Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Looking for HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
Steve...could you ask Andrew which shrouds will definately fit in the housing? Don't want to get one that is too big.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I think much of that will come down to personal choice. For myself I have ordered the "Iris"
Start out reviewing their tech material:

Helpful information on upgrading headlights from The Retrofit Source Inc

They indicate that trimming the shroud should be expected. Most of the shrouds don't go beyond the projector lens so I am not expecting front clearance issues.
As for the side and bottom I am expecting a little trimming with my dremmel may be required.
Go ahead and call Andrew, he doesn't bite - I bet the more interest he sees from the forum perhaps the more likely we will get these shipped with less than 10 participants.
While I did not ask if he had experience with the Superhawk headlight assembly, he did not offer that he did, so I doubt he will have first hand experience here.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Andrew recommended the GTi-R which is what I ordered.

..."We recommend the GTi-R shrouds here for the smallest Mini D2S projectors."
Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
just finished ordering thanks alot guys i hope i dont have much issue getting it installed haha
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Ordered

First Thanks to Seattle Superhawk for sparking the interest. I just got off the phone with Andrew and completed my order on-line. I ordered the Iris lens and the 5000K color.

FYI! I am told I am #3 to put in a order. In case any of you are not aware, but are interested in purchasing one of these retrofit kits, they need 10 orders before they will ship out all at the 15% discount rate.

I am hoping we do get more interest. Think of it as an investment in safety!
Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Not all of us put the order in yet, but soon enough I'm sure, still counting the heads I guess... Keep coming, it is a great deal!!!

Once we all get the kit, we will keep this thread alive with all the installation technical info' as well to make it easier and support the less experience members as we always do on this Forum.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Squid

xb9Fog is on a distinguished road
Has anyone here done this mod? If so, what was your experience splitting apart the headlight housing? Just wondering how difficult that was and if you can get it apart by heating it without breaking it. Really nice mod, I'm interested if I hear from someone that has split the housing apart without incident.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A lot of us have done similar conversions, when I did it two years ago there was no kit's available, so I made my own...

Opening the housing is fairly easy... You need a decent heatgun that you can adjust the temperature on, and two large flathead screwdrivers with wide heads... Then you pre-heat the whole housing by popping it in the owen a couple of minutes on low heat, prefferably around 70-80C (150-175F)...

Then carefully work around the edges, one screwdriver to hold the gap, another to gently pry, and point and shoot with the heatgun to get the sticky stuff to liquify and let go, just dont boil it... There are also tabs that you need to open with a smaller screwdriver... The wider the tools for prying, the less damage... And the "warm" plastic is soft and bendy, if it's cold it cracks instead... To hot though, and it goes bubbly...

Keep the sticky stuff you take apart... I wrapped mine in a piece of clean plastic bag... Then when you assemble, re-heat it and put it back... Won't work well with too much grime in it... And like when opening, stick the parts in the oven, and gently push it back together again...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by xb9Fog
Has anyone here done this mod? If so, what was your experience splitting apart the headlight housing? Just wondering how difficult that was and if you can get it apart by heating it without breaking it. Really nice mod, I'm interested if I hear from someone that has split the housing apart without incident.
We have several members that did just that, but not with the original reflector due to the size of the actual bulb housing, but they did need to split the headlight open for this. This mod doe's make it easier in a sense that you do use the original reflector, thus you don't need to create a new part replacing the reflector housing.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Here's one pics aren't that pretty, but gives you idea of space.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight-v2-23440/

And if you want to get some people riled up, stick some LED strips in while you're in there...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...light-d-20861/

I have a projector on mine, but not the stock housing so can't really say how hard that one was...
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Superstock

Verne
Just ordered mine. So there is one more.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
ordered
Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Squid

jdobeckj is on a distinguished road
give d2moto a look.. good prices and a fun selection of "crap"
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jdobeckj
give d2moto a look.. good prices and a fun selection of "crap"
The HID kits they sell is just that... CRAP... When will some people get the idea through their heads that a HID bulb without a projector is worse than the stock lighting in about 5 different ways...

If you are happy with your crappy HID bulb, fine, enjoy... But as long as you keep recommending them to others, I will keep telling you that you are wrong... Do we understand each other?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
The HID kits they sell is just that... CRAP... When will some people get the idea through their heads that a HID bulb without a projector is worse than the stock lighting in about 5 different ways...

