the standard as you will see in the pics.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...psyhflcpsu.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...psbbv9766y.jpg

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...psud4sarpd.jpg

They sound good ! Bloody loud.

NHSH 03-03-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 409462)
I took some pics before an early morning ride today. The pipes are independent and the positioning of the cans is different so I believe it may be a custom set of headers.

They are much larger in diameter compared to the standard as you will see in the pics.

Yea Mate, don't look like the Indigo, It looks like someone made it custom, very clean job I may add

Wolverine 03-03-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 409462)

https://i1043.photobucket.com/albums...psyhflcpsu.jpg

https://i1043.photobucket.com/albums...psbbv9766y.jpg

https://i1043.photobucket.com/albums...psud4sarpd.jpg

They look awesome!
I'm pretty sure the Indigo's have a X-over connection, like NHSH mentioned. My desktop hd is locked up at the moment or I'd dig up all the pics I have of that system.

kenmoore 03-04-2019 01:36 AM

Thanks for the comments.

It certainly gives the bike a different look and as I said confuses the hell out of them.

I am happy with how they turned out .

What to do next eh?

Wolverine 03-04-2019 03:36 AM

5 spoke wheels?

Butts 03-05-2019 05:47 PM

Ken, they look bloody good. Stand out from the crowd.
I definitely will look out for you next time I'm down your way, not going to be hard to miss you!!

kenmoore 03-06-2019 12:02 PM

If your coming down my way send me a P.M

I don't live far from Kangaroo Valley , maybe go for a ride.

I know most of the roads in that area.

Butts 03-06-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 409494)
If your coming down my way send me a P.M

I don't live far from Kangaroo Valley , maybe go for a ride.

I know most of the roads in that area.

Ha, Ken I grew up in the Southern Highlands. Now live in Sydney, but get down that way fairly often (still family in the area).
Macquarie pass/Kangaroo valley/Jamberoo, in the old days were my weekly rides. Actually did a loop of all 3 over Xmas on the VTR, was a lot of fun revisiting my favourite corners (memory still worked).

Definitely will ping you when I'm next down on the VTR, and WITHOUT the family! :-)

NHSH 03-06-2019 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Butts (Post 409499)
Ha, Ken I grew up in the Southern Highlands. Now live in Sydney, but get down that way fairly often (still family in the area).
Macquarie pass/Kangaroo valley/Jamberoo, in the old days were my weekly rides. Actually did a loop of all 3 over Xmas on the VTR, was a lot of fun revisiting my favourite corners (memory still worked).

Definitely will ping you when I'm next down on the VTR, and WITHOUT the family! :-)

I would join you too mates, love that part of NSW, but I live too far nowadays :rolleyes: in fact freezing my ass up here at the moment...

Butts 03-06-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 409504)
I would join you too mates, love that part of NSW, but I live too far nowadays :rolleyes: in fact freezing my ass up here at the moment...

NHSH, I'm always happy to go for an "explore" weekend north!! How far are we talking?

kenmoore 03-07-2019 01:42 AM

Good one mate,

Give us a shout.

I work every second weekend , days of through the week as well .

Let us know .

NHSH 03-07-2019 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Butts (Post 409505)
NHSH, I'm always happy to go for an "explore" weekend north!! How far are we talking?

I reckon you wouldn't make it in a weekend where I am :))) maybe flying with Qantas for 26 hours, I am in New England mate and have frozen snow on the ground at the moment... I would run back to straya if I could, can't stand the long winters here...

Butts 03-07-2019 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 409509)
I reckon you wouldn't make it in a weekend where I am :))) maybe flying with Qantas for 26 hours, I am in New England mate and have frozen snow on the ground at the moment... I would run back to straya if I could, can't stand the long winters here...

Ha!! I didn't know you weren't in the country!! Maybe if I built a jump ramp around Cairns, and used "maximum power" of the VTR I could potentially launch myself closeby! :-p
I thought your reference to being "cold" was a typical Queenslander having a go at the southern states, cause its always perfect up there!
When I catchup with Ken, we will send you some pics to remind you what you are missing!! :-)

NHSH 03-07-2019 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Butts (Post 409512)
Ha!! I didn't know you weren't in the country!! Maybe if I built a jump ramp around Cairns, and used "maximum power" of the VTR I could potentially launch myself closeby! :-p
I thought your reference to being "cold" was a typical Queenslander having a go at the southern states, cause its always perfect up there!
When I catchup with Ken, we will send you some pics to remind you what you are missing!! :-)

:D Deal, please do take some pictures, I reckon Ken will take you to the best spots out there.
When you go there, just south Fitzroy falls, there's a great road if I remember correctly, Moss Vale road I think, take a video if you can, love that one especially up hill :cool:.

kenmoore 03-09-2019 12:30 AM

I live in a Village just to the West of Mossvale Road and it leads to Kangaroo Valley and Barrengarry Mountain which ultimately end up in Moss Vale.

I know the roads there like the back of my hand and yes the uphill sections are great, 3rd gear corners , surfing the torque of the VTR between 5- 7 ooo revs and it's great. Lots of hairpins with fast straights linking them then hard on the brakes, lay it over and start again.

The downhill ride is good fun as well!

it also helps that there is a great pub in the Valley that is a bit of a bikers haunt and many interesting characters and bikes hang out there.

My VTR usually garners some attention as folks try and work out what it is.

Will be happy to post some pics when I get a chance.