Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Looking for HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Or use a hairdryer......
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
hey guys, took the headlight apart tonight and mounted the projector, not a bad job at all, granted my "glue" job doesnt look factory but noone will see it

just a quick question.

the wiring harness has TWO ballast outputs one orange/black and one blue/black

the 3five ballast i have only has the plug for 1 output. which do i plug in there and what do i do with the two wires ( red and black) running out of the projector setup?

i read as much as i could on TRS already but didnt find the answer.

if anyone has some input that would be great!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 PM
CPT Obvious
Squid

kbyers is on a distinguished road
I'm not at home right now so I can't check but the easiest way to figure it out is to hook up the wiring, except the plug for the ballast and the high beam shield. Power up the system with the low beam on and look for the relay with the green led on. That is the relay with the plug for the ballast. The other relay is for the high beam and that is the one that plugs into the plug coming out of the headlight.

If this doesn't make sense and no one else helps you out I will look at my bike when I get home, probably this time tomorrow. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
What is your 3Five ballast? I think the extra wires are just for another projector if you're running two (say for a car or a yamaha r1)

Last edited by 7moore7; 04-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

Maybe this pic will help, if your package is the same as mine:

Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  235.7 KB

The two large question marks are unused for the reason that I stated above.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Superstock

ours are quite different, i will post pics shortly

kbyers, your explanation made some sense, i THINK one of the connectors goes to the ballast, then the other i hook up with the supplied end and that goes to the solenoid (wires coming form the projector itself) the others are all self explanatory.

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Maybe this pic will help, if your package is the same as mine:

The two large question marks are unused for the reason that I stated above.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
MotoGP

Ok I suspected that from the way you were describing it... but couldn't be sure. I ordered mine before they were really doing motorcycle kits...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Superstock

ah that makes sense, the quality is great on this harness and i THINK i have figured it out, how did you write on the picture with the arrows and such?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Superstock

im pretty sure the blue/black is for the projector and orange/black is for the ballast, not 100% sure though

they supplied a connector that will mate with the one of the two, and i can use it on the two wires coming from behind the projector setup and then plug it into the blue/black connector...thats what im thining anyway
Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM
MotoGP

I cheated and used Adobe Illlustrator, which is kinda like using a Bugatti to deliver pizzas...

Is one of the plugs for hi and one for low beam?

I love the look of projectors inside of stock housing... nice work getting it in there!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Superstock

hahahaha ok i was just wondering it really helps to be able to specify what you are talking about. I think thats what it is one of the plugs just runs the solenoid that moves the projector for HI...

i am really pleased with how it turned out, my one concern is that i didnt use any glue or anything to hold the shroud on... its just a pressure fit, and AFTER i had the light back together i realized that it may come off with all the vibrating the hawk does. we will see i guess

i just cant wait to see the light difference

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I cheated and used Adobe Illlustrator, which is kinda like using a Bugatti to deliver pizzas...

Is one of the plugs for hi and one for low beam?

I love the look of projectors inside of stock housing... nice work getting it in there!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Squid

jdobeckj is on a distinguished road
SPEEDMETAL HID Light Kit check Cycle Gear - Motorcycle Gear and Motorcycle Accessories - Cycle Gear
Old 05-01-2012, 02:09 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
My bike had the HID light kit that just used the factory housing. Just as it seems most HID's set up this way do it seemed bright right around the front of the bike and any signs that were out a ways looked blue and lit up, but it just didn't seem to put a lot of light straight in front of you. I switched it out with a Sylvania Silter Star bulb tonight and man it's WAY better! The light actually goes where it's supposed to. Would be interesting to see how the HID's look with the projector housing but so far I'm likin my Silter Stars!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 AM
CPT Obvious
Squid