If you are happy with your crappy HID bulb, fine, enjoy... But as long as you keep recommending them to others, I will keep telling you that you are wrong... Do we understand each other?
+1 Rest my case!!!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM
SuperSport

I put my order in Friday - It looks like maybe there are 6 orders so far? Anyone still on the fence?

As far as the non-projector kit, I have first hand experience. You will notice in my signature I have the DDM retrofit listed. You will also notice I drive a TSX so I know what a decent projector is like.
As previously discussed, there is no comparison. The retrofit bulbs are bright but they do not produce a band of light like projectors do. They also have random reflections that will annoy and dazzle others.
There are some of us who feel that dazzling others may be good as that will increase our visibility. That is an opinion. It has been argued before and I doubt opinions will be changed. That said the projector kit WILL provide significantly more light where it needs to be.
You will see better after dark. That's why I ponied up $140. The bulb retrofits can be cheap, but if your goal is to see better, I recommend you jump on this opportunity
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 AM
MotoGP

I'm just going to throw a little correction your way, as the terms are often interchanged incorrectly:

HID Conversion: Ballast/Harnass and HID bulb to be put into stock housing. These are cheaper and require less work. It is sold as an upgrade.

HID Retrofit: New projector along with the conversion kit to be put into an old housing, whether it be cars, motorcycles, or whatever that has an older halogen bulb. This is the full system, and often requires cutting and even alteration of the clear housing to get the full benefits of the light.

While an HID conversion loosely fits the definition of retrofit, when talking about HID headlights, a retrofit is concerned with installation of the full technology the way it was engineered and intended to be used. Like I said, the terms are often misused in casual conversation
Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM
SuperSport

Correction noted!

Now someone order - I'd like to get my retrofit kit this month so I can remove my conversion
Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Aw man, just when I was embroiled in working on my truck you guys gotta go and do this that I have been wanting for a while now!

I am hoping someone can post pics or results to show the difference from stock. I have the eastern beaver setup so am dragging my feet.

Question: Is projector beam HID or are they distinct? Also what is the downside to using car projectors?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:38 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Aw man, just when I was embroiled in working on my truck you guys gotta go and do this that I have been wanting for a while now!

I am hoping someone can post pics or results to show the difference from stock. I have the eastern beaver setup so am dragging my feet.

Question: Is projector beam HID or are they distinct? Also what is the downside to using car projectors?
The various projectors sourced used from cars are significantly bigger than these, with odd mounting ears since they are assymetrically mounted, and that means you need to either remove the reflector and build a frame to hold it, or if place permits, graft it to the reflector in some way... The one's I used are basically showed in there with a shoehorn...

These are "car" projectors technically... But these are specifically made to bolt to the hole in the reflector on a H4 headlight, being small enough to sit "inside" the stock reflector, meaning it's more or less a bolt on modification once you have opened the headlight up...
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
MotoGP

Thanks tweety but you're not helping me resist much.....
Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I am running the Eastern Beaver and a 100/55 bulb and have way better light than stock. I have matched mine up against a buddies HID and it is nothing close. The type/color and the amount of light available is incredible. Eastern Beaver and HID retro and I won't have to worry about upgrading the lights for a while.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM
MotoGP

So hawkrider, you are doing hid AND eastern beaver? Do you need sunglasses at night?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So hawkrider, you are doing hid AND eastern beaver? Do you need sunglasses at night?
I think doing both would be an overkill, I don't think you will see a difference in this case. But it wouldn't heart if you already have the Eastern B' on
Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 PM
SuperSport

The kit comes with a relay harness. The ballast will be wired to your battery through this. I don't see where wire sizes are noted but in theory the set up will be like the Eastern Beaver.

Probably Hawkrider98 could sell his EB and save some $$$
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
SuperBike

My order is in as well, we have 7 orders in so far, 3 left to go!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
SuperBike

Just wanted to link an older thread, but a good one on the same topic, Tweety thumbs up to you, as always:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...etrofit-22420/
Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 AM
SuperBike

Any additional members jumping on the deal???
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
MotoGP

Hmmm.. I may have a stock housing somewhere. If I find it tonight I could make one and re-sell the kit.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Hmmm.. I may have a stock housing somewhere. If I find it tonight I could make one and re-sell the kit.
So, are we having #8?

Quick Reply: Looking for HID conversion