Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Looking for someone good with SH jetting

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

jdavidc85 is on a distinguished road
Looking for someone good with SH jetting

Hello all, The PO of my 03 Hawk had Jardine full exhaust system put on Stock filter. He never had it rejetted, though he did buy dynojet jet kit and gave it to me with bike. It had a noticable hesitation between 3-4000 rpms. Middle and top end pulled hard! Well I took to local Honda dealer to have installed and they installed mains cuz I guess thats all the kit was for. which didnt help the problem between 3-4000 rpm, also it feels less responsive now in higher rpm. So I took back and they bumped up pilots to 48s which I believe stocks are 45. This fixed low rpm hesitation. but I still feel like mid - top end is incorrect now. I dont want to take it back there again now for a dealer they seem like there not familiar with carbs.

That said, Anyone know of a good mechanic in Cleveland Ohio area? Good with jetting on these hawks? Just want to get it right. Its powerful but it just seems like its not right on. I cant break tires loose by just pullin on throttle like some of these guys speak of. Thanks for any info guys!

Last edited by jdavidc85; 08-21-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Rider
Squid
Squid

Superchicken du nord is on a distinguished road
I'm having problems with my hawk too (you can see the thread: WOT Issues), but honestly, I found out a lot of guys aren't familiar with our bikes. (Service technicians that is). Your best bet is to read a lot of these threads, and gain good knowlege so that you can TELL the service guys what to do, and just let them do the manual labor if you don't have the time/tools. Otherwise, it's going to get costly because they'll have you in there over and over cuz it won't be fixed. Just my two cents worth!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
this would be your best bet.with this setup,you might have to play with the shims a tiny bit,but should be able to get a noticeable gain all the way around.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/
Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Rider
Squid
Squid

Superchicken du nord is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saige
this would be your best bet.with this setup,you might have to play with the shims a tiny bit,but should be able to get a noticeable gain all the way around.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/

Heck yea! I can use this too!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Superchicken du nord
Heck yea! I can use this too!
lol,yes,i posted that in your thread too.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jdavidc85
Hello all, The PO of my 03 Hawk had Jardine full exhaust system put on Stock filter. He never had it rejetted, though he did buy dynojet jet kit and gave it to me with bike. It had a noticable hesitation between 3-4000 rpms. Middle and top end pulled hard! Well I took to local Honda dealer to have installed and they installed mains cuz I guess thats all the kit was for. which didnt help the problem between 3-4000 rpm, also it feels less responsive now in higher rpm. So I took back and they bumped up pilots to 48s which I believe stocks are 45. This fixed low rpm hesitation. but I still feel like mid - top end is incorrect now. I dont want to take it back there again now for a dealer they seem like there not familiar with carbs.

That said, Anyone know of a good mechanic in Cleveland Ohio area? Good with jetting on these hawks? Just want to get it right. Its powerful but it just seems like its not right on. I cant break tires loose by just pullin on throttle like some of these guys speak of. Thanks for any info guys!
Did they give you your old parts back when they put the jet kit in?

You can set them up yourself, if you wanted to do the work but I would need to know if it has the DynoJet kit installed (which would be different needles, springs, an extra lift hole in the slides) or if they just changed the mains before I could give you any advice on what to change.

Oh and yeah I have set up a carb or two....
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

You can set them up yourself, if you wanted to do the work but I would need to know if it has the DynoJet kit installed (which would be different needles, springs, an extra lift hole in the slides) or if they just changed the mains before I could give you any advice on what to change.

They did not and i just realized how bad that was. But i just ordered two stock neddles and two stock mains. Ive bumped pilots to 48 already which corrscted my mid 3000 rpm hiccup. They installed the jet kit first which was mains spring nesdles i guess. I noticed better pull through rpms with stock mains and needles. Which is why im going to switch them back. To answer your question yes dynojet kit is installed as of rt now with 48 pilots. Sorry about spelling, new phone lol

Last edited by jdavidc85; 08-23-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:56 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I've had very experienced mechanics (who I honestly trust with my bike) scold me for not using a jet kit and a K&N filter. So much that I went back and put them back in, only to have the bike run worse. I attempted to tune the aftermarket stuff (admittedly less experienced with this) but it was not a bolt in improvement like the mechanic pretty much guaranteed. So now I'm back to Mike's setup and it's great for the street riding that I do.

I'm just re-iterating what others are saying in that even experienced/trusted mechanics have a learning curve to do with our rare-ish bikes which could be frustrating for them and expensive for you.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
As has been said many times

Read the TPS adjustment thread
Read The Cam Chain Tensioner thread
Read the Pair system removal thread
Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Squid

Octo777 is on a distinguished road
04 SH, nice cans, K&N filter jetted good, 40mpg cruise

You are right to think they messed up by going smaller on the main jets. When you put good cans and a K&N filter on it you will end up probably with the biggest main jets Dynojet sends you. I originally had the same hesitation problem at 3000-4500 too. I also had a problem with the idle being way too rich because I was making the pilot jet bigger trying to get rid of the hesitation. It worked a little bit, but I got terrible gas mileage and plugs got black on a hot hot day on idle. The key was, don’t be afraid to go freaking big on the Main jet. I think I ended up one size bigger than the suggested size that DynoJet sends with the kit and I think I can still go a little bigger. Go back to the recommended pilot jet size that Dynojet send with the kit. However, beware that the hole size can be wrong from the manufacturer due to crappy machining. I had an issue and noticed that the hole in one of the pilots was too small and I opened it up with a drill that was the right size for the number jet it was. Then, you move the Jet needle clip down one or two more on the needle so the needle pulls out of the jet a little more to get rid of your hesitation. My bike pulls good, sounds great and gets 40 mpg and I am going to start crying now because I think I am about to sell it. My wife can't stand riding on it with me. I am the original owner and it only has about 8000 or 9000 miles on it if I remember. Ill have to check tomorrow when I put the battery back in it. It is black and has never been dumped except rubbing it on my door jam once trying to get it in and out of the wash area. The paint still looks perty.
04, about 9000 miles, black, Micron carbon fiber cans, K&N filter, Ignition advancer, Jetting is done and good, and 40 mpg. How much do you guys think it is worth? (crying icon here)
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

needle shimming per 8541hawk

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

According to 8541hawks sticky on carb setup im going from dj needles and mains to stockers. In the sticky it says to put a washer under rear needle and not under front which i get. But then it says it makes the needles .o3 & .04 higher than stock which is where im confused if a washer is only .01". Can anyone clarify, maybe im reading it wrong. What comes under the needles stock? As i was not the one to remove them to see. On my spare carbs i see a nylon spacer and a washer under needle but maybe that was done by po? Thanks for any and all input!