kbyers is on a distinguished road
You like your silver stars better because they are putting out the light the way it was meant to be done. Dropping hid bulbs into the stock reflector is dangerous. It provides poor light quality due to the fact that the stock reflector scatters the light instead of aiming it. But more importantly it is dangerous to the other drivers on the road. There is not a cut off like the hid projector housing has. These drop in bulbs need to be made illegal.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kbyers
You like your silver stars better because they are putting out the light the way it was meant to be done. Dropping hid bulbs into the stock reflector is dangerous. It provides poor light quality due to the fact that the stock reflector scatters the light instead of aiming it. But more importantly it is dangerous to the other drivers on the road. There is not a cut off like the hid projector housing has. These drop in bulbs need to be made illegal.
GTS, what kbyers said is spot on. You are very observant in noticing the light doesn't go where it's supposed to putting it in your stock bike. The whole point of a projector is controlling the light. The filament that is burning in an HID light is a different shape and in a different place than on an H4 bulb, so your housing doesn't reflect it properly.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I agree with you guys totally. All the a-holes on the road running their HID's in factory headlight buckets **** me off because I get sick of getting blinded by them. I've always said I think they like them better because with the disbursement of light directly around you but not projecting out in front of you makes them seem brighter and better when they actually aren't. Just now I've got to experience it for myself.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Superstock

well i got it all hooked up and running on my bike tonight, im not 100% happy with the angle of the beam though... i did dremel the rings notches about half way but its still slightly tilted... maybe i just need to find a way to keep it in place once i have it level (superglue???)

its pretty crazy how bright it is, its funny but i dont quite remember what my old light was for brightness...

just for reference that building is about 50 yards away... give or take
Old 07-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Squid

TJ91 is on a distinguished road
wow man that looks GREAT! I definitly have to do this mod. Im going to paint the inside reflective surface gloss black to complete the look.
Thanks for posting! Definitly on my to do list
Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Squid

superhawkfanboy88 is on a distinguished road
HID Kit

Hi, i was looking through this thread and it seems like they have several options on their website as far as shrouds go anyone know which one fits best ie less trimming? Would like to order one this week and get a head start on a winter project.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
All done.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for HID conversion-photo-1.jpg   Looking for HID conversion-photo-2.jpg   Looking for HID conversion-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by john3012; 02-02-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Squid

timbo2loose is on a distinguished road
Here is a look at mine complete with angle eye.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Like others,I applaud your ingenuity... But there is a simpler solution... Just buy a Euro spec switch, and keep the headlight turn off until after cranking...
Old thread, current question....
Anyone have a Honda PN for this "Euro spec switch," Tweety mentioned?

Im not finding it in any of the Online parts sites I've looked at (perhaps because none of them are in Europe )

Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

The projector in that kit is designed to be drop in..

Those of you that purchased this kit... can you tell us what options you choose in the various drop down menus for ordering?

Projector?
Bulb?
Ballast?
Shroud?
Halo?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Looking for HID conversion-hid.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez

Those of you that purchased this kit... can you tell us what options you choose in the various drop down menus for ordering?

Projector?
Bulb?
Ballast?
Shroud?
Halo?

Thanks
The projector should be obvious, the options are left hand/right hand drive, mostly for the oddball UK buyers...

The bulb, I'd recommend 4300K for visibily, the others are just for looking fancy, and actually gives less light the higher the Kelvin rate are...

As for 35W or 55W, match it with the ballast option, same wattage as the bulb... (3five = 35W, 5five = 55W) Other than that it's up to you but 35W is plenty, 55W will only draw more power and get slightly warmer on warm days, no real benefit in actual usable output (there is a difference, but it's very small in real life IMHO)... It's also slightly more bulky to mount, so on a bike, I'd choose 35W, and leave the 55W to cars...

Shrouds, I have tried Apollo and E-46, the "old" versions not the extended and such, and both work fine, and look decent... None will cover the projector 100%, and none of them come with mounting, that's up to you to figure out, since you aren't using any stock "cage" to mount the projector in... I'd actually recommend making your own "shroud" really, but that's not for the faint of heart...

Halo... Meh... Not for me, so I'll give no opinions...