Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Buell Front End?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Buell Front End?

I have the chance to pick up a complete Buell front end minus the calipers for $450. It comes with LSR billet upper and stock lower tripple, forks, bars, carbon fiber fender, wheel, used tire, and brake rotor.

What do ya guys think? I searched and couldn't find if anybody has done this swap before.

With a little work, I can make it fit. Or, hold off for a CBR1000 front end? I've been pricing those out and DANG those are expensive ($700-$1000)
Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Personally, call me a poser if you like, but I could NEVER mount up a front end with that ridiculous single disc brake (ZTL) set-up.... but that`s just me......

There are other options too, some have used GSX-R, R1, ZX, Ducati, Aprilia,.... front ends, you are not limited to the CBR.......
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'm the opposite... that single perimeter disc brake makes me all giddy inside!

Which Buell is it from? I know nothing of the forks themselves; you may want to see what Jamie has to say about the quality of the internals.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:41 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I say stick with Honda parts.

If you saw the buell have the problems I saw at Mid Ohio you wouldn't consider it. At first I saw that single perimeter disc and thought hmmm that's interesting.

After the guys first race he pulled in and started packing up early. He roasted and totally warped the single disc and couldn't ride anymore. Those were racing conditions so it would probably be ok on the street....but personally, I'd be embarrassed with buell parts on my Jap bike.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:02 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
IIRC, Buell used Showa forks, so the same supplier as Honda.... I would imagine the forks themselves are probably ok, I just can`t get past the braking system. While (I imagine) slightly lighter in terms of static weight, the larger diameter of the rotor (again, I imagine) would likely have a higher moment of inertia than smaller dual rotors.... in other words, different for the sake of being different while offering nothing in the way of benefits that I can see
Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Well, scratch the Buell idea. Right after posting this, I came across some 2007 CBR1000RR forks (have 20k miles on them) for less than a couple bills. One of the forks have some light scratches on it where the lower tripple goes, but they will be sanded down and painted or anodized anyways, so it is a fantastic deal!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:35 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
different for the sake of being different while offering nothing in the way of benefits that I can see
I think that's why I like them

I imagine you're right in that having the moment of inertia pushed out that far with all of the mounting hardware it's probably a net loss, but good on Buell for at least making a unique OEM product.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

As for the Buell braking system, that was the whole reason for wanting to try that front end. It just seemed like a superior braking system, having the rotor out near the edge of the wheel. However, after the issues brought up now, I think not.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
I took my sister's XB9s to W.Virginia for a long weekend of riding the twisties a few years back. I overheated the rotor and had warp induced vibration in the front-end upon braking by the end of the weekend.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
CruxGNX - when the time comes, I have a good front wheel with rotors and tire from a 2007 CBR1000rr if you need it. I sold everything from the front end except the wheel.

Also have some Apex 3" risers for the cbr forks.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
I have always love that front end. It is so unique. Although I like my 1000RR front end, I would do the swap if the chance arises. Poser or not, it's cool...to go along with my SSS....
Old 12-13-2013, 05:30 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I'm still curious what model the front end in discussion was off. A Blast? An EBR 1190 lol? What?