Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Rear Shock Shimming

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
VThokie412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18
VThokie412 is on a distinguished road
Rear Shock Shimming

I have access to a machine shop so I had shims made for my SH's rear shock. Installed the 6mm one. I have a 4, 5, and 7 left if anyone wants them. I could probably get more if need be.

Anyway, they were made according to the drawing available on superhawk996.net. I have a couple questions though. I loosened the upper shock mount, lifted the bike on the side stand, and slid the shim into place. However, there is a lip on the frame so it only goes part of the way in before it hits. To those of you who have used these plans, did you run into the same thing? Is this ok? I cranked it down and it seems fine, im assuming the shim was designe dthat size so you can actually get ahold of it to install/remove, correct? Or is this not supposed to stick out at all?

Also, what is the correct torque spec for the upper shock mount?

I rode it with the 6mm shim installed, feels way better, bike seems to fit me better (6'4"). Nice option if you dont want to get your suspension done. In my case just until I get mine built.

I will post before and after pics as well.
VThokie412 is offline  
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
jay956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 684
jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VThokie412 View Post

I rode it with the 6mm shim installed, feels way better, bike seems to fit me better (6'4"). Nice option if you dont want to get your suspension done. In my case just until I get mine built.
A shim above the shock has nothing to do with suspension, everything to do with geometry.
jay956 is offline  
Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
VThokie412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 18
VThokie412 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956 View Post
A shim above the shock has nothing to do with suspension, everything to do with geometry.
i know this, but doing the suspension usually result ins in ride height adjustability or at least a longer shock like jamie's setup...

so... can you help me with my question?

Last edited by VThokie412; 01-31-2012 at 06:59 PM.
VThokie412 is offline  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 PM
  #4  
aja
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
aja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 700
aja is on a distinguished road
He's right though. The ride height might feel better, but there are no advantages to the performance of the shock itself.

Nonetheless its a good idea and easy enough to do until you can get it set up right.
aja is offline  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
  #5  
aja
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
aja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 700
aja is on a distinguished road
Deleting is cheating.
aja is offline  
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
jay956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 684
jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VThokie412 View Post
so... can you help me with my question?
sorry not at the moment. The torque values are in the service manual which can be downloaded from the knowledge base here. If that specific bolt isnt listed you can search for a "standard" of the bolt that size. My bike is in a buddies garage torn apart so I cannot look at mine.
jay956 is offline  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
spladle160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Warrenton Virginia
Posts: 380
spladle160 is on a distinguished road
44Nm
spladle160 is offline  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 1,082
HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I might be interested in the 4 and 5 mm shims..PM me with a price.
HRCA#1 is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM
  #9  
Banned
MotoGP
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake View Terrace, CA
Posts: 5,942
8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The lip on the frame is to keep the upper shock mount from spinning.

Not sure which spacer stlye your are talking about because I have always just made my own. That is also why my spacer is mounted to the upper mount so it can't spin or turn, just like the stock set up.

The guys covered the rest which is the difference between suspension & geometry changes
8541Hawk is offline  
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
kelowna1971 is on a distinguished road
pm'd you to see if you had any spacers left
kelowna1971 is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
  #11  
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker
 
00SUPERHAWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 197
00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VThokie412 View Post
I have access to a machine shop so I had shims made for my SH's rear shock. Installed the 6mm one. I have a 4, 5, and 7 left if anyone wants them. I could probably get more if need be.

Anyway, they were made according to the drawing available on superhawk996.net. I have a couple questions though. I loosened the upper shock mount, lifted the bike on the side stand, and slid the shim into place. However, there is a lip on the frame so it only goes part of the way in before it hits. To those of you who have used these plans, did you run into the same thing? Is this ok? I cranked it down and it seems fine, im assuming the shim was designe dthat size so you can actually get ahold of it to install/remove, correct? Or is this not supposed to stick out at all?

Also, what is the correct torque spec for the upper shock mount?

I rode it with the 6mm shim installed, feels way better, bike seems to fit me better (6'4"). Nice option if you dont want to get your suspension done. In my case just until I get mine built.

I will post before and after pics as well.
Pic??
00SUPERHAWK is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ABE PA
Posts: 423
Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Yeah make good with the pics! If It's something that increases the distance between the seat and the pegs, not just overall height, I'd be interested..
Bandit400man is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
  #13  
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker
 
00SUPERHAWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 197
00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Here is mine. Just installed a .265 in (roughly 6.5mm) shim. I also have rear spring preload at its max setting. Guess you could say I like a firm rear end.....LOL

Dont mind the melted plastic bag residue on the mid pipe.....Still pissed bout that.

Rear Shock Shimming-2012-02-17_15-58-16_719.jpg
00SUPERHAWK is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,015
Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I posted some up in the clasified section if anyone is interested, if not no big deal. I had these made 10 years ago and i didn't slot them.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...82/#post325188
Thumper is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
eersfanpilot
Modifications - Performance
11
04-01-2012 07:26 PM
uchi
Modifications - Cosmetic
2
07-19-2010 06:19 AM
scarface
Technical Discussion
9
01-01-2009 08:09 AM
redman
Technical Discussion
12
08-01-2007 05:28 PM
mojo
Modifications - Performance
2
08-22-2005 06:44 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Shock Shimming


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands