Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Reverse Shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Muscle memory, or just plain memory is a bitch... I have been running reverse pattern on my race bikes and "normal" on my street bikes for as long as I have been riding... Swapping back and forth is no problem for me, when I'm on the road, I shift one way, and when I'm on the track I shift one way... That's worked into my brain and foot by now...

And you can call it muscle memory or whatever... But so far the only time I get it wrong is the first upshift coming out of the paddock on a streetbike... I haven't gotten it wrong once in life or death situations, or going full tilt on a track, and I doubt I will... However I try not to do to much track with a street pattern, since when my brain is in "race mode", so is my foot...

Exactly!!! Thank you.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
I also was switching between shift patterns at one point, never had any problems.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by jay956
I also was switching between shift patterns at one point, never had any problems.
Interesting.....
Old 02-18-2012, 07:48 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
i gp shift all my bikes.
im prone to shin splints.
id rather miss a downshift than an upshift.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 00SUPERHAWK
Really!?!?! Your funny boy!!!! Been changing the shifting on every bike I have owned and it has worked flawlessly. So BTFO there buddy, Never did I say I know everything. Where in my first post or any post did I say that??? Hmmm. And as far as "Squid 00 Superchick" your funny as I said there BOY!! Have a good day!!!
I really enjoy forums.. always someone got the talking down... Carry on.

You may attempt to use a VFR shifter, Then NO member will give you an opinion of adjustment...

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 02-18-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:57 PM
SuperSport

Read his post again, No he wasnt. It was a bash. And thats fine. He had his moment of glory on the internet trying to bash a 46 yr old. and to no avail he failed.
Thanks tho.
Truly- I wasn't attempting to "Bash" anyone -As 7moore7 also noted..
You asked a question, posted a picture, and other members suggested adjusting your linkage, I simply agreed...
As for a 46yr old.. Your responce to my opinion was the responce of immaturity.. We are all adults here.. If you post a question (put it on the table), your not always going to like everyones opinion..
Oh, by the way.. I am cleverly disguised as a 40 yr old adult
Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
On a side note some oven cleaner will remove the rubber marks from your exhaust in that picture
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Gentlemen, as for the 90° comments, if you have it at less than 90° then there may be more effort required to shift but there will also be less travel. Since our bikes seem to shift well anyway, without excessive effort, I prefer the shorter shifter travel.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by tomzxt
On a side note some oven cleaner will remove the rubber marks from your exhaust in that picture

COOL thanks, gonna try that today!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
COOL thanks, gonna try that today!!!
Works great for me. I picked that tip up from somebody else here. I used whatever was the cheapest can of oven cleaner from wal mart. Blue and white can I think. Left the bike exhaust cold sprayed it on. Let it sit for a few. Then wiped off all the mess from the PO.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, change can be hard. I have ridden since I was 8 and raced for 11yrs now but just can't do the gp shift pattern.

When I tried it in races I could do many laps fine until the actual race. Elbow to elbow coming out of a turn up a hill trying for quick shifts to win the drag race I would shift the wrong way. Tire would lock and hyjinx would ensue.

Didnt crash but came close and lost the race. Some guys can do it fine but think twice since the racetrack is nice and safe(ish) but in heavy traffic I woulda been dead or worse.

I will admit that gp is probly better but not if I can't do it safely under duress.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
SuperSport

As to attempt to make amends / I have also switched all bikes I own to GP shift. Since 1986. To simplify the muscle memory of use. The RC51s were changed- using a similar process- that you see in the pictures.. 01 Shawk was changed with the VFR shifter/ drawbacks to using the VFR shifter limited postions that are accessible of major foot re-positioning..
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Squid
Squid

dpg23 is on a distinguished road
As far as I understand guys, the reason for the reverse racing shift pattern has nothing to do with the "little muscle vs the big muscle". It's all about being at an extreme lean angle and pushing down on the lever to up shift rather than having your foot under the lever exiting a corner...which would limit precious ground clearance. In other words...easier to hall-*** out of said turn! Make sense?
D.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by dpg23
As far as I understand guys, the reason for the reverse racing shift pattern has nothing to do with the "little muscle vs the big muscle". It's all about being at an extreme lean angle and pushing down on the lever to up shift rather than having your foot under the lever exiting a corner...which would limit precious ground clearance. In other words...easier to hall-*** out of said turn! Make sense?
D.
Yes your absolutely right. The big muscle/little muscle easier to shift thing was mostly for drag racing, which is how I had my ZX6 and helped get down the track quicker.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

It is way better to not have to get your foot under the shifter to upshift out of corners but Mat Mladin dominated AMA superbike for years using standard shift so for sure it can be done.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Squid

YoshSuperHawk is on a distinguished road
I reversed the pattern on my SH but did it an entirely easier way. I removed the stock shift linkage and put a shift lever from a 1981 CB750F supersport on there upside down. Its perfect and looks like it belongs
You can see it if you look close enough.

Name:  SuperHawk002.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  133.2 KB
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

Nice Yosh!!! Your 81 just brought back memories of mine. My first sportbike. 79 CB750F SS. Was owned by the local Honda dealer in Tulsa OK and ran here at the Daytona 200 back in the day. One hell of a bike.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Squid

Biff is on a distinguished road
I wear snow boots when riding to work in the winter so I have switched by shifting so I dont have to worry about getting the big toe under there to up shift. I ride down into the teens here in WI.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Up, Down, Down, Up, Left, Right!

If memory serves me right, during the early 70's the powers that be mandated standardized control on all motorcycles. I.e.; left foot shift, right foot brake, same went for the throttle, front brake, clutch, etc. Apparently those powers viewed MC riders as A Taco Short of a Combination Plate so they thought it best that down shifting should go down and upshifting should go up for our safety! \
Just a bit of trivia from 50 years of riding and wrenching.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CaryDG
If memory serves me right, during the early 70's the powers that be mandated standardized control on all motorcycles. I.e.; left foot shift, right foot brake, same went for the throttle, front brake, clutch, etc. Apparently those powers viewed MC riders as A Taco Short of a Combination Plate so they thought it best that down shifting should go down and upshifting should go up for our safety! \
Just a bit of trivia from 50 years of riding and wrenching.
Interesting, facts I didn't know
Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

I imagine compliance was voluntary, and didnt apply to dirtbikes and atvs. Only think that because I remember all different shift patterns in dirt and bmw holding on to wacky control setup longer than anyone else.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Smoke, you could be right. It may have been just a DOT/IHHS regulation. But, I don't recall any dirt bike manufactured after the late 70's with different control locations. It seems as though there were a couple of Euro/Spanish bikes with different shift patterns. It seems I read about the standardization in the now defunct Cycle Guide mag.
I don't know about cars with bars (ATV's)
I do remember the first time I got off my Hodaka and on to a friends BSA 441 Victor and kept locking up the rear wheel when I went to shift! My first thought was that those crazy Limeys not only drive on the wrong side, they shift on the wrong side as well!
My son makes fun of me enough already as I occasionally hang off, knee out on my dirt bike and stand on the pegs on my street bike. Imagine the fun he would have if I had to remember which side to shift on!
Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CaryDG
I don't know about cars with bars (ATV's)
I like that one