General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Squid

jeremyjo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Guy

I just bought my Superhawk yesterday and rode it home. 370 straight miles was a mistake, but this morning I love the bike again. I really liked the color blue in all the pictures I saw, but now that I've seen one in person I can't see how blue could possibly look better than MY red one.

I've got a question regarding aftermarket pipes. Who's is the quietest? I realize that's a strange question but I'm about to move into a pretty nice/quiet neighborhood and I don't want to be "that guy down the street with the motorcycle that come in every night at 2am" that everyone complains about.

I fell in love with the looks of high-mount pipes. However, I don't like the thought of my girlfriend burning herself on them so...they need to be carbon pipes since they seem to stay cooler to the touch.

So, does anyone have any ideas on the quietest highmount carbon (actual, not wrapped) pipe?

Thanks for your time and all the great info on this awesome bike.

-Jeremy
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I can help you out and tell you who the quietest is, but it's not in carbon: Staintune. They are stainless and have removeable baffles.

I can also help you out and tell you who is NOT the quietest: D&D, Yosh, Two Bros, Hindle, Devil, Jardine, Erion, and Mig. I have not heard Micron or M4 but I can only assume they are loud just based on design.

You'll probably have to go with something european if you want quiet. They actually give tickets for loud pipes over there. Some suggestions are Remus and Blue Flame. Leo Vince does not make a CF can. Indigo is a possibility.

Check out http://www.exoticsportbike.com/motorcycle_exhaust.htm for lots of possiblities.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:33 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Or there are a few company's now that are making inserts that go into the back of the can to make them quiet. I think 2 Bros has them but I'll have to check, they make them so you can have the race cans and then stick these things in and ride on the street. You'll might lose some performance because it will be more restrictive but you'll have carbon fiber that is quiet enough not to **** people off.....God I love living in the boonies.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:37 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Superhawk world...

Rick B
02 SH
Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Squid

ryan is on a distinguished road
I have spent a little time on the web looking around for aftermarket pipes, and have been a little disappointed that more companies don't put sound bytes of their product where you can hear them.It would be cool to compare sounds back to back. (i want to be the a-hole with the loud bike that wakes up the neighborhood)
Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Not all similar bikes sound the same, though, so I think it might be a waste of the company's time to put up clips of what their exhaust system sounds like. Especially if you have to do it for several motorcycles...

They probably would rather leave that for the enthusiasts.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The Microns are actually reasonably quiet as are the Yoshis I believe. IN terms of removeable baffles, I had found just such a product on eBay and posted the link a little while back. Just back a few weeks and you will find it.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 06-14-2006, 06:24 AM
Squid

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I've got some searching to do.

Does anyone know the cheapest, most reliable place to get stock parts like a fan shroud? Looks like the going rate for one online is $52.

-Jeremy
Old 06-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Have you tried Ron Ayers?

Otherwise, I've had good success with MR Cycles (Or maybe it's Mr. Cycles...?) at 800-359-0567. You'll want to ask for the Wholesale Dept, and also know the part # you need.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Squid

Lazy Lightning
My Leo Vince cans were pretty quiet when I got them. Luckily they have removable silencers. Now my neighbors definitely hate me ;-). But there's a fine line between hate and envy, so screw them!! HA!!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Service Honda (www.servicehonda.com). Cheapest prices on OEM Honda parts I've found anywhere. Some folks have had problems with them. I've nothing but good things to say. YMMV, as they say.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Squid

I totally forgot about Ron Ayers... I used to have a Triumph so I'm out of the habit of looking at all the mainstream parts places.

I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on one of the quiet pipes you guys mentioned.

Thanks

-Jeremy
Old 06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on the bike, I can also tell you that the Scorpions are not quiet at all. My wife can hear me coming home from a good distance.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Squid

GoBlu
Originally Posted by Lazy Lightning
My Leo Vince cans were pretty quiet when I got them. Luckily they have removable silencers. Now my neighbors definitely hate me ;-). But there's a fine line between hate and envy, so screw them!! HA!!!!
That's strange...My wife and neighbors say they can hear my coming or going from at least a 1/2 a mile away. I have done nothing to the pipes. They are just a deep, loud, throaty sound. (not rude sounding like D&D's) But, everyone loves the sound. I had numerous compliments from people at the R1 and Road King conventions at the Gap this week.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:06 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Not sure on availability in the US, but try Laser, they make road legal mufflers. As do Moriwaki, I have a set of those. Remus also make road legal pipes, and I think also Akrapovic.