Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Shimming valves tomorrow...any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Shimming valves tomorrow...any tips?

Just read the manual...ugh Do I really have to take the carbs out? The bike is new to me at 20K and I want to check valve clearance. I have APEs to install afterwards, (or before?). Fairing off, tank off, no probs. Why the carbs?
Since I'm doing the CCTs too, any need to worry about using zipties etc? I'm willing to bet I will have to swap some shims so I'll be removing the cams anyway, and thusly aligning/matching cams/crank, to marks upon reassembly.
Sounds like quite a task but the shop around here wants 300bux and I need to get familiar with my bike.
Tips? Trix? Things to remember to buy when I hit the Honda shop? etc etc.....thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Back Marker

cb21983
To check each set of valves the cylinder must be at top dead center on the one you are checking. This is going to be the best time to put your APEs in as well since you will have to do this to relieve pressure on the valvetrain. So do both at the same time. I would measure each cylinder as is with the stock CCT in because you will have to remove it to change the shims anyway. When you reinstall the cams make sure you time them correctly and put in the new APE tensioners.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redman
Sounds like quite a task but the shop around here wants 300bux .

Yup. See the connection? quite a task - 300bux?.

its not that bad a job. but there are a lot of steps and disassembly required. You can squeeze by somethings, but first time through I would remove everything the manual says so you have as much room as possible. Just take your time. You will learn a lot about the bike, which is nice. Just be sure to leave a lot of time so you aren't rushing anything. There is lots of advice here if you get stuck too.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Superstock

Thanks for the support guys.
I'm used to daunting tasks...just hard starting them. New bike an'all. I did the TPS adjust today so...tank airbox fairing off. Next is check valves. Hope they're within specs! If not...I'll be on kissing terms with my new bike, that's for sure. Then it's APEs, long runner on intake, carb sync, pilot/idle adjust, and post results. Plenty more on the way.....it never really ends does it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by redman
Thanks for the support guys.... Plenty more on the way.....it never really ends does it.
Heh. No.. No, it doesn't. Keep us informed on all the upgrades, and we'll help you out along the way should you need us.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Over 40k miles and I've not had a valve out of spec yet. A few are on the tight side but not out. I'd expect to only do a check.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:59 PM
Superstock

Well...some luck at least. The rears were all good so I put in the APE. I had the cover off so I took off the chain cover and adjusted the APE correctly and buttoned it all back up...YAY!
The front intakes were at .005" and .003" however so...the cam must come off. If they were both .005, I'd leave it but 003 is a bit tight for my tastes. May as well get that 005 to 006 too while I'm in there. Have to make some money the next few days too so won't really have time to finish up til later..:-(. S'okay..., I have sprockys and chain, and another R/R, and a +4 ign advancer on the way so I'll be tinkering or the next ten days I fear.
I'll post as progress permits.
Cheers
Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 AM
SuperSport

Redman, what year is your Hawk? The late model ones don't need the advancer, so I thought I'd ask, just in case..
Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
Valve adjustments are not difficult. Just follow the directions and don't drop anything into the engine. Learn from my mistakes.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=5992
Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Superstock

it's a '98
Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
Redman, what year is your Hawk? The late model ones don't need the advancer, so I thought I'd ask, just in case..
Scoob,

Where'd you get this info?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Scoob,

Where'd you get this info?
From this site! Actually, you have responded to one of my posts in past vis a vis this very topic, so I was under the impression you knew that the timing curve is shaped different in the late year models. For those years, adding 4 degrees of timing could conceivably do more harm than good. I guess I should try to find a thread or two that talks about this..
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
SuperSport

This is the one I was thinking of. Looks like you were referring to the post above mine. Heh.

But..

Check this out, and this ,and it's even worth checking out this.