SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Looking for HID conversion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/looking-hid-conversion-27804/)

Seattle_SuperHawk 03-16-2012 05:30 AM

Looking for HID conversion

Does anyone have a "how to " HID conversion thread with reputable suppliers ? Or better yet have one for sale ? Thanks in advance for your feedback. Searched " HID" did'nt turn up what i was looking for.

7moore7 03-16-2012 05:33 AM

Are you looking to throw an HID light into your stock housing (less than ideal) or do a full retrofit (ideal)?

Seattle_SuperHawk 03-16-2012 05:36 AM

7moore7 i guess i dont know. What i hope to achieve is to see better and be seen better. I am open to suggestions.

aja 03-16-2012 07:14 AM

Putting in a ballast and bulb will help, but the stock housing will scatter the light pretty good. A projector is the best way to do it.

Seattle_SuperHawk 03-16-2012 07:24 AM

then projector it is.... is there a build thread somewhere on here for that ? At one point i thought i saw one but now i cant find.

Tweety 03-16-2012 09:05 AM

Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

The projector in that kit is designed to be drop in... Ie take apart the headlight, stick this in the hole in your stock reflector and tighten the locknut, and you can aim it using the stock aiming bolts... Apart from routing the wires, and some weather proofing, it's done... And in kit form, you get the correct relay setup, to power it without burning the handlebar switch already nicely made for you... It simply cannot be any easier than this...

And the projector is impressive in output despite the small size... Plus it's a true Bi-Xenon projector with High/Low beam using a shroud, not a moving bulb, so it's a lot better than a lowbeam only projector, and light years ahead of the crappy H4/HID bulb hybrids that people tote as "conversions"...

Stevebis1 03-16-2012 01:16 PM

I've looked at the the site Markus has linked and they offer group buys. I'm almost ready to go this way - anyone else?

"Interested in buying bulk? We support small group-buys, and also offer general wholesale and drop-shipping services."

I'm up for this, looks like Seattle SuperHawk is to - anyone else? I'm a cheep SOB. I imagine we could get 10% off, maybe more with a handful of others.
Anyone up for this?

Upland111 03-16-2012 04:36 PM

I am considering options to be seen better by Day and have improved night visibility. Was looking at Eastern Beaver conversion but.....

A couple (OK four) questions on this option.

1. Is the HID conversion as reliable as standard/stock or Eastern Beaver conversion?
2. Is the life cycle of HID as good as a standard/EB system?
3. Being lower wattage, but utilizing a ballest, is current draw on elec. system (R/R) less/more than a standard/stock system w/ 60/55 bulb?
4. There are 4 bulb options, which is brightest/best? (Assuming the philips bulb because it is more costly)?

Thanks much!

Tweety 03-17-2012 05:28 AM

For starters, the Eastern Beaver kit's arent "conversions"... They are simply a relay and dedicated heavy wiring to power the stock H4 bulb without going through the wimpy stock wiring and handlebar switch wich is a bottleneck...

Yes, as long as you weatherproof the housing as well as stock once the installation is done, and mount the ballast in a safe place, the HID system is just as reliable as any stock system, Halogen or HID... Most of this work is already done with the kit, but not all...

The ballast and electronics of the system has roughly the same lifetime as your bike, ie one time purchase... The bulb in it self has a lifespan of roughly 3-4 years of "normal use" in a car, so perhaps a bit more in a bike with less hours/miles... Most of my H4 bulbs lasted shorter than this...

Watt is Watt... It's physics and math... And 35W is always less than 55W which is less than 60W... However, using a ballast on stock wiring is a really bad idea, since at startup the ballast exceeds the 35W by a lot for a short burst...

The Kelvin (K) rating on the bulbs indicate the color... 4300K is the best color to create light that the eye can actually use... Higher means blue/purple light, and might look brighter, but is actually less so in terms of visibility... And yeah, the Phillips bulb is probably better in terms of lifetime/quality, but rather marginally...

Seattle_SuperHawk 03-19-2012 06:26 AM

Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc Thanks Tweety

If other less busy forum moembers want to do the leg work on getting a group discount on this set-up from The Retrofit Source i am IN. Kids got me running all over the place so i cant dedicate the time. I did start an email chain with Adrew @ TRS and this place is legit... See email below. I can hold off on my build for awhile to get in on a discount.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the inquiry! For your Superhawk, I recommend the Sportbike Stage III kit with the Mini D2S projector, which will install without any cutting, in fact, we have install guides on our tech page to give some insight: Helpful information on upgrading headlights from The Retrofit Source Inc

Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc The Sportbike Stage III Kit includes:

Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-Xenon Projector
Morimoto 3Five D2S Ballast
Morimoto 3Five D2S Bulbs
Shroud of your choice
H4 Cycle Harness (to fit an '02 Superhawk)

and runs $150 plus international shipping rates.You have choices with this kit. Everyone loves choices!

