Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb needle/ shimming question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Back Marker

scarface is on a distinguished road
Carb needle/ shimming question

I have read all the threads from where I searched, and still I have questions...

WHen I bought my 98 SH, stock w/ 8k on it, it bucked (popping through carbs)a tad bit under 3k when cruising in lower gears, w light throttle (speed limit is 25 all around my home)

THen I put on a set of wyleco mids and cans, and the poping through the carbs has gotten horrible. I can pull the choke and it gets better, but then its idling around 2k.

It rides great under more throttle, at higher speeds and rpms.

Does this sound like the common needing to shim the needles, or does this sound like I need to rejet?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
You are lean. You can try shimming the needles first and see how it runs or just go ahead and rejet.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Back Marker

ok thanks bro.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
At very small throttle openings you're mostly running on the mixture screws. Try turning out to 2.25 turns, shimming needles 0.040", and finish off with a good carb sync. If you want to go "all out" get a jet kit and bump up your main jet size as required.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Back Marker

Im quit handy when it comes to working on cars, however I have never touched a motorcycle carb. I cant seem to find a detailed how to on this, so I guess Im forced to pay someone to do it
Old 12-31-2008, 03:24 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Why? It's not that different from cars... Just more cramped... If you have disasembled a car carb, you'll be able to learn this...
Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Back Marker

if I had some kind of guide would help
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
this screams for someone in the know to post a vtr carbs 101. and for the administrator to make it a sticky. i know nothing about carbs on my new superhawk either but carbs are carbs so it shouldnt be to hard. remove the air box and then take the black caps off the carbs and then shim the needles. other carbs i have worked on the air fuel mixture a/f screw is located on the bottom of the carbs usually covered by a brass cap or some such. that may need to be drilled out? and then just turn the screw in till its snug and then back out the recomended turns. i know i probbally didnt help but hey i tried.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Its all about time

and instant gratication. To create a how2 on a specific component takes time. After you learn the old fashioned way, you create the how2 and post it.

Its easy to do if you've done it b4 and thats why they have shop manuals. Carbs have changed since I started working on them and I have not been too hands-on with fi. But carbs are satisfying like fi can never be. I learned early and know how fi works but it seems a no brainer until you tie ifi into the infinite possibilities.

But take pride in the largest carbs honda ever put on a production motorbike, and get a manual and your on your way to real enjoyment.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
well i just figured someone here in the next riding season with the capabilities to do a how2 could just for the general knowledge base. so when new guys come here there would be a specific thread to point them to . i know there are guys on here who can shoot off the top of there heads what needs to be done and and wich jet kit is the best? i might attempt a how to but i generally like to take my bike to the shop. because i work 6 days a week and dont really have alot of extra time. sides i work on machines for a living and have really no desire to turn a wrench on my own stuff. now if its broke ill fix it. but other than that ill let someone else do the work if i can. but for everyone who loves to get intimate with there bike this carb write up would probally be a awsome project. and be a great sourse of info for anyone new to the superhawk.