Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Looking for a good gas-card or cash-back credit card for gas...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:45 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Looking for a good gas-card or cash-back credit card for gas...

What do you guys have?

My CC used to pay me 5% back on food and gas, then 3%, now they got sneaky and moved it down to 1%. (Meanwhile advertising how great their new rewards program is. Great for them maybe.) I guess they figured me raking in $20 cash back every month and never paying them a dime of interest wasn't a good business model.

The gas stations around here charge about 2% extra for buying with credit card, so unless the card can beat that, I'll just pay with my ATM card instead and get their cash price.

Whaddaya got?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Squid

orangezuk is on a distinguished road
Here in Mn we have SuperAmerica stations that have a reward program. Swipe your keychain kinda thing. The cool part is if you buy gift cards, than use the gift card for gas you get 4 times the points plus a percentage off the sale.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:56 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Cash is king and Ca. Arco stations are usually cheaper than any other.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Been fillin my tank with the $150 Shell gas card that Harley Davidson gave me for test riding their bikes.

Other than that I use my regular CC at the Chevron stations near here, where the credit and cash price are the same. Racking up CC points.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM
SuperSport

Seems to vary by company.

Shell, Circle K, 7eleven. maybe Mobil have 1-price fits all. But generally it's on par with the credit price.

The others all have a lower cash price.

And obviously Arco is cash only, which is on par with the other cash prices.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Squid

rhorsley is on a distinguished road
I just got the ARCO Debit card (www.arcodebit.com). It links to your checking account, so it's just like using your ATM card, but without the $0.45 fee. Ease of pay-at-the-pump, where available, without the extra cost of the fee.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Hmmm...please check on this before acting. I believe it is against credit card regulations to an extra percentage or fee to use a credit card to make a purchase. Also, you are not allowed to give a discount for cash. Credit card companies may yank privileges from companies that violate these rules.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
Hmmm...please check on this before acting. I believe it is against credit card regulations to an extra percentage or fee to use a credit card to make a purchase. Also, you are not allowed to give a discount for cash. Credit card companies may yank privileges from companies that violate these rules.
Might be a state by state law thing. Here in Ca., retailers are free to charge a fee for credit/debit card usage.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
American Express Card through Costco. The $100 dollar annual fee is waived. Best deal out there.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:21 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nekkid
Hmmm...please check on this before acting. I believe it is against credit card regulations to an extra percentage or fee to use a credit card to make a purchase.
TRUE.

Also, you are not allowed to give a discount for cash. Credit card companies may yank privileges from companies that violate these rules.
FALSE. They are actually allowed to give a cash discount, but both prices must be posted clearly and the "Cash only" clearly visible. I know, it's stupid, sorta defeats the entire point of the regulation.

Some places have a minimum charge for credit, or add a fee. Those might be against the rules, not really sure. I haven't seen the MasterCard police at my local taco shop. I'll leave that up to the merchants and CC companies to battle over though.