Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

my new headlight, v2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:02 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
my new headlight, v2

i had to redo the projector on the bike so i went with a no added extra setup. just your basic fxr bi xenon projector with morimoto 5000k bulb, morimoto 35w ballast and the harness. trs supplied the parts for a good price and were a pleasure to deal with. thanks to tweety for recommending them and for answering all of my questions and thanks to residentg for shipping me out a broken headlight that i had needed parts from to make mine work. and now onto the finished product

first this is while the glue i used was setting, you can see the reflector has a piece missing but it works so theres no complaints
Name:  DSC_4821.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  90.8 KB

with the lens on
Name:  DSC_4822.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  74.4 KB

mounted to the bike
Name:  DSC_4824.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  83.2 KB

and a lo beam shot of it lighting up my backyard
Name:  DSC_4826.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Wow that looks really nice. I hadn't though much about headlight upgrades, but it's probably a worthwhile upgrade. I'll be looking into that. Nice work
Old 08-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
looks good uchi, now will you do mine?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
I like the reflection of your face and camera in the object to the left in the second pic. While I am sure you are a nice looking man, that image is creepy!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I got one almost ready to go... Shipping isn't much fun, but other than that... I sell them from time to time on the Swedish forum... I'm missing a decent front glass so I'm waiting on another used one...
Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. These are really easy to do. Hardest part is lining up the projector. Mine is a little high but in reality it lights up the road so much better and wo far I haven't been flashed or flipped off so it can't be that bad :-)

It's a good thing I wasn't naked when I took the picture. Could have been real embarrassing LOL
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
If you have to separate the stock headlight lens from the reflector, is there a seal to break? If so is this step tricky?

Maybe some posted pics from someone installing these would encourage a few less bold to jump on this upgrade.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
If you have to separate the stock headlight lens from the reflector, is there a seal to break? If so is this step tricky?

Maybe some posted pics from someone installing these would encourage a few less bold to jump on this upgrade.
We are going through the process of group purchasing of the kit for HID Projector and there's some good links on the thread you can look at, also if you do some research on Tweety's posts he did explain in details the entire process, I just don't remember the thread it was on.
Here is the link for the most resent discussion:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...version-27804/
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Duh... I should have paid attention to the last post date. I confused this thread for the current one. I hate when I do that!!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I've considered an HID but I feel a headlight modulator (HID cannot run with a mofset HLM) is more important safety wise in consideration of the limited amount of night riding I do (old eyes), plus I have twin 50W halogen driving lights (DL); though I'm considering replacing them with LED units to reduce current load on the tiny 280W we have available.

I've looked at LED DL and they are getting better but maybe not worth it for the big bucks they still demand.

Markus, you know of any decent LED DL at a decent price?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
I've considered an HID but I feel a headlight modulator (HID cannot run with a mofset HLM) is more important safety wise in consideration of the limited amount of night riding I do (old eyes), plus I have twin 50W halogen driving lights (DL); though I'm considering replacing them with LED units to reduce current load on the tiny 280W we have available.

I've looked at LED DL and they are getting better but maybe not worth it for the big bucks they still demand.

right now we have a fourm deal through the retrofit source and we can get a basically drop in HID setup for 140 ish shipped, even with old eyes, you would be SEEN better, and the current draw is significantly less than the halogens, albeit not as low as LED
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Bearshawk
right now we have a fourm deal through the retrofit source and we can get a basically drop in HID setup for 140 ish shipped, even with old eyes, you would be SEEN better, and the current draw is significantly less than the halogens, albeit not as low as LED
U apparently did not comprehend my opening sentence. I know HID have a lower current draw after ignition (actually is a bit higher during ignition) and are brighter (and thus more conspicuous than halogen) but HID will not work with a headlight modulator (which I KNOW make a motorcycle even more conspicuous than even HID).
Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM
MotoGP

Actually, nope... I haven't looked into them... I'm happy with my HID projector... It's conspicous enough for me, and since HLM's are deemed illegal in Sweden (restricted to emergeny vehicles), it's never been an issue for me...

Couldn't you hook the HLM to the DL's, and replace the headlight with a HID projector? That would both reduce the load at driving in total, and make you about as visible as would be humanly possible...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually, nope... I haven't looked into them... I'm happy with my HID projector... It's conspicous enough for me, and since HLM's are deemed illegal in Sweden (restricted to emergeny vehicles), it's never been an issue for me...

Couldn't you hook the HLM to the DL's, and replace the headlight with a HID projector? That would both reduce the load at driving in total, and make you about as visible as would be humanly possible...
I'd never b4 considered a HID for its conspicuity and already invested $90 in a new mosfet HLM (that also permits using your choice of wire gauge) and at least for now cannot afford to jump in on the HID group buy. As far as running the HID with the DL on the HLM reducing current load, even a 35w HID does not reduce amp draw that much over 55w halogen (3.9 vs 3.7) and with only 280w available I cannot run the dual 50w DL continuously. Now it may be possible to run the 3rd eye (position light) on the HLM but I changed the 5w OE incandescent to a LED. Now I'm not sure how a LED would react to being on a HLM and even if I went back to the incandescent, modulation of either one would probably be "lost" in the HID.

To cut down current draw I am looking at changing the rear TS/RL to amber 1157 LED []LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS (I moved the front TS/RL to the rear and ran power for the RL ) and swinging for the LED conversion [http://www.customled.com/products/fl...lushmount.htm] that fit into my LP3 front "flush mount" TS/RL.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM
MotoGP

I'd never b4 considered a HID for its conspicuity and already invested $90 in a new mosfet HLM (that also permits using your choice of wire gauge) and at least for now cannot afford to jump in on the HID group buy. As far as running the HID with the DL on the HLM reducing current load, even a 35w HID does not reduce amp draw that much over 55w halogen (3.9 vs 3.7) and with only 280w available I cannot run the dual 50w DL continuously. Now it may be possible to run the 3rd eye (position light) on the HLM but I changed the 5w OE incandescent to a LED. Now I'm not sure how a LED would react to being on a HLM and even if I went back to the incandescent, modulation of either one would probably be "lost" in the HID.

To cut down current draw I am looking at changing the rear TS/RL to amber 1157 LED []LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS (I moved the front TS/RL to the rear and ran power for the RL ) and swinging for the LED conversion [http://www.customled.com/products/fl...lushmount.htm] that fit into my LP3 front "flush mount" TS/RL.
Why not do the LED insert mod that Haknslash came up with? That certainly cuts down on power consumption, and it will outshine those LED replacements by a wide margin, making you more visible from the behind as well... Mine is plenty bright...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Why not do the LED insert mod that Haknslash came up with? That certainly cuts down on power consumption, and it will outshine those LED replacements by a wide margin, making you more visible from the behind as well... Mine is plenty bright...
Did that at least a year ago...

Also replacing my ancient NEON auxiliary brake light license plate frame with an LED unit I'm assembling from bits.

But I still will manage to run my GPS, RD, DL, heated vest & grips when feasible while keeping a close eye on my LED volt meter!