Bulbs: 4300k, 5000k, 6000k temperatures. 4300k looks like sunlight, 5000k looks like fluorescent lighting, and 6000k is slightly blue in color. 4300k is the brightest (per lumen count), and as you progress into more color you lose usable light. Morimoto bulbs offer approximately 90% of the quality of the Philips bulbs at less than half the cost. Philips bulbs come only in 35w and 4300k, maintain their color for a longer period of time, and are OEM bulbs for a lot of factory HID setups. A visual guide is attached

Shrouds: There are many options here. Dimensions are provided on the particular shroud's item page and should be checked against your headlight for fitment. It is not atypical for a shroud to need to be modified to fit correctly into the headlight housing and generally the trimming isn't visible when the headlights are installed. Larger housings generally look best with larger shrouds such as the Apollo, Orbit, Gatling Gun, Gatling Gun 2, or MC-R. Smaller housings generally look best with E46-R or E46-R extended. Even having a chrome finish on these shrouds, they can be painted.
To give you a visual of what this setup looks like, here are some links for you to our customer-supplied gallery:
Mini D2S Output: TRSMatt's Album: Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-xenon Projectors

Sport Bike Retrofits: TRSMatt's Album: Sport Bikes!

If you think of any technical or sales questions simply reply to this email or give us a call at 404-220-7940 and we'll be glad to help!
All the best,
Andrew @ TRS

NHSH 03-19-2012 09:09 AM

Guy's, count me in as well, I've been looking for a while now for something decent but also not very expensive and a projector is the only right way to go!!!

I would also like to bring to all the readers attention the following:
Just out of curiosity, I tried on more then a few bikes several Bi Xenon HID applications that I got for free from a friend that distributes motorcycle aftermarket parts. But unfortunately cannot recommend non HID conversions for correct fitment and operation!

If you fit the HID bulb as is, it will not be positioned in the exact space as the halogen bulb inside the housing, as such, the light distribution will be incorrect and you will not see much at night even though the HID is allot brighter, in fact it will confuse your eyes and can cause you to misjudge the road condition.

I played with spacers, brackets and what not, to try to position the bulb as the Halogen bulb, so that the reflector will distribute the light correctly.
Even if you do find the sweet spot, which is not easy at all, the moment you turn the high beam and the solenoid kicks the bulb upwards the light will not spread evenly with the original reflector on any bike, as the bulb will never be in the correct position under both high and low beam switching unless you have a dual capsule bulb instead that is measured as the OEM Halogen filaments exact position, which I haven't found yet.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to go for this specific projector HID, but if you want HID conversion, don't waist your time on the bulb conversion only, you need projector kit if you want it done right!!!

Bearshawk 03-19-2012 09:17 AM

im in for 150 or less! sounds great to me

7moore7 03-19-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 327700)
I'm not trying to convince anyone to go for this specific projector HID, but if you want HID conversion, don't waist your time on the bulb conversion only, you need projector kit if you want it done right!!!

+1... I am a big fan of the projector.

And I've had very good communication with Matt at TRS (The Retrofit Source). He was a great guy and helped me with all of my very basic and tedious questions as I didn't know much at the time and didn't want to mess anything up.

NHSH 03-19-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 327706)
+1... I am a big fan of the projector.

And I've had very good communication with Matt at TRS (The Retrofit Source). He was a great guy and helped me with all of my very basic and tedious questions as I didn't know much at the time and didn't want to mess anything up.

That's great, you don't get much help in most places, not to mention dealerships. it seems like these guy's are serious and care about the business, if all goes well we can wright recommendations and so on. I have access to hundreds of riders in my area alone.

Tweety 03-19-2012 03:18 PM

I rarely recommend people... These guys I heartily recommend... ;) They will help out as much as they possibly can...

NHSH 03-19-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 327723)
That's great, you don't get much help in most places, not to mention dealerships. it seems like these guy's are serious and care about the business, if all goes well we can wright recommendations and so on. I have access to hundreds of riders in my area alone.

Sorry for the typo :) just noticed that as I was reading Tweety' last post, I meant Write recommendations.

