Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

OCMD is taking a hold of me

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
OCMD is taking a hold of me

after the RC front end, plus a few other mods ive done to the shawk, i cant stop. i love wrenching almost as much as i love riding, and now im determined to do the swingarm brace mod. IMO a run of the mill R1 or CBR etc... may be all fine and dandy but nothing special. I much prefer to mod the SHawk and suprise those same guys on the brand new liter bikes when im keeping up with them on an "old" bike. never get tired of the looks on their faces when i give em a run for their money.

Anyway's my questions are about the 900RR swingarm brace mod. whats better to use (im sure ill get varied opinions) the two bar brace, or the block brace? ive searched around and read that one is beefier than the other. also in relation to making the dent for the shock, which one is better? ive seen the block one just be dented in using a pipe and blow torch, but what about the two block? do u grind away at it. im thinking of buying another VTR swingarm as well so i can get all the welding done without any down time for the bike seeing as i commute as well on it. then ill sell my current SA.

i also know that the brake caliper from the 900rr is needed in order to clear the brace, but i think i read that its a male on the VTR SA and a female on the RR SA, so am i correct that u need to grind off the VTR's brake mount tab and weld on the RR's tabs?

any help or advice is appreciated!
as stated i used the search funtion BUT if theres a thread that i missed that goes in depth on all this then just point me there please
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Have a look at the post below yours by Mr Marquez- Swingarm Brace And Underslung Caliper.

I have a braced swingarm and the difference is unbelievable.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:08 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
I much prefer to mod the SHawk and suprise those same guys on the brand new liter bikes when they can't keep up with me an "old" bike. never get tired of the looks on their faces when i give em a run for their money.

Anyway's my questions are about the 900RR swingarm brace mod.
Fixed ^^

Have a look @ Eriks, kenmoores, and james threads. Tons of info there. If that isn't quite enough, www.vtr1000.org has a nice write up.

And the OCMD will not go away.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the club! The swing arm brace is next on my list, along with a fork brace after I get the JDM shock I ordered (hold up not due to Jammie, apparently hyperpro is moving an holding all orders on springs...). Wrenching is half the fun of riding, it's great having that self gratification of seeing the direct effects of your work!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...r-mount-31513/

If that does not answer your questions, post in that thread and I or others will chime in.... not a thread jack if the question is about that MOD..
Old 01-18-2014, 07:00 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Fixed ^^
that alot of times is the case Wolverine! theres a video on youtube of a pretty good rider with a tank mount go pro, chasing me up mulholland on his crossplane R1, and i must say i was RIPPING it through there. at a few points through the canyon hes not able to keep with me. ill see if i can find the video and post it here.

and thanks for the links. im gonna read through them and see what needs to be done in prep. fortunately my buddy who races in formula drift, also is a master at welding so ill have him fab everything up.