Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Need help planning oil cooler upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
Need help planning oil cooler upgrade

Hi Folks,

I need some help planning my oil cooler lines. This will be for my RC51 but the mounts are pretty much the same for the hawk so the planning should translate to the hawk. I've never worked the AN/NPT/whatever fittings and will need to do some modding to make if all mount up and this is where I need all the help.

I have no welding capabilies but have brazing capabilities. Thus I would like to go with something similar to that done here https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...r-lines-18143/by Kai ju in addressing the motor mounts.

Next I intend to keep the stock oil cooler and need a way to mount up to the stock cooler. I was thinking that I could tap the central opening on the oil cooler or again braze in an insert so that I could attach the lines.

I would like to use -8 lines with these straight swivel seal hose ends AN Swivel-Seal Hose Ends | ANplumbing.com

I need help figuring out what to use to braze to the engine mount and the oil cooler so that the threads from the -8 fitting (3/4-16sae) will mount up. I can't seem to find it.

Also from what I have gathered the mount "knuckle" on the engine is steel and thus would need a material compatible for brazing.... I am not sure whether the receiving head on the oil cooler is aluminum or steel...

Thanks for looking and any help.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
JEGS Performance Products 16263 JEGS Steel AN & NPT Weld Fittings
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I don't think that is what he is talking about.

You are going to need something custom to attach to the block. I've had this on my to-do list of projects for a while but have just been too busy to make it happen. Such a simple part should be easy! When you are ready just let me know and I'm sure I can crank some out for you.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I don't think that is what he is talking about.

You are going to need something custom to attach to the block. I've had this on my to-do list of projects for a while but have just been too busy to make it happen. Such a simple part should be easy! When you are ready just let me know and I'm sure I can crank some out for you.
It may not be what he was describing But it is what i plan on using to adapt the scavenged fittings from the OEM lines.

If someone is looking for an off the shelf fitting that will bolt to the engine case and or oil cooler, there are out there from a Japanese company at $107 a set.

If you can sliver solder or braze I think a weld on hard tube adapter $9 and a set of OEM lines is the ticket.

Time will tell I have both on there way to me now.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

Marquez, What you are showing there is what I would like to braze to the oil cooler , and a similar one to the end of the stock mount boss at the engine.

Anyone know what is sort for brazing material is used for steel?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
Marquez, What you are showing there is what I would like to braze to the oil cooler , and a similar one to the end of the stock mount boss at the engine.

Anyone know what is sort for brazing material is used for steel?
I use silver soldier
depending on the make up, silver solder has a melting point above 850 deg.. well above what the oil lines will see.

And it flows at a much lower temp then normal brazing fillers one might use with gas welding.

Silver solder is also what i use to make custom control cables.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
If you use the correct Honda OEM cooler (SP-1 I believe, with both inlets parallel to filter body) you don't even need custom lines (I know as this is essentially what I am running). YOu would, however, have to fashion a bracket, but that is quite simple.....
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Back Marker

Yes I am intending to keep the sp1 filter for my sp1. I will be mounting it vertically because I am working toward a front mount setup for the rc51. was not able to visualize what you were explaining. Could you give it another shot? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My bad, sorry, I thought you are talking about fitting a larger cooler to the VTR...... kindly disregard my message.....

Note to self: read OP carefully before responding.....