Seattle_SuperHawk 03-19-2012 11:09 PM

So let it begin..... Who is willing to take the lead on this. and is everybody in agreement that the Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc as it is offered is the way to go ? How many need to be ordered for a price break ? Lets do this !

NHSH 03-24-2012 07:27 AM

Any takers on the lead? Or any additional people interested? I will end up getting this anyway some time later, but it would be nice to get with a group discount ;)

Please review the link and read the tread, if Tweety said it's good, be sure IT IS!

xeris 03-24-2012 09:20 AM

$150. seems like a very good deal for all that is included.
As far as output, As previous stated a watt is a watt. The big advantage with HID is lumen output/watt. It really doesn't get any better than HID. Heat is an issue with HID, but this kit, with the housing included, it will be a non-issue.
I have seen a video of an HID conversion that used a delay relay to keep the HID off for a few seconds while starting the bike. I don't know if the automotive systems are that different than commercial/agricultural HID (where bulbs are $100+) systems. I suspect not. The reason I mention it is cycling the bulb on and off rapidly shortens the life/lumen output of the bulb. Hot starting, powering up the bulb, before it has had a chance to cool down is another no-no. This may not be that important in the automotive application, but just an FYI

NHSH 03-24-2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 328129)
$150. seems like a very good deal for all that is included.
As far as output, As previous stated a watt is a watt. The big advantage with HID is lumen output/watt. It really doesn't get any better than HID. Heat is an issue with HID, but this kit, with the housing included, it will be a non-issue.
I have seen a video of an HID conversion that used a delay relay to keep the HID off for a few seconds while starting the bike. I don't know if the automotive systems are that different than commercial/agricultural HID (where bulbs are $100+) systems. I suspect not. The reason I mention it is cycling the bulb on and off rapidly shortens the life/lumen output of the bulb. Hot starting, powering up the bulb, before it has had a chance to cool down is another no-no. This may not be that important in the automotive application, but just an FYI

I would just use a shut off switch for the head light circuit anyway, till starting the bike. I would not trust delay circuit for the above reason. you can use different applications, but I would look for either integrated switch like Tweety did off a Suzuki, or anything else you can install in the proximity of the handle bar for convenience so you don't have to remove your hand of the grip to switch.

Tweety 03-24-2012 02:34 PM

I like my Busa handlebars... 4-way emergency flasher is just the icing on the cake... ;)

Stevebis1 03-24-2012 07:29 PM

Guys, from what I can see it looks like there is 5 or so interested. I will call on Monday and see what they will do for us.
l'll post back after the call and give the details

Stevebis1 03-26-2012 08:55 AM

Called and spoke with Andrew from Seattle SuperHawks email. Basically for 5 or so people they will set us up with a 10% coupon code. If we could get more the discount could go deeper, but I expect we would have to at least double our end.

I'm going to follow up with an Email to Andrew, link this page and when he comes back with the coupon code I'll post it

Bearshawk 03-26-2012 10:32 AM

is this a bike specific kit? i dont recall reading that it was

if not i could probably get 2 friends on board

7moore7 03-26-2012 10:49 AM

Nope, it's specific to motorcycles in that it only has one projector that is minimal in size (to fit in your stock housing) and has a hi/low switch. But any motorcycle that uses an H4 bulb it will work on (which is pretty much all of them).

If you have a bike with two headlights (for instance, the Yamaha R1) your setup will probably be a little different.

Verne 03-26-2012 01:14 PM

I might be able to swing for one. Need a better alternative then the one conversion I tried (with out a projector) and the stock bulb.

NHSH 03-26-2012 11:28 PM

Stevebis1, lets see if we could get more people on this for the next few days.

Keep coming guy's, we need more people, this is a great deal for a nice product!

Stevebis1 03-27-2012 01:15 PM

All,

I received the below from Andrew. The code is good for 15% but as you can see we need 10 people to join in.
With this code and paying about 0.40 more to go with UPS (I won't go USPS as there is no adequate tracking) it totals thusly:

Order Total

Sub-Total:$127.50
UPS Ground:$12.10
Coupon superhawkGB15:-$22.50
Total:$139.60

I hope hope other decide to jump in, I think $140 is a pretty good deal for an almost turnkey solution.

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the email. That coupon code is superhawkGB15. Once the 10 entrants get in we'll start shipping those out!

Thanks Steven

Andrew @ TRS

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/ima...rew_powers.png

taskmasta 03-27-2012 06:22 PM

Count me in. I just purchased an extra headlight for this exact reason.

HawkRider98 03-27-2012 06:51 PM

In and placed order